Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
I find a few green poos on the bottom of my incubator after chicks hatch, so I wouldn't really worry about that. It should absorb, I would try to keep it moist so it doesn't dry up. It doesn't look too bad. Hopefully it'll be fine.

I'm having so many issues with this hatch it's ridiculous, I'm on my second pip from the pointy end, the unabsorbed yolk, and I just made a splay leg bandage... On top of that, I go to work in 3 hours and they'll be on their own. I just moved 15 chicks to the brooder; I left yolk and a new hatcher in the 9300. Nine are piped/zipping right now in the 9200 and all I can do is pray they have no complications while I'm gone.
:barnie

I caught video of one of the Silver Laced Wyandottes hatching...
big_smile.png

vimeo_logo.png

Help! My incubator was unplug even though I have a guard on it by my two year old. Unsure how long it was off but the eggs are cool to the touch. Is this bad news?

Not exactly, but it depends on how old the eggs are. As they age, around day 11, they begin producing their own heat. I read a story from Metzer Farms where duck eggs were left at room temperature for a whole day, then returned to the incubator, and nearly all hatched. Cooler temperatures are better than hotter ones, just get that incubator stable then candle for movement the next day or two.

I need help!! I just used my bator last week and I unplugged it and I wanna use it again and the last week my bator HASnt heated up past 90 degrees I have blankets around it and It isn't going up enough help!!

I am excited I candled the goose eggs I found good veining in 5 out of 6. The 6th is iffy. The Lavender's look good 8 for 8.
I am worried though because of the cracked egg from the Sussex I just got. The incubator smells now. Is there anything I can do about that?

Also I am worried about the humidity/heat in the incubator with the goose eggs. The mercury thermometer has been just below 99.5 for the past two days. But, the other thermometer was reading 96.4 and the humidity said 99%.

Last edited:
Finding an accurate thermometer is the hardest part of incubating, and dilluted bleach removes any smell after incubation. I'll probably be cleaning mine tomorrow, most of the hatch is over... I think. All but 3 eggs hatched in the 9200, and I probably still got 15 eggs or so in the 9300 with no pips. Sadly, The chick fully absorbed his yolk but was dead when I got home; along with a malpositioned pip. The malpositioned pip I was able to help made it!
big_smile.png
I'll post brooder pics tomorrow, and let you'all know if any hatch tonight... I don't expect any to though.

Finding an accurate thermometer is the hardest part of incubating, and dilluted bleach removes any smell after incubation. I'll probably be cleaning mine tomorrow, most of the hatch is over... I think. All but 3 eggs hatched in the 9200, and I probably still got 15 eggs or so in the 9300 with no pips. Sadly, The chick fully absorbed his yolk but was dead when I got home; along with a malpositioned pip. The malpositioned pip I was able to help made it! :D  I'll post brooder pics tomorrow, and let you'all know if any hatch tonight... I don't expect any to though. 

Well at least you tried to save the little one. I think that's going to be the most difficult part for me. If they die during hatch or having to cull because of a problem.

Well at least you tried to save the little one. I think that's going to be the most difficult part for me. If they die during hatch or having to cull because of a problem.
I would much rather have them die during hatch than have to cull. (I'd rather not loose any, but....) I don't think I am capable of intentionally killing a chick. Thankfully I have not had a dire case yet, and hope I won't, but if and when it comes, I'll have to get outside help. I was the kid that tried to save every hurt/suffering animaI I came across and then cried for hours when they didn't make it. I toughened up in my old age, but not to the point I can do that.

Back
Top Bottom