Life In The Land Of Summer~

If you lived closer you would be welcome to some of my extra cockerels and future chicks
smile.png
Unfortunately there are too many borders between us not to mention miles and miles of ocean haha Your chickens are beautiful as well, I am especially jealous of Moonshine, She is soo beautiful and a good mother too!
Moonshine is my third favourite hen...I love her!!

More pics from yesterday. Gonna start naming the ones I'm positive are female and maybe even the cockerels I'm hoping to keep like Marcus....even if I have to cull him due to aggression in the future I felt his distinctive personality was deserving of a name.

Well it snowed in the Land of Summer last night and there was still enough on the ground this morning for the chickens of all ages to have their first experience with snow. Luckily it was also a gorgeous sunny morning, the first in a while, so everyone was very eager to get out and run around!
At first most stuck to the edge where the snow had already melted but some soon decided to test their feet on some snow.

Marcus was happy to find that some things where still the same...Especially the winter-soft apples.

Some enjoyed a boost in camouflage.

While others sadly did not.

The older ladies even found a special treat!

Chester always looks his best in the sun.

And he seems to feel his best too.

Many dust/sun baths where had by all.

Olive was enjoying herself very thoroughly...

...Until others decided her spot looked nice...

...And she was almost totally buried under a pile of dust bathers!

Its not just Chester who looks good in the sun!

Inanna tries her hardest to break up the party...

But eventually she gives up.

This little one hid from her under my leg so he could keep dust bathing haha.

Chester shows no signs of aggression towards the little ones but he does seem to be awfully confused but them. He often tries to heard the little pullets away from the little cockerels but he makes a sweet sound and only gently nudges them around. Hopefully he stays like this and wont put up a fight if they want to be with a different roo when they mature. I don't know how he will react if one of them decides to challenge him.

Here are some pictures of what I woke up to this morning. All the snow from the other day had already melted and we where expecting 5-10mm. We don't usually get this much snow at once and I've never seen it wet enough to cling to stuff like that before.Everything was collapsing under the weight. I did not build the fence for the run to withstand that kind of weight and the top half folded like an accordion. Needless to say I had an impromptu workout this morning fixing the fence and shoveling a path and a clear area for the chickens.

Everyone in the land of summer is adjusting well to the snowy conditions. The two flocks are coming closer together everyday, though I suppose they are pushed together a bit by their reluctance to touch the snow. A few days ago I started giving them their pellets mixed with warm water twice a day as I noticed one of the little cockerels is quite light compared to his brothers and sisters and his crop never seemed to get all the way full. Now he fills right up and everybody else loves it and eat it like they've never eaten before!! I also hung up a few apples in the coop to entertain them.
A few of the cockerels where having a boys only party on the top shelf when I went out to take a few pics.

Chester and the RSL ladies.

Lilith.

Robin.

Food.

Got some FABULOUS pics of Chester today!!

Unnamed pulled.

Olive.

Maybe keeper cockerel.

Maybe keeper cockerel.

Olive.

Food face.

Maybe keeper cockerel.

Food.

Unnamed pullet.

Marcus.

Persephone.

Tiger AKA Food.

Food.

Unnamed Pullet.

Persephone.

Isis.

Haha yeah I know. The title of the thread is actually a play on words as the town I live in is called Summerland. If the property you live on is actually 2000+ acres like you mentioned on your thread than the whole town could almost fit inside it!!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom