Looking for a male saint bernard

I didnt see any rain, either. The OP is obviously a newbie to dog breeding (and that's not an insult, we were all newbies once, and it's good that Op is asking questions and seems to want to know what they are doing!), and dainerra was just covering some bases to be sure Op knows what they are getting into. You'd be amazed at how many people I know who think it will be a piece of cake to sell a litter of puppies and they wind up with 5 5 month olds left! Anatolian and GP rescue frequently get the last half of a litter turned in because the "breeders" cant sell them.
I'm sure that the OP loves her dog and would like to be sure any puppies she makes are happy and healthy and go to good homes, and dainerra was only bringing up things that can help with that.

Now, to the OP - if you got your girl from a good breeder, you should be able to go back to them and ask their advice. Also, make SURE that your AKC (your dog IS AKC, right?) papers are FULL registration. If they say limited, you will not be able to register the puppies. I realize this may seem like asking someone if the non working appliance is plugged in, but I've seen this mistake made.

Also, you might want to wait another year. Saints are still not mature at 2 yrs old. yes, they can be OFAd, but most are not really physically or mentally mature until later. I wait on my Anatolians till closer to three for this reason.

Not to go off on a rant, but I've never understood the "just a pet" style of breeding. "I don't need titles or all those tests, I just want to give people nice pets"

Aren't pet owners deserving of good dogs? Dogs that are going to live long healthy lives and be good members of the family?

Honestly, I think "just a pet" is the most difficult job a dog can have. No one wants a dog to die before his time or to deal every day with the pain of bad hips. And temperment? "Just a pet" has to know the difference between the mailman and a burglar. Go hiking with Dad on the weekends and jogging with Mom at night. Play ball with Junior and let Sally dress him is silly clothes for a tea party. Be kind and patient when Baby Jane pulls his tail because she doesn't know better.

"Just a pet" is babysitter, exercise partner, protector, confidant and best friend all rolled into one body. I hate to hear people disparage him and deny him the chance to be all that he can be with the proper breeding. I ache when I hear about someone's dog with bad hips. Or some child's pet being put down because someone was bitten. There are so many easy ways to stack the odds in your favor when buying a dog or breeding your own, so why short-change yourself and your future pet??

Quote:
You're right and I am reasonably sure that the AVERAGE JOE wishes they could afford them! We will just have to agree to disagree. I think that your stance on most of it is extreme. If you re-read my post I said HEALTHY pet......
idunno.gif

I have not had her hips tested. I will have this done at age 2 this Jan. She did however have hip limping at a young age. I was given some powder stuff by the vet to put on her food. They said she was growing to big to fast and it should go away. I have not noticed it in a long time. She may still once in a great while getting up to fast or twisting something....not sure why she does. She is very active and healthy and no problems that I know of. I can ask the owner to her sire and dam anything I want to know....but they did not do all that testing stuff either. I do know they say they all our healthy and have all lived long healthy life's. There saints were and are not show dogs. I do still worry about that though. Her parents were not hip tested. My female saints pedigree has lots of CH lines. I have had my saint since she was 8 weeks old. I have been looking and researching ever since.

Oh and her sire and dam temperaments.....the owner said they were great they would not breed mean dogs and I can tell you my girl has an amazing personality and temperament. She would not hurt a flea....however she does get pretty excited. She loves and adores kids and animals.....the birds a little too much lol....still working on that. She has been grounded for the last few days from the back yard and sent me flying into barb wire trying to stop her from chasing a escaped ee hen lol. The hen was running from me too so just as much her fault. She is scared of our chest freezer and the fly swatter lol. We have always taken her everywhere we go. She goes to the feed stores with us, Lowes, and Home Depot. To my in laws to visit she loves it there. They had a nice big fenced yard before we did....which was just recently.

I do want the best for my saint/Symphony and her puppies and I plan to do the things her sire and dam's owner did not. That is the least I can do to start. I know if I have one litter with my saint and there are any problems complications or other, as in finding homes for the puppies it will not happen again. I do have some homes for some and giving one puppy to a dear friend. I do plan on having a contract and if I use a stud I have a contract for the breeding as well.

Symphony is AKC registered and has full limits with no contract from the previous owner.

Here she is....I am sure you may have seen her already on here before though.

53126_symphony09242011.gif

53126_symphony04032011.jpg

53126_symphony03282011.jpg

53126_symfy122010.gif

53126_2symphony08102011.gif

Quote:
I agree. OFA testing is NOT about "show quality". It's about breeding dogs who can have a decent, pain-free life. Hips, elbows, eyes--what dog has a happy life without the ability to move freely and the ability to SEE?!?

JMO

Rusty​

Last edited:
Quote:
You're right and I am reasonably sure that the AVERAGE JOE wishes they could afford them! We will just have to agree to disagree. I think that your stance on most of it is extreme. If you re-read my post I said HEALTHY pet......
idunno.gif

I am an average Joe. Purchase price is only the tip of the iceburg when it comes to pet ownership. A non-tested dog might cost as little as $300 or as much as $900. A fully tested titled dog with a fabulous guarantee $1200. A single hip replavement $2000. A lawsuit for a bite from an unstable dog could cost $100,000 or more.

OP I would actually think twice before breeding your dog. You need to know not just her test results, but her parents and their parents. Even if she has excellent hips, how do you know that she isn't the only one? Genetic issues can't be seen with the naked eye and a dog can have dysplasia and never limp a day in its life. Dysplasia is also one of those tricky things where there are multiple factors involved.

Back
Top Bottom