Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
I had this idea this morning. Most know how SC and I like to torment each other (in fun of course) being from not only opposite sides in our methodology but of totally opposite equiptment quality. Him with his fancy Brinsea and me with my lowly lil ole giant styrofoam bator.
wink.png
Anyway I was thinking that we should at some point before the summer is over, (prefferably after I have my coops up here for the Easter chicks), we should do a set of eggs together. (I realize mine will be an even bigger disadvantage because my next set will be with my own eggs from my PULLETS. And not sure how that will be. Hopefully they will be big enough and of good quality.) I'm just talking a dozen or two. (However many I can get that are decent size in a weeks time...lol) We could start a thread LG vs Brinsea- conservative vs semi-liberal, lol and document how each hatch is going and how we differ with our methods and the outcomes. No it wouldn't be scientific or prove anything with too many BIG variables, but I think it'd be fun. What do you think?

sad.png
I don't have a Brinsea or an LG....

I want to butt in lol I'm using a 9300 I set 13 eggs and day 10 got rid of 3 infertiles.. Didn't add water day 1-18 humidity stayed around 30 kept my temp between 101-102 all air sacs growing and seeing movement turned the eggs manual 3-4 times a day.. Now is day 18 I added water and wet cloth and put a non slip cabinet liner under the eggs and got humidity to 65% am I doing good??? And advice will be appreciated this is my first incubation..

I had this idea this morning. Most know how SC and I like to torment each other (in fun of course) being from not only opposite sides in our methodology but of totally opposite equiptment quality. Him with his fancy Brinsea and me with my lowly lil ole giant styrofoam bator.
wink.png
Anyway I was thinking that we should at some point before the summer is over, (prefferably after I have my coops up here for the Easter chicks), we should do a set of eggs together. (I realize mine will be an even bigger disadvantage because my next set will be with my own eggs from my PULLETS. And not sure how that will be. Hopefully they will be big enough and of good quality.) I'm just talking a dozen or two. (However many I can get that are decent size in a weeks time...lol) We could start a thread LG vs Brinsea- conservative vs semi-liberal, lol and document how each hatch is going and how we differ with our methods and the outcomes. No it wouldn't be scientific or prove anything with too many BIG variables, but I think it'd be fun. What do you think?
I'm planning on doing a similar thing by myself with my LG and Hovabator, but with shipped eggs. I was thinking about your post, and you had mentioned the egg differences between your eggs and his. Although since you live in different places the handling of the eggs would still be a factor, you could order hatching eggs from the same source and set them together.( In my case the two test set would have traveled together with the same postal treatment.) Then you can apply your incubating techniques to those and see who has the best results. So then the only big issue may be do you both want the same breed of hatching eggs (which the same breed and hatching, from the same source would be a factor that could eliminate several variables), or if you want to get less expensive eggs would those be breeds you wanted or could sell off? I was also considering getting eggs from far away as well as closer to see how much of a difference that makes.

However, All of my own eggs I have set this year have been pullet eggs. I have had 96% and then 100% hatch rate with them. Unless you have a difficult to hatch breed, I don't think the pullet eggs would be an issue as far as being young birds. I almost did not set any because I had read post that said do not set pullet eggs. I am vary please with my hatch so far and I have some what appears to be very nice birds once they get all grown out. AND they all hatched in my LG!!
big_smile.png

I do think it would be a fun experiment and would like to see how it goes. PS I am not trying to take the fun out of it, I had just been thinking of something similar myself and when you mentioned variables, thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. However, my option would not be free.

Last edited:
wink.png
thumbsup.gif
Great idea.
From what I've read from you, our results would be similar. The interesting comparison would be in the daily notes. You would have to keep up with every adjustment and change on a daily basis. Here is a sample of what the average Brinsea user's notes would look like:
Day 1: Turn on, add water, and set eggs
Day 2: nothing
Day 3: nothing
Day 4: nothing
Day 5: nothing
Day 6: remembered to glance at gauges. all good
Day 7: Add water
Day 8: candle
Day 9: nothing
Day 10: nothing
Day 11: nothing
Day 12: add water
Day 13: Oh yeah, gauges. Nevermind, all good
Day 14: candle. The chicks are starting to tie their ascots
Day 15: nothing
Day 16: nothing
Day 17: nothing
Day 18: Lockdown
Day 19: nothing
Day 20: 1 early hatch, 3 pips. Leave him in there
Day 21: Don't know how many hatched, can't count. Leave them in there
Day 22: Take out chicks. A few have already been accepted to Harvard. 2 pipped eggs remaining
Day 23: Last 2 hatched overnight. Spent a grueling 5 minutes washing the incubator and set the next batch

Last edited:
I'm planning on doing a similar thing by myself with my LG and Hovabator, but with shipped eggs. I was thinking about your post, and you had mentioned the egg differences between your eggs and his. Although since you live in different places the handling of the eggs would still be a factor, you could order hatching eggs from the same source and set them together.( In my case the two test set would have traveled together with the same postal treatment.) Then you can apply your incubating techniques to those and see who has the best results. So then the only big issue may be do you both want the same breed of hatching eggs (which the same breed and hatching, from the same source would be a factor that could eliminate several variables), or if you want to get less expensive eggs would those be breeds you wanted or could sell off? I was also considering getting eggs from far away as well as closer to see how much of a difference that makes.

However, All of my own eggs I have set this year have been pullet eggs. I have had 96% and then 100% hatch rate with them. Unless you have a difficult to hatch breed, I don't think the pullet eggs would be an issue as far as being young birds. I almost did not set any because I had read post that said do not set pullet eggs. I am vary please with my hatch so far and I have some what appears to be very nice birds once they get all grown out. AND they all hatched in my LG!!
big_smile.png

I do think it would be a fun experiment and would like to see how it goes. PS I am not trying to take the fun out of it, I had just been thinking of something similar myself and when you mentioned variables, thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. However, my option would not be free.
That's a good point, and hopefully someone with a Brinsea could do shipped eggs. I'm getting 18 fertile eggs a day, so I won't be ordering anytime soon

I had this idea this morning. Most know how SC and I like to torment each other (in fun of course) being from not only opposite sides in our methodology but of totally opposite equiptment quality. Him with his fancy Brinsea and me with my lowly lil ole giant styrofoam bator.  ;)   Anyway I was thinking that we should at some point before the summer is over, (prefferably after I have my coops up here for the Easter chicks), we should do a set of eggs together. (I realize mine will be an even bigger disadvantage because my next set will be with my own eggs from my PULLETS. And not sure how that will be. Hopefully they will be big enough and of good quality.) I'm just talking a dozen or two. (However many I can get that are decent size in a weeks time...lol)  We could start a thread LG vs Brinsea- conservative vs semi-liberal, lol and document how each hatch is going and how we differ with our methods and the outcomes. No it wouldn't be scientific or prove anything with too many BIG variables, but I think it'd be fun.  What do you think? 

I love a good competition. You know your stuff Amy but you'd be at a big disadvantage because of the fancy incubator.

I want to butt in lol I'm using a 9300 I set 13 eggs and day 10 got rid of 3 infertiles.. Didn't add water day 1-18 humidity stayed around 30 kept my temp between 101-102 all air sacs growing and seeing movement turned the eggs manual 3-4 times a day.. Now is day 18 I added water and wet cloth and put a non slip cabinet liner under the eggs and got humidity to 65% am I doing good??? And advice will be appreciated this is my first incubation..

Sounds darn-near perfect to me!! I go just a little higher humidity for the hatch. 70-75, but 65 should work fine too. Keep us posted along the way please. And best of luck!

Sounds darn-near perfect to me!!  I go just a little higher humidity for the hatch.  70-75, but 65 should work fine too.   Keep us posted along the way please.  And best of luck!    
I will keep posted..I really hope it goes good.. Since everyone had me scared to open it during lockdown I place a wet wash cloth right under one of the vent holes and going to use a turkey baster to add water to the cloth if I need to, hope it works

I will keep posted..I really hope it goes good.. Since everyone had me scared to open it during lockdown I place a wet wash cloth right under one of the vent holes and going to use a turkey baster to add water to the cloth if I need to, hope it works

There are many who never open it, and there are some who open alot during lockdown. I try not to open unless necessary, but don't worry too much if I feel the need to do so. Dont be scared. You have to do what you feel is right in any given situation. Weigh the risks and gains first. Then go with your gut. Things can go wrong either way, but things can go right either way too! The wash cloth sounds like a good plan!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom