Little Giant 10300

19 eggs ended up in lockdown but two of those we weren't certain about. Overall, air cells looked great on day 18. We are in the second half of day 20 now and have heard peeping and have seen a bit of rocking but no external pips yet.
So far, the temperature on the LG10300 has been rock solid, maintaining the temp to within less than half a degree either side of 99.5. This has been confirmed by a second thermometer in the incubator. The 6300 turner performed flawlessly.
My only complaint is the humidity sensor. I put in two back up humidity gauges intended for use in terrariums. They have agreed with each other but the LG reading had been consistently high during dry incubation and is low during lockdown. The instructions that came with the LG 10300 state that "The incubator is equipped with a relative humidity sensor intended to provide the user with a humidity reading; this reading is most accurate with 60% to 80% humidity and is not accurate when the incubator is allowed to dry out". Because of this I expected the humidity reading to be off for days 1-18 but I thought that it would pick up the higher humidity during lockdown. It is currently reading 55% while the other two are reading 68%. Not sure if running it dry wrecked the sensor but I wouldn't trust it exclusively if you are doing a dry incubation.
Will let you know what the next 36 hours bring! My fingers are crossed!

@Denwendairy sounds good....i am on day 17. Of the 39 eggs; 3 were infertile. I will candle again tomorrow. I will not add any water at any time during this hatch. Totally dry hatch from start to finish

We'll, we have not had the results we hoped for. We had great movement going into lockdown, air cells looked good, humidity remained high, temperature seemed stable. Despite all of these positive indicators, we have hatched a grand total of 2 Easter Eggers and 1 Black split lav Orp and will be entering day 23 in a few hours. We are happy to have the three, they are super cute but am looking forward to hearing the results of others using the LG 10300. Must admit, we are now considering investing some dollars into a higher end unit.
Bamadude- let me know how your entirely dry hatch goes and thanks for your input and help over the past few weeks. I will be keeping my eye on this thread to see how others do with this new model.

We'll, we have not had the results we hoped for. We had great movement going into lockdown, air cells looked good, humidity remained high, temperature seemed stable. Despite all of these positive indicators, we have hatched a grand total of 2 Easter Eggers and 1 Black split lav Orp and will be entering day 23 in a few hours. We are happy to have the three, they are super cute but am looking forward to hearing the results of others using the LG 10300. Must admit, we are now considering investing some dollars into a higher end unit.
Bamadude- let me know how your entirely dry hatch goes and thanks for your input and help over the past few weeks. I will be keeping my eye on this thread to see how others do with this new model.
no problem. Im on day 18 now....Ive read where if water is dripping off the windows...humidity is too high. Do u plan to eggtopsies?

no problem. Im on day 18 now....Ive read where if water is dripping off the windows...humidity is too high. Do u plan to eggtopsies?

Am planning eggtopsies, yes. But that will have to wait because I quickly candled two and there is movement inside! Honest to goodness, I had given up hope! Needless to say, we are keeping the humidity up and are still hopeful for a few more!
There isn't water dripping off the windows but there is a nice fog towards the edges. Humidity is hovering between 65-70 but spikes a bit when something hatches.
Honestly, I am really surprised. Still might not get any to hatch but you never know!

Am planning eggtopsies, yes. But that will have to wait because I quickly candled two and there is movement inside! Honest to goodness, I had given up hope! Needless to say, we are keeping the humidity up and are still hopeful for a few more!
There isn't water dripping off the windows but there is a nice fog towards the edges. Humidity is hovering between 65-70 but spikes a bit when something hatches.
Honestly, I am really surprised. Still might not get any to hatch but you never know!
Good luck!! Hopefully you'll see more!!

I wouldn't have bought a Little Giant but...
Smoebody gave me smoe nice chicken eggs last summer while my Hovabator was full of quail eggs, so I needed a cheap bator real quick and Little Giant is what TSC sells. After several days of hand turning eggs my cheap arse went bach to TSC and bought the turning racks.
I didn't like the way the heater is all down at one end and the eggs didn't heat evenly but a computer fan fixed that.
I do love the electronic thermostat of the LG. It maintains a much steadier temp then the wafer thermostat in my HB, which flips out and needs adjustment everytime the weather changes.
The hatch rates are the same but the Little Giant is less work because it's load it and forget about it, while I have to babysit my Hovabator. I guess they call it a HoverBator because you seem to have to hover over it.
I can't imagine incubating without forced air, electronic thermostats, and turning racks

I thought I would give it a shot- hoped the new design would be great! For us- not so much. We are into day 24 and had one pip today. This is crazy! It's been a wild ride with this 10300. I am hoping to get some good news from Bamadude! Somebody has to figure this 10300 out but it's not going to be me!. Truth be told, I ordered a Brinsea Octagon 40 Adv this afternoon. Expensive but peace of mind is worth it for us!

End result- 4/19 hatched that made it to lockdown. We cleaned out the LG 10300 this morning and called it a day. Most eggtopsies showed close to fully developed chicks although some were a few days less developed than that.
Hoping for better news from you, Bamadude!

Back
Top Bottom