Lookin like a coop!

How big should the nest boxes be? If I have 6 hens...2 or 3 ...what 14x14x14?
Edit: I haven't even started on them so help with them would be greatly appreciated !

I made a single community nest box that works well as no one fights to get in a favorite box. It's 36" wide 15" deep in the sitting area and 14" tall. My plans are here. The top is sloped because chickens love to roost on any flat spot they can find.

nbmk3-08.jpg nbmk3-09.jpg

JT

Which one would you prefer for watering the screw in nipples or the screw in cup kind?

Mine like the vertical nipples, they are easier for young ones and have less pressure to move them than the horizontal nipples. It's easy to make the freeze proof and I've tested mine to 0°F. Of course they prefer to drink out of the bird bath usually.

JT

Mine like the vertical nipples, they are easier for young ones and have less pressure to move them than the horizontal nipples. It's easy to make the freeze proof and I've tested mine to 0°F. Of course they prefer to drink out of the bird bath usually.

JT
If you have looked at my pics should I place nest box under the window or on the back wall? Another words should the nest be parallel with pop door or adjacent (side)?

If you have looked at my pics should I place nest box under the window or on the back wall? Another words should the nest be parallel with pop door or adjacent (side)?

For an inside nest box I'd just put a box the length of one wall with an opening to the outside and a skirt around the top then put the roost on top of the nest box with some Sweet PDZ in the upper area if that makes sense. Make it about 14" deep and 14" or so tall and put the roost in the middle so it runs long ways.

JT

For an inside nest box I'd just put a box the length of one wall with an opening to the outside and a skirt around the top then put the roost on top of the nest box with some Sweet PDZ in the upper area if that makes sense. Make it about 14" deep and 14" or so tall and put the roost in the middle so it runs long ways.

JT
Its going to be an external nest box, i figured I would put it under the window on the side that doesnt have hinges on it. that way there would be more room on the inside for roosts to go long ways inside coop>?n Whats sweet pdz?

Back
Top Bottom