London 2012!

I'd like to see the Tae Kwon Do also. I used to compete in the 80's and 90's and my instructor, Myong Namkung Mayes is a Grand Master, the highest ranking female in TKD in the world. She also coached the 1988 Olympic Team for the USA. She still has two schools here in North Carolina. I love the sport. It teaches so much discipline and it's great exercise. We do a lot of bouncing, like a boxer, but we use mostly legs....we are taught that for Olympic style competition..

yeah, well, chickened, if you knew the rules about soccer you probably wouldn't have made your last statement. I don't think we should look down on any sports.. if there is serious competition for a certain event then why not? Early this morning when I was getting dressed and ready for my day I saw a thing on the news about a sport called "goalball." It's 3v3 and everyone is blindfolded and they throw a ball with bells in it towards the other team.. all three opponents have a goal behind them and they just try to hear which way the ball is coming and try to block it. Yeah, pretty ridiculous, but if there is a world wide competition for it why not?

- Goalball. Even more silly than speedwalking.
If you are referring to the official instituting a penalty shot in the event of a tie then why bore the viewers with 1 1/2 hours of no scoring when it can be settled with one kick... seems silly to me and FYI my oldest son played soccer for 13 years... was a lefty and could kick the ball in the goal from the left corner and played left forward.

I've been watching the Tae Kwon Do matches online. Thank goodness for steaming video! NBC is totally ignoring this sport. It's kinda funny - some of the matches look like kangaroos fighting. Just one leg and a lot of bouncing.
To my surprise USA got a gold in Judo! So awesome!

The Olympics are fun. I like when the athletes win a gold.. just the expression on their faces. Such joy, glee. Hard not to smile for them.

to chickened: That could be said about any sport really. Well, maybe not basketball. In any case if they knew in advance nobody was going to score maybe they would settle it with one kick. Unfortunately we have not figured out how to see into the future yet.

The Olympics are fun. I like when the athletes win a gold.. just the expression on their faces. Such joy, glee. Hard not to smile for them.

to chickened: That could be said about any sport really. Well, maybe not basketball. In any case if they knew in advance nobody was going to score maybe they would settle it with one kick. Unfortunately we have not figured out how to see into the future yet.
There is a reason it is not very popular here compared to football or basketball. I think watching a game where nobody scores is what leads to the riots at the soccer games.

I admit I am biased against soccer although I watched it for 13 years but it is different when your own kid is playing for some reason.

i do like watching water polo though it is brutal the way they play it.

What is the reason that football is not very popular in the US, as it is so popular throughout the rest of the world, particularly in South America? It is a game of great skill when played well. Of course it is true that there is not always a goal, but that might reflect the fact that the two teams are very evenly matched. It is watched I think not only for the goals scored but also for the spectacle of the great talent displayed by many of the great players.
BMX, now there's another weird sport. You can see youngsters all around the world messing about on these tiddly little bikes, and many of them are very god at handling them. Strange Olympic sport though?

What is the reason that football is not very popular in the US, as it is so popular throughout the rest of the world, particularly in South America? It is a game of great skill when played well. Of course it is true that there is not always a goal, but that might reflect the fact that the two teams are very evenly matched. It is watched I think not only for the goals scored but also for the spectacle of the great talent displayed by many of the great players.
BMX, now there's another weird sport. You can see youngsters all around the world messing about on these tiddly little bikes, and many of them are very god at handling them. Strange Olympic sport though?

Besides the no scoring it's to slow and uneventful. I think if you asked Americans why they don't like it in one word, most would say boring.

caf.gif

Last edited:

If you guys won more often you'd be interested in it.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom