Looking for a HIGH production layer that breeds true that isn't a white leghorn.

Why do you want it to be an APA breed, do you plan to show? If so, you'll likely have to put in some work to get a show line up to commercial production standards. Like... a lot of work.

If that isn't your goal... maybe consider legbars. There are production lines that lay almost as well as commercial leghorns. Do quiz the breeders you're considering, though, and make sure they have a stablized line that produces as you would expect. They are very winter hearty in every way aside from their comb. Id recommend dubbing in an environment like yours.
It is a plan/goal for the furture. Might as well start with the proper breed and go for it. I have 5 legbars. I do like them but I wanted a brown or cream or white layer to add to my flock. I was thinking astralorps or orphingtons. I really want a bird who lays 5+ eggs a week but could be used in show.

We hit -54 that week. My one silkie lived inside. My heated and insulated coop still couldn't keep her warm. I will never own another silkie, cute but DUMB and doesn't lay well, continually tries to die. 😂
My Silkies must be anomalies, I swear. They lay all the time when they aren't trying to be mamas. They are laying right now. And aren't particularly dumb.

But Australorps are great birds, IME. And I've heard great things about RIR, too.

How many eggs do you get a week? I have seen everything from 50 eggs a year to 250. THanks!
I honestly have no idea. Mine nest in hidden spots and just appear with a dozen or so babies. But it's definitely more than 50 if you don't let them sit. I would say at least 3 a week, probably more at least the first year or two.

It is a plan/goal for the furture. Might as well start with the proper breed and go for it. I have 5 legbars. I do like them but I wanted a brown or cream or white layer to add to my flock. I was thinking astralorps or orphingtons. I really want a bird who lays 5+ eggs a week but could be used in show.
Nice, both are great breeds! Pretty much any standardbred breed that strikes your fancy should be able to match them in laying, but definitely don't expect production leghorn-like laying from a heavy standardbred dual purpose breed! That's just not realistic. They'll also easily eat double or more than a light breed, but this may not be a concern.

We have 3 at the farm in a large flock. They are very docile and lay a lot. May add one to my home flock this year. @3KillerBs can tell you much more about them if you have questions.

My Blue Australorps reliably lay 5-6 eggs a week, mostly size large -- though young pullets' eggs and winter eggs are smaller. About 1 in 5 goes broody. You can select against that. They're calm, laid-back birds and good flock citizens.

Australorps are reputedly as good at handling cold as they are at handling heat, but I have no experience with that myself. Orpingtons have the reputation of being quite cold-hardy. The only one I had was a Lavender who was masquerading as a Blue Australorp. She fit right in temperamentally.

Why not get a few of each and see how you like them?

The choices have mostly been mentioned, but I will summarize a few of them with comments.

Chantecler - dual purpose with good egg production and selected for cold climates

Australorps - Some lines have excellent egg production

Orpingtons - Around 230 to 260 eggs/year

Rhode Island Red - A good line can do 250 to 300 eggs/year

Wyandottes - 220 to 250 eggs/year, tend to go broody in spring

In the hybrid line, Golden Bovans would be near the top of the list.

Back
Top Bottom