Local animal rescue turns 39 roosters loose together

Many making a livelihood from animals do in fact avoid considering their charges as anything more as pieces of meat. Some of my grandparents were like that apparently to avoid attachments with livestock that had to be killed or sold later. My parents and other grandparents clearly regarded the same animals as individuals worthy of more consideration and a consequence tried to make lives for charges better and did not talk about them as simply something that exist purely for our benefit. My grandparents on the gamefowl side fell into the latter category. When you have farmers that seem to develop the callus positions, that may be a mechanism needed by some to enable doing so much with animals they would not want done to themselves. We live in a world where a little more size and specialization of farming operation is required making some animal producers to have to do the more unpleasant aspects of their jobs more frequently.

We eat other organisms and as a result we do things that do not benefit all individuals of populations we impact. No matter where you try to position yourself trophically somebody else is going to be impacted in a negative manner. Only way to avoid this is either to cease to be here or separate oneself from the food chain. I like eating but would not mind going somewhere else and understanding our role in food chain as it exist now may help succeed with a viable move to where we can manipulate a more efficient food chain that does not cause so many negative impacts.

It's a pity all animals weren't herbivores. However, I would expect that there will be some people who regard vegetation as having feelings and an awareness of pain. I think chickens are amazing as they produce so many eggs which are nutritious and versatile and ask so little in return, it's such a shame that we need to eat the chickens too. Egg salads would sustain me and I am sure that I would be healthier for it. Like you, I like to eat and I am not a vegetarian, so as such, I have to detach myself from the food chain. The growing population will not help matters. I understand what you say and it is so true, I was told not to give names to the chickens that I have and it was the first thing I did. They each have their own personalities and I have so few, I can enjoy them as pets, little pets which provide enough eggs which means that I don't ever have to buy any.

You say that they don't lay as much as they age? That would again present a problem wouldn't it? In my case I don't have them just for eggs so they will hopefully live happy little lives in my little" bubble".

I think foxes are the main predator here but my little group are secured at night and it is rare for a fox to come around this area although it has happened a couple of times - before I had chickens.

Of course. I have put my feelings forward anyway, enjoyed the comments and learned from a very knowledgeable, admirable person.

Back
Top Bottom