Light Brahmas, 4 months Pullet or Cockerel? +Updated Pictures on Page 4+

I would also expect Dixie to be a rooster, but I'm not an expert by any means.
hu.gif

Neither am I.
wink.png

I have been very interested in this post for quite awhile. At the beginning of the George/Georgina debate I posted some pictures of my chicken Dixie. Now she/he is 18 weeks. Dixie has come characteristics of rooster looking over the flock patrolling, but like it was mentioned in this thread if this is a pullet she is the head hen. I have heard NOTHING even kind of resembling a crow but she had thick legs and stand up a little straighter. I would love to hear your opinion again. Thanks!! 

Can you get a closer picture of the saddle feathers. I am not sure if it is the pattern or if they are actually pointed. I would guess boy, but at 18 weeks, I would expect more saddle/hackle and sickle feathering.

I will get another picture later.. it is actually the pattern in my opinion making them look pointed. The black part of the hackle and saddle feathers are long a pointy in pattern but surrounded by white that is rounded in shape.. (in my opinion) I don't know what to make of this bird lol! I really like her she is pretty funny and had quite the personality, plus i nursed her back to health in week one. I hope against all odds she is a she or never really crows lol ( can that even happen?)

Annilee07, go part your chickens back feathers near it's tail and see if their are any pointy irridesent feathers starting to grown there. These would be saddle feathers. They will look like this. Your chicken should be growing these at this age.

I got The Call this morning every new chicken mom dreads... Dixie is a Dixon. My suspicions were confrimed when My husband found out this morning ( I leave for work at 5 am) when the dogs howls and barks woke him. After he settled the dog down he realized the cause of the howling was Dixie.. who proclaimed to the world this moring he is really to be called Dixon. WIll said he went out to check it out and Dixon was prancing around the outdoor enclosure crowing and very proud of himesled. If he had to crow I'm sad I missed the first time. I would have loved to see him figure it out and be so proud. I'm upset but I think I have known for a few weeks. He is a very handsome funny healthy bird who takes good care of the girls, and is sweet to me. I nursed this one along for 1-2 weeks at birth. My husband, who is in charge of "neighbor relations" has been telling me since before we got chickens then there will be NO roosters (even though the city allows if your neighbors don't complain). He is still giving me a hard NO. I need to rehome this big beautiful guy, he is between 18-19 weeks old a hatchey Light Brahma. I will only allow him to go to a safe home where he has safe shelter and won't be culled. We live in Western WA, and I'm happy to take him to someone who wants him and meets the above criteria. Please share with friends! Thanks for all of your advice and help!

I got The Call this morning every new chicken mom dreads... Dixie is a Dixon. My suspicions were confrimed when My husband found out this morning ( I leave for work at 5 am) when the dogs howls and barks woke him. After he settled the dog down he realized the cause of the howling was Dixie.. who proclaimed to the world this moring he is really to be called Dixon. WIll said he went out to check it out and Dixon was prancing around the outdoor enclosure crowing and very proud of himesled. If he had to crow I'm sad I missed the first time. I would have loved to see him figure it out and be so proud. I'm upset but I think I have known for a few weeks. He is a very handsome funny healthy bird who takes good care of the girls, and is sweet to me. I nursed this one along for  1-2 weeks at birth. My husband, who is in charge of "neighbor relations" has been telling me since before we got chickens then there will be NO roosters (even though the city allows if your neighbors don't complain). He is still giving me a hard NO. I need to rehome this big beautiful guy, he is between 18-19 weeks old a hatchey Light Brahma. I will only allow him to go to a safe home where he has safe shelter and won't be culled. We live in Western WA, and I'm happy to take him to someone who wants him and meets the above criteria. Please share with friends! Thanks for all of your advice and help!
Culled doesn't always mean kill, just thought I'd throw that out there.

I would advertise on Craig's list. Check out the home first. Make sure they know he is not to be dinner.

I got The Call this morning every new chicken mom dreads... Dixie is a Dixon. My suspicions were confrimed when My husband found out this morning ( I leave for work at 5 am) when the dogs howls and barks woke him. After he settled the dog down he realized the cause of the howling was Dixie.. who proclaimed to the world this moring he is really to be called Dixon. WIll said he went out to check it out and Dixon was prancing around the outdoor enclosure crowing and very proud of himesled. If he had to crow I'm sad I missed the first time. I would have loved to see him figure it out and be so proud. I'm upset but I think I have known for a few weeks. He is a very handsome funny healthy bird who takes good care of the girls, and is sweet to me. I nursed this one along for 1-2 weeks at birth. My husband, who is in charge of "neighbor relations" has been telling me since before we got chickens then there will be NO roosters (even though the city allows if your neighbors don't complain). He is still giving me a hard NO. I need to rehome this big beautiful guy, he is between 18-19 weeks old a hatchey Light Brahma. I will only allow him to go to a safe home where he has safe shelter and won't be culled. We live in Western WA, and I'm happy to take him to someone who wants him and meets the above criteria. Please share with friends! Thanks for all of your advice and help!

Oh no!

This is sad to hear, but I really do hope you find a good home for him. I've heard that putting a small price on a rooster will help him to find a home where he will be a hen protector instead of a roasted dinner. Also, I've heard it's a good idea to plan a visit to potential homes. I feel for you, this can't be easy and I would hate to have to go through it myself. Good luck in finding "Dixon" a good home with a flock of ladies for him!
fl.gif

I guess time will tell for me, when it comes to Georgina. I'm still hopeful, since "she" is 20 weeks now, and still no crow. I have to admit, though I kind of want to hear what a "first crow attempt" sounds like.
celebrate.gif

Again, I wish you luck with finding a home for your "Dixon." May he find a good home where he'll be well loved by his people and his ladies!
love.gif

Good news about "Georgina," everyone!

Today, when I bent to pick her up to put her back in the coop, I believe she squatted. Quite briefly, but it sure seemed like a squat to me.

As you can imagine, I wasn't excited about this at all.
roll.png

celebrate.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif
ya.gif
thumbsup.gif
woot.gif
D.gif
yesss.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom