Llama thread anyone?

I think thatwould be a matter of personal preference. Kind f like chicken breeds. Aloacas are smallet, hsve finer wool and currently cost more because they are "the trend" right now.

Otherwise I haven't really heard anyone say one is better than another.

Just to toss this in:

BABY!!!!!!!

This was my Mother's day gift!
wee.gif

I love llamas!!!!! but I have a question... are alpacas better in any way than llamas or perhaps the other way around.
smile.png
I have 3 alpaca males. 2 are 5 years old and 1 is just a baby 6 months old. Each animal has it's own personality. Julian will let me touch him and will eat out of my hand if I have a realy good treat. Chico will come near but does not like to be touched. Baby Bartholomew is still taking a bottle and is much more cuddly. Alpacas are smaller than llamas and thier fleese is maybe more soft. We got them originally to help eat weeds and protect our chickens from predators. They do eat some weeds but definetly prefer to be fed. I got alpacas vs llamas because they are smaller. I hear for protection llamas may be better but our boys have done their job so far. I have to say that our alpacas have gotten much more approachable once we added goats to the inclosure. There is nothing shy about goats.

I have 3 alpaca males. 2 are 5 years old and 1 is just a baby 6 months old. Each animal has it's own personality. Julian will let me touch him and will eat out of my hand if I have a realy good treat. Chico will come near but does not like to be touched. Baby Bartholomew is still taking a bottle and is much more cuddly. Alpacas are smaller than llamas and thier fleese is maybe more soft. We got them originally to help eat weeds and protect our chickens from predators. They do eat some weeds but definetly prefer to be fed. I got alpacas vs llamas because they are smaller. I hear for protection llamas may be better but our boys have done their job so far. I have to say that our alpacas have gotten much more approachable once we added goats to the inclosure. There is nothing shy about goats.
We have been considering some Alpacas. We would love to have some but we haven't located any at a reasonable "pet" price. We aren't looking to breed or sell and would just enjoy having them around but the prices
ep.gif

I live in San Diego and the male 'pet quality' alpacas I have were $250.00 each. I purchased my older ones here locally and drove 2 hours north for the baby. The price seemed reasonable to me but everyone has a different budget and a different idea of what reasonable is. Females sell from 750 to " WOW. THAT MUCH?"

I live in San Diego and the male 'pet quality' alpacas I have were $250.00 each. I purchased my older ones here locally and drove 2 hours north for the baby. The price seemed reasonable to me but everyone has a different budget and a different idea of what reasonable is. Females sell from 750 to " WOW. THAT MUCH?" 

We are in Arkansas and there are not a lot of breeders here. The ones I have found want 2K plus. I thik I will look at the llama rescue groups and see what we find. Our ladies are older ' now 11 & 13. We got them breed for $250 each. Only one actually took but we are enjoying them.

Back
Top Bottom