Looking for plans similar to....

this is a picture looking at the ends of the previous picture. the color codes for the lumber are still the same. have a helper when nailing this together so one of the 4x4's don't cause a knot on your head.

notice the 2x6s extend past the 4x4 post. they run even with the 2x6s running lengthways on the walls.

when assembling this, make sure all 2x6's face the outside of the coop.

ive almost confused myself explaining this LOL. any questions?

Last edited:
this is a top view with the center support installed. the support is non treated 2x6 installed to the run side of the 2x4 uprights. the length of the support should be 45 inches.

at this point you should start squaring your project. if you have a square use it every time you nail. if you don't have a square you can square it by doing the following:

measure from opposite corners (in pic top left - bottom right). make a measurement the opposite way, if they are the same it is square. if they are different, adjust until they are the same. (much more than 1/8th inch difference will cause you problems later.)

Last edited:
at this point im going to stop, for input and questions. if your confused someone else may be too, so don't hesitate to ask.

if you don't have any questions or input, at least let me know your still following this.

Last edited:
jbc mom, the steps for yours are similar, after this one I will walk you through yours if you still need it.

You're awesome! I haven't found anything that I like since I've seen this one!! I know we have enough smarts to do it ourselves! No hurry, we won't be getting our chicks until the end of May.

if you painted what you assembled so far, and looked at it straight on from the side, it should look something like the top picture.

cut 2 pieces of 2x4 45 inches long and 2 pieces 47 inches long. as we are looking at the coop, the 45 inch ones would be on the sides. the 47 inch ones would be on the front and back as marked. keep checking yourself for square as you go.

This is a nice looking coop! We have been looking at designs as well and might have to follow this thread for some help with the building process. My husband has all the tools just no time so the project will become mine. We live in Alaska therefore will require electical for lights and possible heater for those really cold stretches. Have even been making plans to bring my girls indoors on those nights that dip below -15/-20.

mark the factory edge of a sheet of plywood as shown. (it can be a half sheet).

cut a length of 2x4 about 2 feet long. cut (2) 6-8 inch blocks. nail them together on the flat sides to make a marking tool for your truss.

Back
Top Bottom