Letting chickens out

Pictorhens

Chirping
Nov 30, 2018
So, currently my chickens are living in a very large stable, pleantly of room for exercise and lots of enrichment. I’m really wanting to get them into outdoor (either free roaming for the day times and then in for the nights or building a run for them)

Does any one have any advice or previous experience on just opening their door and letting them become free roaming - how do I do it so that they come back and not wander off too far?

Would there be too many predators being on a farm and would a run be best?

A run is safer than free range, but that's a personal preference. If you're OK with possible loss from predators, yes you can simply open the door and entice them outside. They should return to the coop when it starts getting dark. I would check on them for the first few days to be sure they are coming back.

Also, check the breed, some are not good free rangers. Flighty birds, I had some, 16 went so far up in the trees we couldn’t get them. They all were Fox food. I still free range just don’t get birds that are not good free rangers. rs.

I started letting mine out right before dark. That way they dont go to far before needing to roost so if you do have to catch a few its easier. After about a week. Open in morning by dark they all go to coop

Back
Top Bottom