Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
The float test is only good if the egg moves on its own, will tell you that its alive. Sinking or floating without moving doesn't really tell you much at this point. Floating means it has air enough to float, but can't say if the chick is alive or dead. Sinking says it doesn't have enough air, but still nothing about the chick inside.

My best guess, if the eggs are totally dark, on day 23, they probably grew too big, pipped internally into the air cell, but couldn't emerge.

You could drill a tiny hole in the fat end, and see if you have any movement inside. If its been past 48 hours since the first one hatched, these are likely goners. Likely but not definitely! So if you go into the shell, proceed slowly!

they were dead.....three had broken thru the air sac...but had no room to move....and the other had its head under its wing so sad...I only hatched one...it is a game chicken...I went to TractorS and bought 6 little chicks to keep it company and the little rascal tries to peck their eyes...I put up wire mesh between them to get them to know each other...the 6 new ones are doing fine...but my little hatchie is the smallest and the meanest. I hope it will stop

The float test is only good if the egg moves on its own, will tell you that its alive. Sinking or floating without moving doesn't really tell you much at this point. Floating means it has air enough to float, but can't say if the chick is alive or dead. Sinking says it doesn't have enough air, but still nothing about the chick inside.

My best guess, if the eggs are totally dark, on day 23, they probably grew too big, pipped internally into the air cell, but couldn't emerge.

You could drill a tiny hole in the fat end, and see if you have any movement inside. If its been past 48 hours since the first one hatched, these are likely goners. Likely but not definitely! So if you go into the shell, proceed slowly!
Please help me with my duck eggs

I'm not sure how to do this......Someone asked where I was I think...I'm in Texas......
celebrate.gif

Please help me with my duck eggs

What do you need help with?

[COLOR=800080]I'm  not sure how to do this......Someone ask[/COLOR][COLOR=800080]ed where I was I think...I'm in Texas......[/COLOR]:celebrate

You can use the Quote button to answer someone specifically, or if mobile, its a little call-out button with " marks inside it. Start typing after the last "quote".
I asked where you are because local conditions affect humidity needed in the incubator. If you are in a really humid area, you may not need it as high as others.

Last edited:
I am in north Alabama....my incubator is in the first day with my duck...so I will not open til tomorrow...but only about 1/4 or less cup of water in the incubator....I have a reading on a digital themometer that reads 62 percent...and the incubator reads 40...that is the best I could get. I have 5 themometers in this thing one reads 99 one reads 99.5 and 3 reads 100 and I don't know if any are correct. This is very hard to do but I love it.

I had to set my incubator on 105.2 to get these readings of 99- 100. I have only had it to 102.5 before to get this temp... it is a still air lg 9300 and I have only used it twice. Will this kill my ducks if it starts out at 63 percent humidity? I have almost no water....and I put a little because the incubator was under 25 without it...but I am afraid to get it over this 39 to 40 percent....because the other themometer says 63

Last edited:
Humidity is based on surface area of the water, not the amount. Think of it this way, 8 ounces of water in a tall thin champagne glass will produce alot LESS humidity than 8 ounces of water in a bowl, spread out.

You dont have to use the channels in the incubator, you can use bowls, cups, and even sponges to adjust to get it just right. Put them in areas where you can get to the with a straw thru a vent hole, then you never have to open it to re-wet them.

You will need to consider lockdown separately, because you don't want open bowls that the babies can get into and drown, but through incubation, find a combination that gets it where you want it.

Back
Top Bottom