lice and mites

Ty sonya9, I never thought of the burning, the spray, do you rub it in all over? How often? And last ? :), Do you know how early can I treat?

So, if I sprinkle 7 dust with dirt and ashes, and let them role when they want I should be ok? Just do not want lice we keep our yard well sprayed just want extra precautions!

Ty sonya9, I never thought of the burning, the spray, do you rub it in all over? How often? And last ?
smile.png
, Do you know how early can I treat?

I would wait until they were at least 8-10 weeks, they aren't going to get mites right away but eventually they probably will get exposed due to wild birds in their run. Use the puppy and kitten spray bottle Frontline (not the vials used for dogs), one spray under each wing and then on the vent. Repeat every few months. With dogs a few drops on the neck protects their whole body so there is no need to overspray the chickens.

I live in middle GA and yes there are lots of little creepy crawlies though I have never seen mites. If your chickens have a good sized run and you keep the coop clean (see the thread on poop boards and PDZ, they keep the coop super clean) there shouldn't be any smell. Do be very careful about chemicals to kill bugs around the chickens and do not spray anything they have access too as they will eat grass and just about everything green. On the upside the chickens will do a lot to get rid of ticks in the areas they have access to.

Last edited:
I would wait until they were at least 8-10 weeks, they aren't going to get mites right away but eventually they probably will get exposed due to wild birds in their run.  Use the puppy and kitten spray bottle Frontline (not the vials used for dogs), one spray under each wing and then on the vent.  Repeat every few months.  With dogs a few drops on the neck protects their whole body so there is no need to overspray the chickens.

I live in middle GA and yes there are lots of little creepy crawlies though I have never seen mites.  If your chickens have a good sized run and you keep the coop clean (see the thread on poop boards and PDZ, they keep the coop super clean) there shouldn't be any smell.   Do be very careful about  chemicals to kill bugs around the chickens and do not spray anything they have access too as they will eat grass and just about everything green.  On the upside the chickens will do a lot to get rid of ticks in the areas they have access to.
, TY! South Ga, is a sticky, icky area, :), we have mosquito's seriously the size of 50¢ coins, so I think I'm going to use the dust bath with everything in it to always be on the safe side!

Diatomaceous earth works to kill any soft bodied insect. I sprinkle some occasionally in the dirt where they dust off. Never had a problem with mites. It also has tons of uses around the house and garden and is totally natural and non toxic. I got mine mail order a couple years ago, also there is an advertisement on this site.

Back
Top Bottom