Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
I just had to cull one of my chicks
hit.gif

Against my better judgement, I helped it out of the shell. It had zipped about halfway around and got stuck. I could see the feathers dried to a bit of membrane where it had pipped. I wasn't really prepared for what was inside that egg. When I got the top off, it was immediately evident that it wasn't right, not normal. The first thing I noticed was the SMELL. Oh the smell, just awful. It was covered in a brownish, thick jelly instead of the normal looking fluid. It was STICKY. When I touched my fingers together, they literally stuck like I had glue on them. When I got it out, it had a large fluid filled sac on its neck (at first I thought it hadn't absorbed its yolk, it was yellow). Its neck was kind of crooked too. So, it left this world as quickly as it entered it. It may have survived, maybe I could've drained the fluid off its neck and hoped it lived a semi normal life, but I did what I thought was best. When I sat it in the 'bator to contemplate whether or not I wanted to try to save it, the other chicks immediately started pecking it. Pulling it around by its toes. That was it, that told me that ending it quickly was the best.
I feel just horrible. If I'd have left it, it would've died. I would've tossed that egg and never known. It wouldn't have looked at me while I was ending its life
hmm.png
I HATE having to do that. Dread it.

Now I'm having a beer. I have one more egg left in the incubator. I'm a little worried that one is going to have problems too, after all that, so I absolutely will not help it. No way, never again, theres a reason I don't do it and I got a stern reminder why tonight.
I'm ready to clean the hatcher out, its pretty smelly in there. But, my husband has convinced me that I should go ahead and start another round of eggs (enabler), so the 9300 is still out and I'm gathering another clutch
hide.gif

hugs.gif
That sucks so bad!! Sorry!!
I am SO sorry about your little guy... I can relate .. somewhat - as I have felt like a mass murderer for the last two months without one of my chicks making it out of the shell.... Hugs to you!

I am going to follow up the previous sad post with a happier one.... drum roll please............

I , in semi - sound mind , am here to tell you that I have Pips!!!! {insert crowd roar}
ya.gif

5 of my eggs have really GOOD pips! I am on pins and Needles... the kids are going crazy bouncy off the walls!

" Mommy didn't kill the eggs this time!" Cheers and songs are being sung around the house!

Now.... Here's hoping that one actually comes out of the shell.
fl.gif
I am soooo glad to hear that!!!! Come on, chickies!!
fl.gif
I will be so dissapointed for you if somethhing goes wrong....so only positive vibes!!!

I just had to cull one of my chicks :hit
Against my better judgement, I helped it out of the shell. It had zipped about halfway around and got stuck. I could see the feathers dried to a bit of membrane where it had pipped. I wasn't really prepared for what was inside that egg. When I got the top off, it was immediately evident that it wasn't right, not normal. The first thing I noticed was the SMELL. Oh the smell, just awful. It was covered in a brownish, thick jelly instead of the normal looking fluid. It was STICKY. When I touched my fingers together, they literally stuck like I had glue on them. When I got it out, it had a large fluid filled sac on its neck (at first I thought it hadn't absorbed its yolk, it was yellow). Its neck was kind of crooked too. So, it left this world as quickly as it entered it. It may have survived, maybe I could've drained the fluid off its neck and hoped it lived a semi normal life, but I did what I thought was best. When I sat it in the 'bator to contemplate whether or not I wanted to try to save it, the other chicks immediately started pecking it. Pulling it around by its toes. That was it, that told me that ending it quickly was the best.
I feel just horrible. If I'd have left it, it would've died. I would've tossed that egg and never known. It wouldn't have looked at me while I was ending its life :/ I HATE having to do that. Dread it.

Now I'm having a beer. I have one more egg left in the incubator. I'm a little worried that one is going to have problems too, after all that, so I absolutely will not help it. No way, never again, theres a reason I don't do it and I got a stern reminder why tonight.
I'm ready to clean the hatcher out, its pretty smelly in there. But, my husband has convinced me that I should go ahead and start another round of eggs (enabler), so the 9300 is still out and I'm gathering another clutch :oops:

Oh I feel so bad for you. I haven't had to do that yet, but I contemplated it with my Psycho chick. I even asked my SIL how to do it. She said she places scissors on the neck, covers it with paper towels and snips without looking. Then just rolls up the towels. I said DH would have to do it, but I guess I could if I felt it necessary, and I feel like you did the right thing. So while it wasn't easy, it probably was best. I'm sorry for your loss and pain. Thanks for sharing though, because I will think twice before helping one now too.

I am SO sorry about your little guy... I can relate .. somewhat - as I have felt like a mass murderer for the last two months without one of my chicks making it out of the shell.... Hugs to you!

I am going to follow up the previous sad post with a happier one.... drum roll please............

I , in semi - sound mind , am here to tell you that I have Pips!!!!  {insert crowd roar} :ya

5 of my eggs have really GOOD pips! I am on pins and Needles... the kids are going crazy bouncy off the walls! 

" Mommy didn't kill the eggs this time!" Cheers and songs are being sung around the house!

Now.... Here's hoping that one actually comes out of the shell. :fl

Yes thank you for good news after that sad news. I'm ecstatic for you after the troubles you have had. Good vibes...good vibes....

Three OUT!!!! I woke up several times last night to check on them... and no progress... then at about 8am ... things started to get moving... my daughter went to school and 15 min later the first one was born... followed by the other two! She is going to be SO bummed that she missed it! But... I did manage to catch it on video!

I have two more that have nice size pips... so I am hopeful that these will appear soon!

Thank you so much for all your help! ....
jumpy.gif

Michele

Three OUT!!!! I woke up several times last night to check on them... and no progress... then at about 8am ... things started to get moving... my daughter went to school and 15 min later the first one was born... followed by the other two! She is going to be SO bummed that she missed it!   But... I did manage to catch it on video!

I have two more that have nice size pips... so I am hopeful that these will appear soon!

Thank you so much for all your help! .... :jumpy

Michele

Yeah!! Congrats! Aren't you glad you kept trying! I feel sure your daughter will get to see more when she gets home.

Three OUT!!!! I woke up several times last night to check on them... and no progress... then at about 8am ... things started to get moving... my daughter went to school and 15 min later the first one was born... followed by the other two! She is going to be SO bummed that she missed it! But... I did manage to catch it on video!

Thank you so much for all your help! ....
jumpy.gif

Michele
I am so happy to hear you are finally getting hatchlings after all the rotten luck you've had! Remind me, how many eggs total did you have go to lockdown?

I just had to cull one of my chicks :hit
I feel just horrible. If I'd have left it, it would've died. I would've tossed that egg and never known. It wouldn't have looked at me while I was ending its life :/ I HATE having to do that. Dread it.

I'm ready to clean the hatcher out, its pretty smelly in there. But, my husband has convinced me that I should go ahead and start another round of eggs (enabler), so the 9300 is still out and I'm gathering another clutch :oops:

I am so sorry. I have not yet had to cull one and I am not looking forward to that day.

I , in semi - sound mind , am here to tell you that I have Pips!!!!  {insert crowd roar} :ya

Now.... Here's hoping that one actually comes out of the shell. :fl

Yea!!!!!!!! I am praying they hatch for you!

Three OUT!!!! I woke up several times last night to check on them... and no progress... then at about 8am ... things started to get moving... my daughter went to school and 15 min later the first one was born... followed by the other two! She is going to be SO bummed that she missed it!   But... I did manage to catch it on video!

Thank you so much for all your help! .... :jumpy

Michele

Yea!!!!!! I did not get far enough down in the forum to see this. I am glad they are hatching! Happy dance, happy dance!

hit.gif

I feel just horrible. If I'd have left it, it would've died. I would've tossed that egg and never known. It wouldn't have looked at me while I was ending its life
hmm.png

I'm ready to clean the hatcher out, its pretty smelly in there. But, my husband has convinced me that I should go ahead and start another round of eggs (enabler), so the 9300 is still out and I'm gathering another clutch
hide.gif
Oh man that really sucks!! I don't think i could stomach having to do that, I would have to call my husband in for something like that :( Hoping for your next batch to all come out happy and healthy and that you won't have to go through that again
fl.gif

hit.gif

hmm.png

hide.gif

I am sure this will be no consolation, but I had two chicks hatch like that earlier this year. I am not sure what caused the issue with the albumen being so nasty, or why the chicks had bloated necks and heads... but one died and I culled one. So sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom