Limping goose

I have a 6 month old white Chinese gander who is limping, but his middle toe on his left foot is swollen. Any ideas? There does not appear to be a wound. Is it possible it is broken or sprained, he squabbles with another gander over the pool rights frequently.
Welcome to BYC

He may have caught it in something and sprained it or broke it, I'd look under his foot though to make sure he doesn't have Bumble foot which is an infection and will need to be treated pretty aggressively or can cause serious problems Look for a blk scab under his toe or foot close to the toe. Feel the area just to make sure nothing is in there like a thorn splinter etc. I have used Epsom salt and warm water to soak my gooses feet if swelling appeared and no rhyme or reason for it 1 cup of Epsom salt to 1 gal of very warm water not hot just nice an warm. I put both feet into the bucket it is easier to soak if both feet are in and your holding on to him. Try for at least 5 min and do it as often as you can daily till healed. Might want to keep him separated in a pen where he can still see everyone but gives his toe a chance to heal with out fighting, maybe with a friend for company?

Welcome to BYC

He may have caught it in something and sprained it or broke it, I'd look under his foot though to make sure he doesn't have Bumble foot which is an infection and will need to be treated pretty aggressively or can cause serious problems Look for a blk scab under his toe or foot close to the toe. Feel the area just to make sure nothing is in there like a thorn splinter etc.  I have used Epsom salt and warm water to soak my gooses feet if swelling appeared and no rhyme or reason for it 1 cup of Epsom salt to 1 gal of very warm water not hot just nice an warm. I put both feet into the bucket it is easier to soak if both feet are in and your holding on to him. Try for at least 5 min and do it as often as you can daily till healed. Might want to keep him separated in a pen where he can still see everyone but gives his toe a chance to heal with out fighting, maybe with a friend for company?

I keep checking for the black spot. There still isn't one, however the limping is worse. He has been placed in a small pen with a young African goose for company.

I keep checking for the black spot. There still isn't one, however the limping is worse. He has been placed in a small pen with a young African goose for company.
If there is alot of swelling I'd diff soak in water water and Epsom salt. or do you think there is infection might be if you feel heat or abnormally warmer than other foot. Then you might want to thin about an antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom