Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
yes I have my vents out.....and I have the brooder ready....so I will go ahead and move them! You are so helpful! Your friend forever! Sherry
wink.png
Any movement from the others yet?

I have 4 in the brooder and 0ne in the incubator and 5 more hatching so far also I have 11 more possible hatches...we will see ....this is day 22 or 23.

I have 10 babies out of 22....2 died in shell, one a double, the other tried to hatch from the small end...I didn't notice it was the small end until it was too late....the egg was almost oval...so it had no air cell. I have one more that has pipped.....and 9 that has not pipped.....so for the first time I guess I did ok. But, I had too many eggs for my first time.....my children at church gave me eggs and I didn't have the heart not to try to hatch them all. I am having to separate the new arrivals in the brooder til they are completely dry because the others don't welcome them too well , if they are the least bit wet. When they are completely dry, they don't notice that they are new. They sure are cute though!

Last edited:
have you had other chicks stumble over one hatching and pull the egg from the hatching chick? I do have one and it bled some.....do you think a little blood will kill the chick? It seems ok...but it did bleed a little on its bottom.

Last edited:
have you had other chicks stumble over one hatching and pull the egg from the hatching chick?   I do have one and it bled some.....do you think a little blood will kill the chick?  It seems ok...but it did bleed a little on its bottom.

Did the bleeding stop??? If there was only a little blood it should be okay. I would not worry. But if it keeps bleeding and does not stop I would try and put some pressure on the spot where it's bleeding to stop it.

the chick is fine now and looks good...on the other hand I have one that can walk and sleep on its tummy...but will sometimes start of get up and will fall on its back and lay there look around a little.. fall asleep for a long time...and then will roll over and either sleep on its tummy or move to another area. It eats and drinks when it is near the food and water..but I have yet to see it actually go to the food and water.

I have another in the incubator just hatched a couple of hours ago...it had one leg over its head and the other turned under it in the egg and when it sleeps it sometimes has both legs under itself but sometimes has one under and the other straight like it was going to stand like a person.

out of 22 eggs I have had 3 die and 12 live babies. I still have 7 eggs in the incubator but I think those are not going to hatch...I will leave them a few more days just in case...but it is day 23 so I will wait til Sunday and see. I did the water test and none move and I waited like a whole minute (I tested the water and it was 99 degrees so I would not chill the egg) I saw no movement at all......but wow.....4 more babies hatched out of those none moving eggs.....so I will just wait and see...I sure hope they don't explode in the incubator!!!!

Also, the last few chicks have had a lot of problems hatching....like they are to tired and even with the humidity in the 70s and 80s they still seem to dry to hatch....I have even added more water.

Last edited:
the chick is fine now and looks good...on the other hand I have one that can walk and sleep on its tummy...but will sometimes start of get up and will fall on its back and lay there look around a little.. fall asleep for a long time...and then will roll over and either sleep on its tummy or move to another area. It eats and drinks when it is near the food and water..but I have yet to see it actually go to the food and water.

I have another in the incubator just hatched a couple of hours ago...it had one leg over its head and the other turned under it in the egg and when it sleeps it sometimes has both legs under itself but sometimes has one under and the other straight like it was going to stand like a person.  

out of 22 eggs I have had 3 die and 12 live babies.  I still have 7 eggs in the incubator but I think those are not going to hatch...I will leave them a few more days just in case...but it is day 23 so I will wait til Sunday and see.   I did the water test and none move and I waited like a whole minute (I tested the water and it was 99 degrees so I would not chill the egg) I saw no movement at all......but wow.....4 more babies hatched out of those none moving eggs.....so I will just wait and see...I sure hope they don't explode in the incubator!!!!

Also, the last few chicks have had a lot of problems hatching....like they are to tired and even with the humidity in the 70s and 80s they still seem to dry to hatch....I have even added more water.

Can you post a pic of the chicks with the leg problems so we can try to diagnose possible problems??? Overall you did great for a first hatch. Good job!!!

t

These are my little chicks....then the last three pictures are of my little one that has loss of balance. It sleeps on its back a lot and seems to have trouble getting up...but it can walk and sleep on its tummy too. It will eat and drink. The other chick that had a problem with its leg has gotten a lot better and I have to keep looking to pick it out....it only walks a little wobbly and is getting less and less....I think it just needed to work out the stiffness of being cramped so long.

Any......Did you see my pictures? What do you think I should do about my little chickie?
Adorable. The chick doesn't have spraddle leg right? If not I would try the wry neck treatment, and see if that helps at all.

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2014/04/preventing-and-treating-wry-neck-in.html
http://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/wry-neck.html

Outside of that, I don't know. You may want to post on the emergency forum and see if anyone has delt with a like situation.

Back
Top Bottom