Live Stock Auctions

Quote:

Why should people not be allowed to sell animals that are sick or lame or whatever??? You gotta do SOMEthing with them, and many times it is not necessarily something you'd have to put the animal down for, SOMEone might be willing to deal with it, or looking for something to butcher right away.

I can't understand why you are taking comments on average animal health to be "anti-auction".

All I'm saying is that GIVEN that this is the case IN MANY PLACES (have you lived where I've lived and been to the auctions I've been to? Obviously not. So while it is perfectly possible that in your area your favorite auctions contain 99%-only healthy animals, all I am saying is that that is JUST NOT THE CASE EVERYWHERE, by any stretch of the imagination whatsoever)

This is fine for people who KNOW what a healthy vs not-healthy animal looks like, and are willing to cope with whatever mistakes they may make. It is NOT so fine for a beginner who has to ask how to tell healthy animals.

I kind of have the feeling that you are talking about an utterly different kind of auction than most of the rest of the posters on this thread.

Pat

That's just the way it is....if the vet says it's not fit for sale, it doesn't sell......I have a feeling it might be a state or federal statute, but I don't know for sure. I'll have to see if can find anything online about that. I know there's several signs posted stating that the vet has to inspect them....for which we are charged a fee. There's one where we unload, one in the lobby and another on the wall in the sale ring.

I only want to add one thing and ask 2 questions.
My additional comment. IF you can, go to this one, talk to the sellers, see if you can purchase an animal NOT brought to the auction from them at their farm. NOT one of the animals going thru the auction.
AND if you can wait, go to this one, see what goes through, see what they are selling for (Leave checkbook and wallet locked in the car). See the condition of the animals, get a good assessment and then go back next month to get the animals you want.

Now my questions, you state you want to get a couple of pigs, 2 females and a male, WHY? if they are going to the freezer? Why not just get males. Most females going to auction are going for a reason, such as not producing or worse. But why those sexes?
AND- are you set up to bottle feed a baby? getting up every few hours to feed it and have medications on hand for scours and other things that are likely to occur?
Just thought I would mention those things.
Good luck.
Carol

I love to go to auctions. I like to go early so I can see the animals as they come in. Sometimes I can talk to the owners and ask them questions about why the animals are there and if there were any health concerns. Good luck!

I getting to females to breed and then kill off the male. I am not getting bottle babyies im going to be looking for weaned kids and lambs.....I am going to this auction on Friday so I will look around and see if I can find any farmers willing to sell right off there farm. Which is a good idea THANKS..

Thanks,
RIRs

Any livestock auction i've ever been to was a sad sad site.. thats all i'm going to say about it..
I would NEVER ever buy from one. Never... too many sick animals for sale..
From what i've seen, you simply CANT trust most of the sellers ..they sell sick animals and could care less.

ETD..except my buddy MFB, of course!
lol.png
(
hide.gif
)

Last edited:
A question for all of you who think all livestock auctions are poor places to buy animals.

How many of you have been to a true livestock auction where thousands of head of cattle are sold in a day?

Or do you call an animal swap a livestock auction?

A true livestock auction is very well run and regulated.

Back
Top Bottom