Little Runner

Today Sassyfras was in the pool, I of course was standing right there thankfully... Flossy was at my feet just hanging out & Felix who is just a hand full right now decided he was going to get into the pool too... Which was fine bc neither of them had paid much attention to Sassy & I was thinking "OK, this is good!"-- it wasn't good. He tried to "attack" her & even after I picked her up(before he got to her) he still tried to get to her in my arms with that long neck! He got my leg & knew he was in trouble so he jumped out of the pool really fast & waddled off! Am I still blaming hormones??
Yes mainly. he sees her as a threat and may not accept her till the biggest part of hormones are dwindling which may be this coming winter. My Runners never even stopped mating at all this whole winter. But the hormones sure weren't are like they are now. So just keep letting them be around each other with you there to keep it under control and it will finally get resolved it just takes time. If he goes after you pin him down to the ground on his belly facing away from you hold onto his neck so he can't bite. Hold him like that till he stops trying to get up, then let him go with a shove. Your going to have to put a stop to his behavior towards you. Biting is unacceptable. He is hormonal but needs to know his limitations.

Yes mainly.  he sees her as a threat and may not accept her till the biggest part of hormones are dwindling which may be this coming winter. My Runners never even stopped mating at all this whole winter. But the hormones sure weren't are like they are now.  So just keep letting them be around each other with you there to keep it under control and it will finally get resolved it just takes time. If he goes after you pin him down to the ground on his belly facing away from you hold onto his neck so he can't bite.  Hold him like that till he stops trying to get up, then let him go with a shove. Your going to have to put a stop to his behavior towards you. Biting is unacceptable. He is hormonal but needs to know his limitations. 

I did just that yesterday! He wasn't happy about it, but I'm not putting up with his craziness! I understand he's young & "in love" but he isn't gonna bite the hand that feeds him... Literally! He knew he was I trouble just as soon as he did it! Ol' fathead!

Also, I was going to ask you about Flossy. If she walks all the way from their pin which is at my house over to their outside pool (which is currently at my grandmothers bc were staying here while we remodel) she just has to lay down! She flops down! Or either she will try to use her wings to keep her balance.. I know because 1 of the bites was in the muscle of her leg, it's going to take time to completely heal... But in the mean time is there anything I can do to help her? I usually try to carry her the distance (100ish yards).. & I've been putting some tumeric in her water. Also massaging her little leg while I'm holding her... I'm still searching for the yeast! I may end up having to order it online. The small town we live in doesn't seem to carry it.... Anywhere! Hopefully GNC will have it! Any advice?

I did just that yesterday! He wasn't happy about it, but I'm not putting up with his craziness! I understand he's young & "in love" but he isn't gonna bite the hand that feeds him... Literally! He knew he was I trouble just as soon as he did it! Ol' fathead!

Also, I was going to ask you about Flossy. If she walks all the way from their pin which is at my house over to their outside pool (which is currently at my grandmothers bc were staying here while we remodel) she just has to lay down! She flops down! Or either she will try to use her wings to keep her balance.. I know because 1 of the bites was in the muscle of her leg, it's going to take time to completely heal... But in the mean time is there anything I can do to help her? I usually try to carry her the distance (100ish yards).. & I've been putting some tumeric in her water. Also massaging her little leg while I'm holding her... I'm still searching for the yeast! I may end up having to order it online. The small town we live in doesn't seem to carry it.... Anywhere! Hopefully GNC will have it! Any advice?
I bet it's the muscle needing to heal completely. Are you noticing any redness or swelling in the leg/s?

Water therapy is one of the best ways for her to build back up her muscles but walking that far maybe a bit much for her sounds like it is. So you may have to just carry her back and forth till she is 100%, she's getting there. I order mine from Amazon with Prime I get it in 2 days. I would think GNC would carry it too. I can't find it in my small town either.

I bet it's the muscle needing to heal completely.  Are you noticing any redness or swelling in the leg/s?

Water therapy is one of the best ways for her to build back up her muscles but walking that far maybe a bit much for her sounds like it is.  So you may have to just carry her back and forth till she is 100%, she's getting there. I order mine from Amazon with Prime I get it in 2 days.  I would think GNC would carry it too. I can't find it in my small town either.

No, the leg isn't red, heated, or swollen. I'll have to get something deep enough for her to actually swim.. so she can work the muscle!

We got 3 runners in a batch of pekins from TSC. I am super excited about them, they are fawn & white & are about 4.5 weeks old, how can I tell males from females at this point or do I have to wait for the tail curl feather? Oh, they are really bossy with the pekins and khakis too, it's adorable!

Last edited:
We got 3 runners in a batch of pekins from TSC. I am super excited about them, they are fawn & white & are about 4.5 weeks old, how can I tell males from females at this point or do I have to wait for the tail curl feather? Oh, they are really bossy with the pekins and khakis too, it's adorable!
Females quack real loud and drakes make a raspy quiet quack that will come before the curled drake feather. How about some pics.

Welcome to BYC @naturalroots17

A cute pile of soft.

Back
Top Bottom