Limping chick

Clmirabilio92

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2019
I have this one little chick out of my bunch of 9. It's limping now out of nowhere. At first I thought maybe one of the other chicks or my bigger ducklings might have hurt it. My ducklings got out of their container and might have went into the chicks container, I'm not sure. But it's feet look like this. The left one looks swollen, but it won't put weight on its right leg?? Could it be bumblefoot? I have corid. How much would I give to it? And for how long?? Just noticed it last night. Hopefully I caught it early.

Attachments

• 20240312_154645.jpg
    20240312_154645.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240311_200423.jpg
    20240311_200423.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 9
It looks like it’s standing okay and those marks on the bottom of the feet could just be dirt. Crush a bit of human b complex over some scrambled egg for it to eat. The B vitamins help with leg issues. So long as it can stand and its hock joints are stable and all the toes are pointing the right way I wouldn’t be too concerned. Could just have been stepped on or slipped.

It looks like it’s standing okay and those marks on the bottom of the feet could just be dirt. Crush a bit of human b complex over some scrambled egg for it to eat. The B vitamins help with leg issues. So long as it can stand and its hock joints are stable and all the toes are pointing the right way I wouldn’t be too concerned. Could just have been stepped on or slipped.
I might have to take a better picture of it. It looks puffy and red. The leg and the whole foot. Definitely not sure why one leg looks like that but then it's not wanting to put pressure on the opposite foot? Could it be an infection? I will definitely get a better picture of it later when I go to lock them up for the night!

I might have to take a better picture of it. It looks puffy and red. The leg and the whole foot. Definitely not sure why one leg looks like that but then it's not wanting to put pressure on the opposite foot? Could it be an infection? I will definitely get a better picture of it later when I go to lock them up for the night!

Use a baby wipe or give the chick a little warm foot bath to clean up the skin so you can check more clearly for any wounds on the bottom of the feet that may have caused infection.

I can see what you mean about it being puffy and red. I’m not sure why it would then favour its other leg. I just think if it can stand and the legs/feet/toes are oriented the right way, you’re not dealing with something like a slipped tendon, curly toe paralysis or anything like that. Chicks can hurt themselves and recover quickly.

Use a baby wipe or give the chick a little warm foot bath to clean up the skin so you can check more clearly for any wounds on the bottom of the feet that may have caused infection.

I can see what you mean about it being puffy and red. I’m not sure why it would then favour its other leg. I just think if it can stand and the legs/feet/toes are oriented the right way, you’re not dealing with something like a slipped tendon, curly toe paralysis or anything like that. Chicks can hurt themselves and recover quickly.

Attachments

• 20240312_192245.jpg
    20240312_192245.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240312_192252.jpg
    20240312_192252.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240312_192254.jpg
    20240312_192254.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240312_192304.jpg
    20240312_192304.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240312_192427.jpg
    20240312_192427.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 6
Hmm it’s hard to see but maybe there are some scabs on the toes? You can spray with vetericyn or iodine and keep the chick separate with a sibling somewhere where you can limit mobility and keep the substrate clean.

Hmm it’s hard to see but maybe there are some scabs on the toes? You can spray with vetericyn or iodine and keep the chick separate with a sibling somewhere where you can limit mobility and keep the substrate clean.
I cleaned both of the feet and legs with iodine and wiped them with a cloth of warm water and soap. Just to keep things clean. She is by herself all day long. She likes to be closer to her siblings at night, under the heater. She gets the heater all to herself when her siblings are outside soaking up the sun. 😊 I'm hoping she's okay! She keeps her other foot curled up. Idk why. 🙁

I cleaned both of the feet and legs with iodine and wiped them with a cloth of warm water and soap. Just to keep things clean. She is by herself all day long. She likes to be closer to her siblings at night, under the heater. She gets the heater all to herself when her siblings are outside soaking up the sun. 😊 I'm hoping she's okay! She keeps her other foot curled up. Idk why. 🙁

Sometimes riboflavin deficiency causes curly toes. Smash up 1/4 of a human b complex tablet and sprinkle it on some scrambled eggs and give it to her daily. You could also dissolve it in water and administer via dropper if that’s easier for you.

I’d keep one of her siblings inside with her for company. They are usually happier when they are together.

Sometimes riboflavin deficiency causes curly toes. Smash up 1/4 of a human b complex tablet and sprinkle it on some scrambled eggs and give it to her daily. You could also dissolve it in water and administer via dropper if that’s easier for you.

I’d keep one of her siblings inside with her for company. They are usually happier when they are together.
Okay, I will try that! I will be buying the b complex tablets tomorrow and break it up into 4 pieces and see if that helps! Just once, or once a day?

Back
Top Bottom