Life In The Land Of Summer~

WOW!!! I love this thread! I have been following you on the other thread and thought that i loved it soo much that i must carry on over herE!!!!! I love your chickens! They are soooo beutiful!!! I SAW A WHILE AGO YOU POOSTED A PIC OF YOUR EGG AND WOW
ep.gif
WAS ONE OF THEM HUGE!!!!
Keep this thread going, i love it!!!

Awwwe thanks so much
big_smile.png
I'm glad you enjoy my rants and pic avalanches haha I love these guys so much its hard to keep them to myself ! I've been super impressed by the laying the Red Sex-Linked girls are doing. I keep a daily record of eggs laid as well as eggs sold, feed purchased and the like. They lay an egg each nearly every day. Out of 4 girls there where only 5 days out of the past 30 with 3 eggs, all the other days where 4 eggs! and they are a consistent size too. My BF's mom has a whole flock of 30 or so and they lay similar to mine (Some of the eggs are even light brown with dark brown speckles) and they come in a subtle yet wide range of colours. I would definitely recommend these as layers to anyone! I will definitely keep this thread going as long as I have chickens! Once I start talking about them I just can't seem to stop !

Awwwe thanks so much :D I'm glad you enjoy my rants and pic avalanches haha I love these guys so much its hard to keep them to myself ! I've been super impressed by the laying the Red Sex-Linked girls are doing. I keep a daily record of eggs laid as well as eggs sold, feed purchased and the like. They lay an egg each nearly every day. Out of 4 girls there where only 5 days out of the past 30 with 3 eggs, all the other days where 4 eggs! and they are a consistent size too. My BF's  mom has a whole  flock of 30 or so and they lay similar to mine (Some of the eggs are even light brown with dark brown speckles) and they come in a subtle yet wide range of colours. I would definitely recommend these as layers to anyone! I will definitely keep this thread going as long as I have chickens! Once I start talking about them I just can't seem to stop !

Awesome!

Winter is coming to the land of summer...predicted 60% chance of flurries this evening and tomorrow with an overnight low of -10C
tongue.gif
I love winter but am worried a bit about Chester and his huge a** comb. Today I covered the gravel floor of the chicken house with a layer of wood shavings and a 4-6 inch layer of dry grass over top. Now they should be comfy/warm for the winter, especially on their little chicken tosies. Hopefully none of them decide to lay on the floor now that it is so cozy haha They have tonnes of shelf space to choose from. Also hopefully the adults learn to use the roosts soon so the shelves stay cleaner. Anyways Here are a few pics from yesterday.

Some better pics of the chicken house post clean/reno.

Chester

Hera.

Very few of the little ones have names but this one is called Olive.

Robin.

Marcus Aurelius.

Marcus

Marcus.

Olive.

Olive.

Olive.

Winter is coming to the land of summer...predicted 60% chance of flurries this evening and tomorrow with an overnight low of -10C
tongue.gif
I love winter but am worried a bit about Chester and his huge a** comb. Today I covered the gravel floor of the chicken house with a layer of wood shavings and a 4-6 inch layer of dry grass over top. Now they should be comfy/warm for the winter, especially on their little chicken tosies. Hopefully none of them decide to lay on the floor now that it is so cozy haha They have tonnes of shelf space to choose from. Also hopefully the adults learn to use the roosts soon so the shelves stay cleaner. Anyways Here are a few pics from yesterday.

Some better pics of the chicken house post clean/reno.

Chester

Hera.

Very few of the little ones have names but this one is called Olive.

Robin.

Marcus Aurelius.

Marcus

Marcus.

Olive.

Olive.

Olive.

Awesome! Your chickens are really nice!! And i love thsi story!!

So I finally did the deed and processed Zeno by myself yesterday. His death was quick but it could have been cleaner. I need a smaller/sharper knife next time. Not sure yet how I feel about doing it again but I have time to figure it out before any of the cockerels need culling I suppose.
Here's the after shot. Tore the skin a bit but hey, it was my first try.

Also here's the huge egg I got on Thursday.

Thanks :) I love the range of colours that the mixes have. Really lucked out with my first batch I think.
I love them too!!

So I finally did the deed and processed Zeno by myself yesterday. His death was quick but it could have been cleaner. I need a smaller/sharper knife next time. Not sure yet how I feel about doing it again but I have time to figure it out before any of the cockerels need culling I suppose.
Here's the after shot. Tore the skin a bit but hey, it was my first try.

Also here's the huge egg I got on Thursday.
LOL! Poo Zack... That is one huge egg, but you should see my one RIR's egg it is like double that!!

Some pics from this evening around chicken bedtime. The adult ladies are still not impressed with the young ones but I expect it will stay that way until they are fully grown. So far there are no injuries and only one little pullet has some feathers on her neck missing, and that might have been from the other young ones as they are constantly having little scuffles over pecking order. Also, as you can see in a few of the pics, some of the young ones are sleeping in the nests
hmm.png
. There is only one nest on each of the three shelves...which are ten feet long and covered in plenty of warm dry grass.
he.gif

I love your chickens!! I am sooo jeualous
rant.gif
If you lived closer you would be welcome to some of my extra cockerels and future chicks
smile.png
Unfortunately there are too many borders between us not to mention miles and miles of ocean haha Your chickens are beautiful as well, I am especially jealous of Moonshine, She is soo beautiful and a good mother too!

Back
Top Bottom