Looking for a male saint bernard

the problem is, the things that are wrong are things that can't be fixed after the fact. Make a bad decision on a puppy buyer, you can take steps to get the dog back and into a better home. You can step in and help if they lose a job and need someone to take the dog.

What do you do when you get a phone call saying "Just wanted to let you know that this puppy had a grand mal seizure and died right in front of our 8 year old daughter" Or "Just came from the vet. Puppy has bad hips the vet said that it's a genetic problem. You'll be hearing from our attorney about the $6000 needed for the surgery" Or even worse opening the mailbox to find a letter from an attorney that you are being sued because one of the puppies you sold turned out to be aggressive. The owners are going to be losing their home to the medical bills and damages and now, the victim is coming after you as well - they did a quick bit of digging and found out that 2 dogs on the sire's pedigree were actually euthanized for aggression.

These are very real problems and they happen every day. Do they always win? No but more and more states are adopting "lemon laws" for puppies. And if there is anything that could have been done to prevent the health problem, the breeder can be found liable for damages. Even if the breeder comes out victorious, they are out thousands or even tens of thousands in attorney fees.

Just look at each of those cute little faces and imagine the guilt you would feel if a year from now you are watching the vet give them an injection to end their life and the vet saying "It's a genetic problem. If you had done this test, you would have known it could happen"

ETA: it's not about being "perfect" It's about doing whatever you can to make sure that each of your puppies lives a long and happy life and has the chance to be loved by a family of their own.

Last edited:
She doesn't care. She got paid and when problems arise she'll disappear like all the rest of them. I'm done. Thanks D And everyone else that tried to educate but I see now that it's futile. She's not so dense to see what she did is wrong and is going to defend it till the end rather than admit and learn. oh well. it's all about the almighty $.

Wow, what a 'helpful' group of folks. I don't necessarily agree with the way the OP chose to make this mating, but I surely don't agree with the didactic, judgemental, rude 'advice' given by several on this thread. There are ways to help, and their are ways to exhibit lack of tact. Arabianequine, I wish you the best of luck with this litter, and hope that you will conduct all the recommended tests on breeding stock prior to any future litters.

Wow, what a 'helpful' group of folks. I don't necessarily agree with the way the OP chose to make this mating, but I surely don't agree with the didactic, judgemental, rude 'advice' given by several on this thread. There are ways to help, and their are ways to exhibit lack of tact. Arabianequine, I wish you the best of luck with this litter, and hope that you will conduct all the recommended tests on breeding stock prior to any future litters.
Thank you Sourland!

Perhaps it would be best if the OP turn to one of the mentors she stated she has as well as her vet for any advice relating to this and any future litters in lieu of posting on a public forum where she is subjecting herself to opposing opinions. Quite honestly, as dainerra pointed out, what "flack" arabianequine has received here, pales in comparison were she to post on a dog forum. AE has received a lot of excellent advice from folks I would deem "responsible" breeders and, save for perhaps the contract, that advice seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

As someone involved in the foster and rescue of large breed dogs, I cannot and will not get excited over yet another litter of pups that no prep or thought went into other than "I have a female dog I'd like to breed..."

Trust me, I know the response she would have received on a 'dog' forum. I've been raising and competing with one breed for more than 50 years and am fully aware of how 'dog people' can be. Hopefully people here operate at a somewhat 'higher' level.

At some point, these type of threads are not for the original posters. They (the OPs) have done - and are going to do - what they have set their mind to do.

Instead, I think these threads are a very good read for potential puppy-buyers. That they (buyers) learn what type of breeder to buy from. We will never eliminate byb - so, instead we should teach people how to educate themselves on puppy buying.

If people become educated, they will seek the better breeders, and there will be less people buying puppies with unknown health/temperament issues.

Anyway - that's my 2¢ on all this.

I do not personally feel that dominating a person's thread with polarized thinking and dichotomous choices falls under the category of education, nor that the direct, personal insults coming from both sides are educational. I do not feel educated. I would personally suggest starting a new thread containing personal diatribes on breeding.

Wow. First of all, I can't believe I just read this whole thread lol.

As a person who is interested in breeding and showing corgis later on after I graduate nursing school, the OP would get some serious grilling if she posted on a dog/dog breed forum. I have asked questions to breeders that stick their nose up at me and are EXTREMELY rude to me for asking questions. The comments the OP have received on here have been frank advice from experienced breeders/owners not rude. OP, you asked for advice and D especially gave you good advice and was realistic with you on breeding and even gave you advice after they disagreed with the way you bred your b.itch. Did you think that everyone would agree with the way you bred her? I am glad that you took the advice people gave you on here as it could have ended badly for b.itch and pups.
Also, anyone that truly cares for the welfare of the breed or their dog, would go to extensive research to make sure their dog is healthy inside and out, and good quality before breeding. I have a female I wanted to breed but unfortunately, she isn't the right quality. Do I breed her anyway because I love her? NO. Because she would have cute puppies? NO. I could easily find rescue puppies that need homes. I love the girl I wanted to breed but if the tests say that her puppies may have back problems later in life, I would never want a pup to experience that kind of pain ESPECIALLY if I could prevent it. I would never take that chance on not knowing. There is a difference in just breeding and breeding responsibly, and I'm sorry but you were very irresponsible in this situation and if these puppies turn out to have bad characteristics as other people have already stated then that gives you a bad reputation as a breeder and people are not going to want puppies from a bad breeder. Lastly, no good breeder would EVER breed a large sized b.itch at 2 years old. She is too young.

You are right dainerra but I can with this litter and forward. I have said I have done and taken all advice given.
the problem is, the things that are wrong are things that can't be fixed after the fact. Make a bad decision on a puppy buyer, you can take steps to get the dog back and into a better home. You can step in and help if they lose a job and need someone to take the dog.

What do you do when you get a phone call saying "Just wanted to let you know that this puppy had a grand mal seizure and died right in front of our 8 year old daughter" Or "Just came from the vet. Puppy has bad hips the vet said that it's a genetic problem. You'll be hearing from our attorney about the $6000 needed for the surgery" Or even worse opening the mailbox to find a letter from an attorney that you are being sued because one of the puppies you sold turned out to be aggressive. The owners are going to be losing their home to the medical bills and damages and now, the victim is coming after you as well - they did a quick bit of digging and found out that 2 dogs on the sire's pedigree were actually euthanized for aggression.

These are very real problems and they happen every day. Do they always win? No but more and more states are adopting "lemon laws" for puppies. And if there is anything that could have been done to prevent the health problem, the breeder can be found liable for damages. Even if the breeder comes out victorious, they are out thousands or even tens of thousands in attorney fees.

Just look at each of those cute little faces and imagine the guilt you would feel if a year from now you are watching the vet give them an injection to end their life and the vet saying "It's a genetic problem. If you had done this test, you would have known it could happen"

ETA: it's not about being "perfect" It's about doing whatever you can to make sure that each of your puppies lives a long and happy life and has the chance to be loved by a family of their own.

Back
Top Bottom