Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
That's why I am so glad I found this website, a lot of great advice from all of u that prob saved my babies, if I didn't have y'all giving pointers I would have done pulled them out of the egg soon as I heard a chirp

My broody has been fired. I went out to check. she was off the nest, taking a leisurely snack. Evidently, she's in love with the idea of sitting on the nest, but not so keen on parenthood. I can relate! They're so much easier to take care of before they hatch. Her one hatchling was laying on it's back, and screaming bloody murder. one pip, an other egg that was 75% stripped of it's shell, and left with a live chick inside an intact but very dry membrane. The other egg, not pipped, but chirping. I told her to get back to work, but she just scowled at me. So, I picked up the stone cold chick, and her other failures, and brought them in to the incubator. Opened the membrane on the stripped egg, having to puncture in 2 places to find the beak. Just as I thought, it was grossly malpositioned, and destined to failure. It's now wrapped in damp paper towel, and will rest at that position most likely until hatch is over or it dies. If it's still alive when hatch finished, I'll assist it. There was some fresh blood where I broke the membrane. So, of course, the bator has lost heat and humidity by being opened. I think I should have a second bator handy just for such occasions.

My broody has been fired. I went out to check. she was off the nest, taking a leisurely snack. Evidently, she's in love with the idea of sitting on the nest, but not so keen on parenthood. I can relate! They're so much easier to take care of before they hatch. Her one hatchling was laying on it's back, and screaming bloody murder. one pip, an other egg that was 75% stripped of it's shell, and left with a live chick inside an intact but very dry membrane. The other egg, not pipped, but chirping. I told her to get back to work, but she just scowled at me. So, I picked up the stone cold chick, and her other failures, and brought them in to the incubator. Opened the membrane on the stripped egg, having to puncture in 2 places to find the beak. Just as I thought, it was grossly malpositioned, and destined to failure. It's now wrapped in damp paper towel, and will rest at that position most likely until hatch is over or it dies. If it's still alive when hatch finished, I'll assist it. There was some fresh blood where I broke the membrane. So, of course, the bator has lost heat and humidity by being opened. I think I should have a second bator handy just for such occasions.
Ouch. Just like these young girls these days running out and having babies, but then not wanting to take care of them after. Bad parenting. Bad chicken!
wink.png

That's why I am so glad I found this website, a lot of great advice from all of u that prob saved my babies, if I didn't have y'all giving pointers I would have done pulled them out of the egg soon as I heard a chirp
I think everybody feels that way the first time. After a few hatches you will learn what a long and drawn out process it is and you won't worry so much

Sounds like you fired her before too much damage was done. What was she thinking? Silly girl.

But seriously, good luck with finishing them for her!

Back
Top Bottom