List of Silkie Breeders

Yes, the ASBC is a great resource. Here in the PNW I know of some good breeders.
Sheryl Butler
Calesta Rieth (hobo silkies)
Marjorie Best (although I don't know if she has any stock for sale right now,. I think she had some bad hatches)
Karen (Kelar on here)

And then there's me,... I've been hatching some NICE chicks but will probably only be selling PQ and BQ to the public this year, and the rest will be going to other PNW breeders.

Also,.. I can personally vouch for AmyJo Piehl... love her stock. She's just about the easiest seller to deal with as well. I've won with her birds (reserve of breed with black pullet, reserve of variety with very young white cockerel).

The ASBC is worth every penny, the information on silkie health and care is fantastic and from some of the top breeders.

I cannot wait until I turn 18 next year. I was asked to be the State Representative for PA but wasn't old enough. I filled out my membership form for the ASBC today and am so excited!

yes but which of you ship? i am having the hardest time finding silkies in nor cal and norhtern nevada, but i dont want to go through a hatchery because i dont have the room for all those birds
hmm.png

Congrats Hannah! Your name actually came up on the ASBC forum yesterday. The points secretary was all confused because of the show reports coming in with your name on. She wanted to give you credit for the points you had earned but your name and info weren't in the system anywhere. I sent her a private e-mail with how to contact you. I normally don't give out that info but Ryanne is pretty trustworthy.

Thank you again Jen! I have 3 very promising clear black cockerels that are now about 8 months old and a few in the 2-4 month olds that I really have my eye on. My whites are finally laying hardcore so can't stop the incubator now. Are those babies feathering out yet from me? I hope you get some show prospects for this fall out of those.

I think the main thing if you are looking for a reputable breeder is to ask questions and inform yourself first. There are certain people that win consistently in the show ring but I would never buy a bird from. The opposite holds true too sometimes...there are some of the old timers that never or very rarely show that have some of the best stock in the country. There are the people that buy their way into the show ring but don't have a clue what it takes to reproduce that quality. You get alot of the rookies that jump on the bandwagon and think they know it all. Once you weed through all the BS, you find a few that are truly honest and knowledgable about their birds. They go for quality and consistency.

There are some big red flags to watch out for. SQ eggs? Wow do you judge them on the creamy color, the oval shape, etc? Even chicks are no guarantee. You can weed out the ones with DQ's, but you really don't know on true quality til they are usually 4+ months old. Getting birds from reputable sources ups your odds of getting good stock, but its no guarantee of your next best of breed winner. Check out the pics of their breeding stock... My number one pet peeve is people advertising SQ stock and then the birds they picture lack feathering to mid-toe, light skin, long backs, pinched tails, etc.

Quote:
That is perfectly fine Amy about giving out my contact info. I've been showing over a year now but was confused how to become a member until Cara (Smoky73) helped me out.
smile.png
I'm a member of the APA but havent earned any points that I know of on there. I can't believe how big the babies I got from you are feathering out already! They are the most gorgeous chicks I have seen. I have a favorite little buff that just likes to cuddle and the porcelains are so neat looking. Thanks once again!

edited for spelling haha.

Last edited:
I'm not breeding yet but would like to some day, so right now I have two from a Bobbi Porto line a splash and Blue roo so that is where I'm going right now I have some sub standerd hens too so I thought I would learn about breeding with two good roo to improve my breeding and cull heavy to get the standared before I go buy all good breeders and learn nothing.....?? If I'm wrong oh well and I read effry thing that is posted on silkies here as well as talk to breeders maybee someday I will have birds to sell:D

Back
Top Bottom