Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
Chicks are piping and zipping left and right this morning! I've went from 5 chicks last night to 13 this morning. Just a helpful tip: don't keep two incubators in your room on hatch day if you intend to get any sleep. I'm probably going to have another rescue mission later tonight, one of the chicks piped in the middle of the egg and has tried to re-position by pipping slightly above the first one; both pips have traces of blood on the membrane. What's strange is that none of the Rhode Island Reds have hatched yet, I've heard of different breeds having different incubation times? As you can see, I still have plenty more eggs to hatch and quite a few already piped. :th
Yea!!!!!! How cute they are. I can't wait for mine.

I just had a chick hatch without absorbing all of the yolk, what should I do?
barnie.gif

I just had a chick hatch without absorbing all of the yolk, what should I do?
barnie.gif
From what I've read..... you get a little cup or bowl and put them in it and leave them in the bator to finsih absorbing it. He was just so excited to see you he didn't wait!!! There is a small section on unabsorbed yolk near the end of the assisted hatching thread.

Just leave it in the 'bator and hope it absorbs. Was it in your 9300 or 9200? I ask because the 9300 has plastic mesh on the bottom and the 9200 has metal. If it was in the 9200, I'd be concerned about it dragging around on the metal and injuring itself. I think I'd place it on a slightly damp paper towel so it has something soft to rest on either way. Obviously you'll have to open the 'bator though, so that's a decision you'll have to make :/

Last edited:
Alright, I followed your advise @howfunkyisurchicken and moved the little guy to the 9300. It's a very small amount, and I don't know why the he is excreting green feces. His abdomen is full, and I'm assuming there was just too much to absorb. I've never had a chick hatch without absorbing the yolk, will the yolk absorb the rest of the way or just dry up?

Wow! It happens fast inside the egg, so hopefully it will pull it in quickly. Good luck!

And great job of not panicking! I probably would have~

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom