Letting your inner cheap out

I am a craigs list 'free' section junkie...i LOVE IT. I have picked up some really neat stuff, including a wonderful chandelier for our new barn.....

Some peoples trash is another persons treasure

i grew up using our bath towels a couple times too, when I was with my oldest father he would just throw them wet in the hamper, drove me nuts! I use cold water to wash everything but towels and sheets. My current boyfriend and I actually have conversations about where we found the best deal. We have a bread store too but its 40 minutes away (my son goes to school near there) so wheneverI get down that way I stock up for my gram too.

Heres a good one for you, my great grandmother was so cheep........... she dried and reused paper towels. She always took the plastic silverware when we went out to eat. Actually I know people who still do that.

Quote:
No craigslist "area" near me.

When we moved from San Diego - I offered up a BUNCH of my stuff, and it was SO annoying, with tons of people wanting something, holding something for someone that doesn't show up etc. etc.... I gave up - a ton of stuff went to a guy at my hubby's work, the rest we just left behind!
DID NOT THROW A CAR FULL OF STUFF AWAY - LEFT THE STUFF AT THE HOUSE!
I really wasn't comfortable giving out our address (even though we were moving) I'd leave stuff on the corner of the street, and then have to go get it again when there was a no show...

Last edited:
PS - today would be the day to dig in my trash! Threw away a couple of jackets my husbands grandfather wore....

Eeew! I don't do old clothes.
wink.png

And before you diss my trash can & matching tissue cover, you should know that they still had the price tags on them - $40 for pair. And that was the discounted TJ Maxx price! (Seriously, who would pay that much to hide a box of tissues????) I live in a city where not only are there a million thrift stores, but various charities will actually come to your house, pick up the stuff off the porch AND leave you a tax receipt. So really, no excuse to throw away a car full of stuff just because you're moving.

Now if you'll excuse me, there are a pair of vintage wooden doors with art deco hardware sitting in the alley down the block and I think I hear them calling me.....

I reuse my bath towels for a couple days, have all of my tv, vcr, etc on a power strip I turn off when I'm not using them. I try to line dry clothes as much as possible.

I don't remember the last time I bought any clothing new... with the exception of undergarmets.

I have a huge house so I stock up on anything I can when it is on sale... laundry detergent ( I hope to start making my own soon), toilet paper, peanutbutter, sugar, etc.

I use compact flourescent bulbs almost exclusively in my house.

I try to take reusable shopping bags when I go to the store, but all the plastic bags I get get used for kitty litter cleanup and bathroom trash cans.

I take my trash to a friends house who has a dumpster so I don't have to pay for trash pickup.

I am beginning to shuffle debt on no payment no interest for 12 mo or 6 mo deals... like all the supplies for my chicken coop, which would have otherwise gone on my credit line are now interest free for a year.

I take my lunch to work most days... sometimes I splurge one day out of the week on jo jos from the IGA... for under $2.

I almost never carry cash... ot makes it a lot easier to avoid all those little purchases that really add up... I'd usually rather go without something that costs a buck or 2 than pay for it with my debit card.

I save aluminum cans... I am compulsive about not throwing them away... it is horrible for the envirnment and besides that you get money for them.... and the scrap yard is only about 3 miles from my house.

I keep a scrap pile and a loty of people I know will offer me their unwanted scrap.

I keep my thermostat at 62 in the winter and I don't have central air... I limit myself to a window air conditioner that I use only during the hottest part of the summer to help me sleep at night because I work in the heat all day.

I have been know to go dumpster diving... or pick up things off the side of the road.

I frequent auctions and garage sales.

I work at an auto dealership so I get all of my auto parts at discount and I work on my own vehicles. It also means I have uniforms.. so I save on laundry.

I get books from the library or look up information online instead of buying books.

Instead of buying all my christmas gifts, I make a lot of them.

I also spend a lot of time shopping clearance racks, thinking about how I could reuse something or turn it into something else.

Let's see....

I always shop at goodwill but only on wednesday when it's senior citizen discount day and I take my mom with me
smile.png

I collect all the area grocery ads and price override the sale items at wal-mart. All meals are planned around the sale items.

I reuse all plastic materials tell they fall apart. Bags for trash/litter, water bottles in fridge, water transport for outside, buckets to collect food from garden.

Everyone has their own towel for a week or more (tell it smells anywaz, lol)

Share a dumpster with my MIL for trash service.

No credit cards, car payments (finally)

I save and donate my aluminum cans to the Boy Scouts

Hit all garage sells during the week (my mom loves to go)

Clothes, unless soiled, are worn more than once.

Just had a garage sell and afterwards stuck everything on the curb and listed it for free on craigslist. People come at night and take it away.

My mom and dad will buy in bulk and split with us. We all share food, like if I or them or my MIL has leftovers then we give the meal to the next person so they can have some to. Nothing goes to waste. What is left goes to the chickens, lol.

I save the lint from my dryer to make fire starters for camp outs (lint + wax)

My grandma use to make us unwrap our presents slowly so we wouldn't tear the paper and she'd save it to wrap presents in the next year. I do save the boxes and bags but the paper is a bit much.

Just a few
smile.png

Quote:
YOU DID NOT!!!!! ROFL, silly girl! You just crack me up! Do ya wear the chicken thong when ya shower?
lau.gif

Uh-hem! That was a GUINEAFOWL thong, not a chicken thong
roll.png

lol.png

We wash our kids in the their swimming pool, too. I guess we are a house full of skinny dipping exhibitionists.
wee.gif

i sell eggs as well.....
tongue.png

I would collect rain water (but its not allowed here)

I would grow my own veges (but that takes water, which I can't collect)

I would burn horse poo to heat the house, but we don't have a fireplace.

I would walk to work...but its 28 miles away...and public transport is non-existent

I am thinking of busking....but not much call for an aussie ukelele player

But i love craigs list.......

Dumpster Divin, Thrift store shoppin, zip loc re-usin, nail savin, shoe lace recyclin hillbillies that use the coffee filter twiced before its throwed out!
big_smile.png
(and still pump well water by hand for EVERYTHING its needed outside!!

Back
Top Bottom