Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
I like to check by about day 5 to see if the aircell is even growing larger. If it hasn't changed I need to do something. 

I bought 5 fish tank thermometersthat measured the same air temp in the store. I then put them into a cup of warm , not hot, water.  ALl measured the same, of course, lol

THere are little factores that effect the temp, and so I try to keep records of where I measure the temp and which thermometer.  Based on the lengthof time, early or late, I know if I need to adjust the temp or leave it alone.

I had one batch of eggs, my first batch that started with water in the wells per the instructions of the LG. Took the whole incubation time to get the air cells almost right. 50% hatch rate forchicken and turkey eggs, I was a complete wreck.  SO I understand your nerves. 

Perhaps your main focus should be to getused to the machine and used to taking its temp, lol, and how the whole process works. THen you will be a little more relaxed for the shipped eggs. 

Just remember to wash your hands before handling the eggs. Check just a few for the air cells. THe more you handle them the more likley to experience an accident.  Oh and washed hands are slippery!!

Thank you! I do feel a bit better & I'll candle them tonight to check the air cell. I think that will help me feel better as well. Or, freak me out more if its not right! Lol! But at least I'll have an idea of where I'm headed! ;-)

Last edited:
I like to check by about day 5 to see if the aircell is even growing larger. If it hasn't changed I need to do something. 

I bought 5 fish tank thermometersthat measured the same air temp in the store. I then put them into a cup of warm , not hot, water.  ALl measured the same, of course, lol

THere are little factores that effect the temp, and so I try to keep records of where I measure the temp and which thermometer.  Based on the lengthof time, early or late, I know if I need to adjust the temp or leave it alone.

I had one batch of eggs, my first batch that started with water in the wells per the instructions of the LG. Took the whole incubation time to get the air cells almost right. 50% hatch rate forchicken and turkey eggs, I was a complete wreck.  SO I understand your nerves. 

Perhaps your main focus should be to getused to the machine and used to taking its temp, lol, and how the whole process works. THen you will be a little more relaxed for the shipped eggs. 

Just remember to wash your hands before handling the eggs. Check just a few for the air cells. THe more you handle them the more likley to experience an accident.  Oh and washed hands are slippery!!

I candled this morning. Out of 7 eggs, 3 had nothing in them (I'm assuming that means they weren't fertile?), 2 had a blood ring (is that what that's called? I had no idea what that was, but knew it when I saw it!), 1 MAYBE had an embryo & 1 FOR SURE had an embryo, but the air cell looked WAY too small. I'm hoping I can keep my humidity down enough to reduce that. I ended up candling all of them because I wasn't finding anything. :-/ I'm happy it looks like we have one, but not so confident it will make it to hatch. I'm just crossing my fingers & I'll let you know what happens! Thanks again for all of the info! I can't tell you how much we appreciate it (especially my daughter!)!

I candled this morning. Out of 7 eggs, 3 had nothing in them (I'm assuming that means they weren't fertile?), 2 had a blood ring (is that what that's called? I had no idea what that was, but knew it when I saw it!), 1 MAYBE had an embryo & 1 FOR SURE had an embryo, but the air cell looked WAY too small. I'm hoping I can keep my humidity down enough to reduce that. I ended up candling all of them because I wasn't finding anything. :-/ I'm happy it looks like we have one, but not so confident it will make it to hatch. I'm just crossing my fingers & I'll let you know what happens! Thanks again for all of the info! I can't tell you how much we appreciate it (especially my daughI
I hope you have read this entire thread. There is a lot of good information to help you achieve better hatch rates. Good luck and have fun...
caf.gif

I hope you have read this entire thread. There is a lot of good information to help you achieve better hatch rates. Good luck and have fun... :caf

I did! But I found it after I had started this batch (of course!) & there was A LOT of info in there! I'm MOST DEFINITELY using ChooksChick's cheat sheet when my new batch gets here. The incubator was given to us, or I probably never would have tried to hatch eggs ourselves. After reading the so-called "directions", I thought I was good to go! How little I knew! & still know! I figure every hatch is a learning experience, whether successful or not, so I'm keeping notes! Thanks for all of the help! Everyone here on BYC is so helpful & nice! It's wonderful! Hopefully I'll have enough knowledge to share one day as well! Pay it forward! :)

Quote: Just remember shipped eggs are always a gamble. You may or may not have a good hatch. It is always good to do a few hatches with your own eggs or barnyard eggs, then if things goes wrong you can work them out. I did several hatches first and with each hatch learned a little more until finally I was having very good hatch rates. I now hatch out some heritage breeds that I show at poultry shows.

Not sure if this has been posted on this thread.

Just remember shipped eggs are always a gamble. You may or may not have a good hatch. It is always good to do a few hatches with your own eggs or barnyard eggs, then if things goes wrong you can work them out. I did several hatches first and with each hatch learned a little more until finally I was having very good hatch rates. I now hatch out some heritage breeds that I show at poultry shows. Not sure if this has been posted on this thread.
Unfortunately, I had already ordered the eggs before reading this thread, or I would have waited & hatched some of my own first. As it is, I'm going to give it my best & cross my fingers! If I get one show quality roo out of it, I'll be a happy camper! I'm not holding my breath, though!

Quote: What breed are you going to be incubating? I show Heritage RIR and Heritage RC RIW. My avitar is one of my HRIR's.

Here are some of my RC RIW's. I am after a coyote that killed a bunch of my birds. I also had a fox but trapped the fox. I saw the coyote back this evening so will set traps out for it tomorrow.

@ CMOM---Nice looking RC RIW! Love the little sunroof-- just the idea I have been looking for.

@ Rickarae---What are you doing to increase the moisture loss?? Also don't toss any eggs yet, too early in the incubtion process.

@ Rickarae---What are you doing to increase the moisture loss?? Also don't toss any eggs yet, too early in the incubtion process.
I agree, The eggs need to loose moisture during incubation and if the humidity is too high the eggs can't loose enough moisture which will result in a poor hatch. I wouldn't toss any eggs yet either. I usually take a sharpie and make a mark on questionable eggs and sometimes when I thought they probably were quitters they were just a little behind and hatched. Of course some won't but what a nice surprise when they do.

Back
Top Bottom