Look at What We Caught in Our Apartment!!!

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
Mind you, I'm PERFECTLY fine working with mice and rats at work at the lab...but in my home...

I "thought" I saw something run across the floor where I was sitting, but could find no trace of it at all. So I wrote it off as me being sleepy.

I'm getting ready for dinner and just sat down to type on here and my boyfriend is standing by the sink and asks "Do we have a chipmunk?" I look at him and say "What?!" And he runs and grabs something to catch it (big softie).

After barricading the thing into the laundry room, he taps on the dryer and out pops this little thing. It's not a mouse or a chipmunk. It's a Russian Dwarf Hamster!!!
big_smile.png

After asking all the neighbors if their child lost one, nobody claims it. Now we have it in a temporary cage to keep it safe. It is sweet so was someone's pet or just has a good nature. Here's some quick photos I got of it...they're not good but the thing is SO cute. I asked him if he wanted to give it away and he said "No! It's mine!!!!" He's never had his own pet before...

Stow-away005.jpg

Stow-away004.jpg

Stow-away001.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I have NO idea! We've been trying to figure it out...but there's no way it could have gotten in except through the front door! And we keep that closed constantly! And since nobody in our complex had one..it couldn't have used the vents???

It's like a magic hamster!!!

We haven't named her yet! lol! (I'm worried she could be pregnant, but she's not plushy or fat at all...but you KNOW how rodents are...)

My boyfriend is the one that found her and caught her...he wants to name her something "cool".

Its a good thing that little hamster decided to find a home in your house. Had he wandered into our house, he would have been mistaken for a mouse and beat to death! Good thing there are animal lovers like yourself
smile.png

I was renting a farm house a few years ago, before we bought our current home and my daughter said she heard scratching in her room. I thought, it's an old farm house, she's hearing creaking, well...a week later I saw "something" run quickly on the ceiling (post and beam style) and disappear. So we sat up humane traps thinking rat. Guess what we caught, eventually, and 4 of them. Freaking Sugar Gliders!!! I called the landlord and he said the tenants before us had pets so they must have, just let them go. They were so cute. I re-homed them to a gentleman at work they knew all about them. Odd what people will just "let go".

Looks like a typical Utah/Arizona Kangaroo rat/mouse to me. Not a chipmunk.

...and you are close enough to New Mexico, I would be concerned about Hanta Virus.

It's in their droppings, and when they 'dry' and if you breath it in, it could be deadly.

Back
Top Bottom