List of food NOT to feed chickens

Can you freeze bugs for the winter months? I have tons of those bloody junebugs all over. They hit the windows and die.

Can you freeze bugs for the winter months? I have tons of those bloody junebugs all over. They hit the windows and die.

Try it?? Never know until you try.

Mine love Japanese Beetles and I usually have a lot of those- I usually just shake them into a bucket, dump in the run and let the chickens take care of them. Maybe this year I'll save a few to stick in the deep freeze to see how they do.
smile.png

As I said moderation goes a long way, any list should not be taken as black and white, do your research on why it's on a list and at what levels it could or could not be dangerous... For all intents everything becomes toxic at some point, even the most basic like oxygen and water are toxic at some point...
I feed the above quite regularly but in moderation, some much more than others...

I also have to really question "NO food that has been sprayed with pesticides, herbicides or other chemicals" as that would rule out most every food sold, even most organics, seems more like a political statement...

I noticed giving my chickens lettuce will cause diarrhea

giving dogs chocolate will also cause diarrhea ( more severe--with blood in the stools)

There are people who are lactose intolerance so milk will give them diarrhea. They will not die from it but i'm sure they would avoid dairy products most of the time after they found that out.

Yes. Chickens and dogs will not die from eating those things a few times but i learned from those experiences and will not give them those foods again. Any food that will cause problems for them.

It's just personal preference since (for example) i wouldn't knowingly eat foods that give me diarrhea so why feed them to my pets or chickens?

Last edited:
Just so many flying bugs around here lol, thought maybe catch a bunch of them and freeze them. Anything to keep the food bill down. I saw a really neat vid on how to catch bugs but don't think I have the heart to freeze them while they are alive.

I saw my chickens chased each other around in the yard, I didn't know what they were doing until i looked closer. One of the hens has a bug in her beak! so the others were probably
droolin.gif

Chickens are natural deterrent against bugs/insects for your backyard

Roaches and scorpions are common here (in this desert heat).

Anything to keep the food bill down.

Start talking to the store or produce managers at local grocery stores, independent or family owned are best and easier to work with... They all toss out a boat load of 'day old' food every day, it's jut a matter of convincing them to allow you to have some for your chickens before it goes in the dumpster...

Start talking to the store or produce managers at local grocery stores, independent or family owned are best and easier to work with... They all toss out a boat load of 'day old' food every day, it's jut a matter of convincing them to allow you to have some for your chickens before it goes in the dumpster...
That's exactly what I was thinking today.

That's exactly what I was thinking today.

It pays, a small sampling, I get stuff like this nearly daily for the chickens...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom