Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
I sure wish I had found this thread last week! We had already set our eggs & the humidity has been too high since we set them on Thursday! Eek! I'm trying to bring it down now & I think if we can get 1 to hatch this time, I'll consider it a success! I'll definitely be following the cheat sheet when I set the batch of eggs I ordered for later this month! The temp is driving me crazy & I'm leaving the knob alone!!! Unfortunately, while I let the LG warm up for a few days, I didn't have the temp stable, so I'm kind of fighting that, too! Arg! Crossing my fingers & hoping for at least just 1 this round! (We only set 7...). Thanks for all of the great info on here!

I do have one question...We are attempting to hatch bantam eggs. IF we can get some to make it to lockdown, should I put them in early? I saw mention a few times that bantams hatch earlier? Thanks again!!!
Welcome to BYC.

You may need to delay lockdown conditions as long as possible as it sounds like these eggs may need more time to dry down.

Have you candled the eggs to see if the aircell is developing in a timely manner??

YOu can alter the humidity if necessary. Sometimes it is as easy as removing the water source. IN my house the AC dries the eggs more.

My suggestion is to candle the eggs, if you haven't already, and adjust the humidity accordingly.

WHen you say the temps aren't holding, what readings are you getting??ANd where are they located?

I haven't hatched bantams, but it is likely that they will hatch early if the temp is correct.

Im getting 4 different temps on my thermometers. I calibrated one with a mercury thermometer and it was .5 lower. This one is at the middle of the eggs and is reading between 100-100.5 (actual reading is 99.5-100) Therm on top of eggs is 99.5. I took out the digital therm that came with incubator to test it. I put it in a plastic baggie and submerged it in ice water. The lowest it read was 34.7. Did plastic bag affect reading? I cant submerge it..not sure how to calibrate it.

Welcome to BYC. 

You may  need to delay lockdown conditions as long as possible as it sounds like these eggs may need more time to dry down. 

Have you candled the eggs to see if the aircell is developing in a timely manner?? 

YOu can alter the humidity if necessary. Sometimes it is as easy as removing the water source. IN my house the AC dries the eggs more. 

My suggestion is to candle the eggs, if you haven't already, and adjust the humidity accordingly. 

WHen you say the temps aren't holding, what readings are you getting??ANd where are they located?

I haven't hatched bantams, but it is likely that they will hatch early if the temp is correct.

I have not candled yet, I was waiting until day 7. I will do that this evening. I realized that part of my humidity problem is because we have a swamp cooler. I'm not sure what to do about that. We're trying not to run it unless absolutely necessary, but it's just humid right now anyway!

The temps keep dipping as low as 97/98 & as high as 103. That's at the top of the egg height. I'm sure it's not accurate as I have the thermometers that came with the incubator that I've heard are inaccurate. I need to get some aquarium thermometers & a digital hygrometer. I bought a dial one, but I'm not confident in its accuracy.

I'm concerned because I'm getting some eggs shipped (I had already ordered before I read this thread) on the 25th & I don't feel like I'll be ready & stable after this hatch by that time. How long do I need to let shipped eggs rest? & how? Little end down in an egg carton? I'm feeling so unprepared! The "directions" in the LG manual seemed so...simple!!!

I have not candled yet, I was waiting until day 7. I will do that this evening. I realized that part of my humidity problem is because we have a swamp cooler. I'm not sure what to do about that. We're trying not to run it unless absolutely necessary, but it's just humid right now anyway!

The temps keep dipping as low as 97/98 & as high as 103. That's at the top of the egg height. I'm sure it's not accurate as I have the thermometers that came with the incubator that I've heard are inaccurate. I need to get some aquarium thermometers & a digital hygrometer. I bought a dial one, but I'm not confident in its accuracy.

I'm concerned because I'm getting some eggs shipped (I had already ordered before I read this thread) on the 25th & I don't feel like I'll be ready & stable after this hatch by that time. How long do I need to let shipped eggs rest? & how? Little end down in an egg carton? I'm feeling so unprepared! The "directions" in the LG manual seemed so...simple!!!
welcome-byc.gif
I usually don't candle before day 10 as it is easier to see the embryo moving in the shell. Is your incubator a still air or circulated air? Also are you using a turner? Where is your incubator located? These things can affect the temp and humidity. Have you calibrated your thermometers and hygrometer? The temperature is a bit high at 103. As long as it doesn't stay there long you should be ok. I had some power issues before where my incubator went as low as 78ºF and as high as 115ºF. Luckily I still had good hatches but I was worried. I keep my incubator in a room that I can shut off from the rest of the house so there is less outside influence affecting the temperature and humidity. Some people use a closet.

As far as shipped eggs go some people let them sit out for at least 24hrs before putting them in the incubator. I have tried it many ways. I have had good hatches regardless of how long I let them sit. Most of the time I put the eggs right in as soon as I get them. Some of the people who ship eggs will write the collection date on the eggs and some don't. If I'm not sure and there is no dates on the eggs, they go right into the incubator. Sometimes I don't turn on the turner until the next day but most of the time that doesn't happen. I still have good hatches. My opinion is if the temperature and humidity are good you should have a good hatch. It may not be 100% but still should be good. Now I have a cabinet incubator and do staggered hatches. I incubate in the cabinet incubator and use my styrofoam incubators as hatchers.

If you need to calibrate, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/601352/little-giant-incubator-tricks/460#post_9582606 Good luck and have fun...

I want to add, if you have a type of thermometer that may be ruined by water use the ice method with ice only. It works. I have some that I can't put in water and have used just ice. I put it about half way down in the ice and check the reading at 5 minute intervals. The temperature should go down to 32ºF. It can take several minutes for it to read correctly. The temperature will go down to 32ºF but won't stay there long before going back up so you have to pay attention to it.

Last edited:
:welcome I usually don't candle before day 10 as it is easier to see the embryo moving in the shell. Is your incubator a still air or circulated air? Also are you using a turner? Where is your incubator located? These things can affect the temp and humidity. Have you calibrated your thermometers and hygrometer? The temperature is a bit high at 103. As long as it doesn't stay there long you should be ok. I had some power issues before where my incubator went as low as 78ºF and as high as 115ºF. Luckily I still had good hatches but I was worried. I keep my incubator in a room that I can shut off from the rest of the house so there is less outside influence affecting the temperature and humidity. Some people use a closet.

As far as shipped eggs go some people let them sit out for at least 24hrs before putting them in the incubator. I have tried it many ways. I have had good hatches regardless of how long I let them sit. Most of the time I put the eggs right in as soon as I get them. Some of the people who ship eggs will write the collection date on the eggs and some don't. If I'm not sure and there is no dates on the eggs, they go right into the incubator. Sometimes I don't turn on the turner until the next day but most of the time that doesn't happen. I still have good hatches. My opinion is if the temperature and humidity are good you should have a good hatch. It may not be 100% but still should be good. Now I have a cabinet incubator and do staggered hatches. I incubate in the cabinet incubator and use my styrofoam incubators as hatchers.

If you need to calibrate, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/601352/little-giant-incubator-tricks/460#post_9582606 Good luck and have fun...

I want to add, if you have a type of thermometer that may be ruined by water use the ice method with ice only. It works. I have some that I can't put in water and have used just ice. I put it about half way down in the ice and check the reading at 5 minute intervals. The temperature should go down to 32ºF. It can take several minutes for it to read correctly. The temperature will go down to 32ºF but won't stay there long before going back up so you have to pay attention to it.

I have a still air & my hubby said he would install a fan for me, hopefully I can talk him into it between this batch & the next. I am using a turner. We live in an old, VERY poorly insulated house, so finding an area where the temp stays steady has been problematic. I think I've gotten the temp to stable a little, but I'm going to try adding a heat sink.

I think Arielle's suggestion for candling was to check the air cell, but realizing I can't lower the humidity anymore than I have, maybe I should just wait? Thank goodness my daughter's hen lays light eggs so I'll be able to (hopefully!) see something!

Thanks again for all if the helpful advice from everyone! I'm sure some of these questions have already been answered in this thread, but jeez, there was A LOT to take in! I'm just keeping my fingers crossed & hoping for the best now!

I have used 8 of these hova's and LG's all at one time..

here is a trick to stabilize the temp and humidity..

as you all have found uut,, that each time you open the bator, the temps seldom go back to where you had it set.. this is why:

the seal between the top of the bator and the bottom section is not constant..

I take four pieces of duct tape and tape the seam where the top sets on the base..

If you do not have a turner insede, prop one side of the bator on a 2x4 or a brick or similar object..
to turn the eggs, simply place the brick on the opposite side of the bator,, do this each time you want to turn the eggs..
no need to open the bator ..

you can add water through one of the vent holes with a tube attached to a small funnel..

I run the whole incubation period without the plugs in the holes..

then at lockdown, put the plugs into the holes and the humidity should rise.. the heat will stay the same..

when you are initially setting the temperature before adding eggs.. do it without any water in the incubator,, the humidity should stay below 35%..

once stabilized, add water..

I have a still air & my hubby said he would install a fan for me, hopefully I can talk him into it between this batch & the next. I am using a turner. We live in an old, VERY poorly insulated house, so finding an area where the temp stays steady has been problematic. I think I've gotten the temp to stable a little, but I'm going to try adding a heat sink.

I think Arielle's suggestion for candling was to check the air cell, but realizing I can't lower the humidity anymore than I have, maybe I should just wait? Thank goodness my daughter's hen lays light eggs so I'll be able to (hopefully!) see something!

Thanks again for all if the helpful advice from everyone! I'm sure some of these questions have already been answered in this thread, but jeez, there was A LOT to take in! I'm just keeping my fingers crossed & hoping for the best now!
Since it is still rather early in the incubation you can still deal with the humidity, but the closer you get to lockdown the more problematic it can become. The chicks will form ok but when they pip the air cell, (internal pip) moisture can condense in the air cell and they can drown so it's very important to get the humidity down until lockdown then the last 3 days of incubation raise the humidity. Still air incubators are usually kept at around 101ºF. Since the air isn't circulated there are more hot and cool spots. It is a good idea when you candle to rotate the eggs because of the hot and cool spots. Again good luck and have fun...

Thank you all again so very much! The humidity seems to have come down to about 50%. I haven't been running my swamp cooler & still can't get it any lower. Is 50% ok???

& the is at 100, & has been since yesterday. Should I up it a *hair*? Or leave it be?

Thank you all again so very much! The humidity seems to have come down to about 50%. I haven't been running my swamp cooler & still can't get it any lower. Is 50% ok???

& the is at 100, & has been since yesterday. Should I up it a *hair*? Or leave it be?
50% humidity is ok but lower is better. The temp is fine at 100. Since I started incubating at around 35% humidity my hatches have been much better.

Quote: I like to check by about day 5 to see if the aircell is even growing larger. If it hasn't changed I need to do something.

I bought 5 fish tank thermometersthat measured the same air temp in the store. I then put them into a cup of warm , not hot, water. ALl measured the same, of course, lol

THere are little factores that effect the temp, and so I try to keep records of where I measure the temp and which thermometer. Based on the lengthof time, early or late, I know if I need to adjust the temp or leave it alone.

I had one batch of eggs, my first batch that started with water in the wells per the instructions of the LG. Took the whole incubation time to get the air cells almost right. 50% hatch rate forchicken and turkey eggs, I was a complete wreck. SO I understand your nerves.

Perhaps your main focus should be to getused to the machine and used to taking its temp, lol, and how the whole process works. THen you will be a little more relaxed for the shipped eggs.

Just remember to wash your hands before handling the eggs. Check just a few for the air cells. THe more you handle them the more likley to experience an accident. Oh and washed hands are slippery!!

Back
Top Bottom