Liege fighter or game fowl rooster?

hanneke

Chirping
13 Years
Mar 5, 2010
I want a rooster for my girls.
I have found a liege fighter (Luikse vechter) which is from my home country so I’m a bit biased.
The other is a game fowl rooster.
Both are colorful and gorgeous.
Any pros and cons you could share?

On both (I've only owned the Old English Games), they're both protective breeds. That can be both a pro and con. Pro because they're good protectors of the flock; con because they might attack you, children, or anyone else they might see as a threat.

I want a rooster for my girls.
I have found a liege fighter (Luikse vechter) which is from my home country so I’m a bit biased.
The other is a game fowl rooster.
Both are colorful and gorgeous.
Any pros and cons you could share?
“Game fowl” can be one of many breeds. What specific gamefowl breed are you looking to compare to a Liege fighter?

I currently have two roosters since they were chicks, flarry eye gray and liege fighter. They are both crowing now and over 1 year old. The smaller flarry eye grey starting crowing and mating about 4-6months before the liege. Liege is now crowing and very inquisitive and friendly. The flarry eye is much more protective of the ladies and the first to run and patrol at the sign of any problem. I had feed store roosters that hatched the same time and they all matured very quickly (barred rock and jersey giant roos). Maybe because they grew so fast compared to the flarry eye and liege, both jersey giant roo and barred rock became aggressive and seemed abnormally hormonal - tortured the hens and attacked my children. My two roosters I still have are 100% respectful of humans but they are starting to fight with eachother now with about 20+ hens to choose from. I knew this could happen and now I'll probably rehome one.

Things to consider... The liege fighter looks way too big for some of my girls. You might want to consider that a smaller rooster seems to have no problem with bantams thru large breeds. The liege still struggle to breed with smaller birds- even a rhode island pullet (maybe it's just inexperience?). My hens are bruges fighter, jersey giant, rhode island, braham, barred rock, ginger oxford fowl.

Also to consider, the liege fighter and a few jersey giants have problems getting down from the high roost bars. They need another platform to transition to the ground or else they hit the ground with quite a thump and could get hurt easily.

That being said, my liege fighter rooster is my favorite chicken I have ever owned in 10+ years and my second would be the ginger oxford pullet (shes weirdly friendly, will perch on arm). I don't know much about the ginger oxford roosters but I'm curious

Back
Top Bottom