List of food NOT to feed chickens

My take only... chickens eat what they know is good for them... i mean how did chickens survive and multiply before humans controlled their diet? Seems to me chickens are a lot smarter than we give them credit for being.

LOL
Too true for some of us
Note my signature
I need to add though that dumb chickens died while the smart ones lived long enough to pass on their knowledge to their :jumpyyoung. Just like pretty much any naturally living creature.
I've kept hundreds and hundreds of birds of many different species over the years and they are all very intelligent in their own way. I think we humans are the ones that lack intelligence. Our egotistical minds blind us to the natural intelligence of higher life forms....... such as chickens:cd ......:eek:and trees .....:lauand worms.

Moldy bread is pretty much penicillin. Won't hurt them if not in large amounts.

Wait really? Penicillin is mold? Or?

Also i try to avoid mold cause i thought i read a few threads where chickens have gotten really sick and/or died? Or gotten like leg paralysis and suffered the toxicity or whatever and ir was really easy and they die if the eat mold? Even the smallest amounts. So I've always just avoided it.

But now you guys are saying it's not bad?

Moldy bread is pretty much penicillin. Won't hurt them if not in large amounts.

Wait really? Penicillin is mold? Or?

Also i try to avoid mold cause i thought i read a few threads where chickens have gotten really sick and/or died? Or gotten like leg paralysis and suffered the toxicity or whatever and ir was really easy and they die if the eat mold? Even the smallest amounts. So I've always just avoided it.

But now you guys are saying it's not bad?

Yes, penicillin is a kind of bread mold, but not all bread mold is penicillin...

As for mold being bad or good, there are some very toxic molds and there are some that are not toxic at all and then there are people and animals that might be allergic to this or that mold...

In the end unless you know the specific mold, it's best to avoid them yourself as some are very toxic...

In the end chickens are not humans, and they especially are not 'sterilized' to bacteria and molds like many of the people living in industrial nations... What a chicken can tollerate and what humans can tollerate with no ill effects are two different things... For example when it rains chickens think nothing of slurping up the water from mud puddles in their poop littered run, it causes them no harm as their body is used to that 'baddies' found in the ground, the same can't be said for most humans that would likely get Montezumas Revenge if they even sampled the water from that mud puddle...

Yes, penicillin is a kind of bread mold, but not all bread mold is penicillin...

As for mold being bad or good, there are some very toxic molds and there are some that are not toxic at all and then there are people and animals that might be allergic to this or that mold...

In the end unless you know the specific mold, it's best to avoid them yourself as some are very toxic...

In the end chickens are not humans, and they especially are not 'sterilized' to bacteria and molds like many of the people living in industrial nations... What a chicken can tollerate and what humans can tollerate with no ill effects are two different things... For example when it rains chickens think nothing of slurping up the water from mud puddles in their poop littered run, it causes them no harm as their body is used to that 'baddies' found in the ground, the same can't be said for most humans that would likely get Montezumas Revenge if they even sampled the water from that mud puddle...

But that also varies from person to person. I grew up with water that no one in the middle class of the western worlds would even think of drinking. It was often the color and consisitancy of orange juice.

But that also varies from person to person. I grew up with water that no one in the middle class of the western worlds would even think of drinking. It was often the color and consisitancy of orange juice.

Not so much 'person to person' but personal exposure and what your body has become accustomed to...

There are many places in the world where eating the local cuisine or drinking the water will get outsiders sick but he locals are perfectly fine eating it every day... And if you moved there and ate it every day your body would adjust just like theirs did...

Modern refrigeration and freezers have only been around in common use for give or take 100 years even in countries like the US, and many countries still don't have it... People have eaten less than fresh foods that contained mold, bacteria and were rancid for 1000s of years and many still do...

This reminds me of the other night when I was watching a movie and saw a 'popcorn cannon' intrigued I hit up some Youtube videos to get some more insight... I could only giggle at the less than 'sanitary' practices used by the roadside vendors when using those cannons compared to the US where everything is sterilized stainless steel and what not...

Last edited:
If I peel and core fruits or vegetables, my ladies get the offal.
I cannot see myself giving them salty/sugary/etc. treats. But that's me.

Deborah
They get plenty of salt from ,mill feed .
thumbsup.gif

Urbanchick1950 keep a close eye on the bare bottomed chicken. It sounds to me like the other chickens are pulling feathers. If this is the case they sell anti-picking remedies. Some bluecoat may be advisable too. It is also the time of year chickens tend to moult. Kind of like a dog shedding it's winter coat.

Yeah my chickens LOVE bread...especially the 2 I raised from chicks. That was the one thing that would always cause the silly keep away game they would all play(I had 6 four ended up being roosters which we can't have with our close neighbors)

Back
Top Bottom