Looking for plans similar to....

this picture shows how to lay your 2x4 pieces to mark them for your trusses. the board on the bottom should be cut at 47 inches. line it up with the 23 1/2 inch mark and even with the bottom of the plywood. lay the angled board even with the 1 foot mark, aligning with the 23 1/2 inch mark. you should not change the length of the 47 inch

2x4 just the angles on the end. when everything is lined up make the marks as indicated by the black lines in the picture. these are your saw marks. turn the bottom board over (the straight one) and repeat the process to put an angle on both ends.

cut these 2 boards on the lines and use as patterns to mark out 3 47 inch pieces, and 6 of the other piece.

you can use the piece of plywood to help you line everything back up. use a scrap piece of plywood and cut to assemble like in the picture below. (plywood in yellow)

make 3 trusses, on one truss put these "scabs" on both sides. this is the middle truss
on 2 trusses just put them on one side. these are the outside trusses (face the plywood in).

im turning in for the evening.

before I can explain any more, were you using solid wood or plywood for siding?

ok I will work on some more drawings and post them in a while (4 - 5 hours)

any questions so far... I know how to do it, but explaining it is kinda though LOL.
also I have most of the tools around I need, trying to tell you how to lay it out with what is laying around has been a challenge. but it starts going pretty fast from here.

ok I will work on some more drawings and post them in a while (4 - 5 hours)

any questions so far... I know how to do it, but explaining it is kinda though LOL.
also I have most of the tools around I need, trying to tell you how to lay it out with what is laying around has been a challenge. but it starts going pretty fast from here.
nope, no questions! I'm following along pretty well. Once we get around to actually building that might change lol.

ill be around if you need some help feel free to email me.

now we are up to truss installation. the two trusses that only have 1 set of scabs goes on the outside, even with the 2x4 on the top. you can nail it to the 2x4 by nailing at an angle (toenailing) or by making another scab and nailing through it. if you make another scab, put it on the inside. once the two outside trusses are mounted run a string from peak to peak. align the peak of the center truss with this string, 2 foot on center from the end trusses. (on center means the measurement is in the center of the board instead of an edge.)

if it were painted black, it should look something like this. string is still attached in second picture.

now you need your roofing materials, siding, and floor. buy all of this in sheets to suit your taste and budget. this will be pretty dry so I would recommend OSB instead of plywood for the floor. also a good time to pick up parts for your nest box.

roof:
2 sheets osb I would use 5/8 but you can get by with 1/2 to save some cost.
1 roll of tarpaper (10 foot is all that's needed if you can find small rolls.)
3 square of shingles - 2 2/3 for roof, 1/3 for ridge cap.
20 feet of drip edge.

floor:
3/4 exterior grade OSB or plywood. if you want a ceiling, use the other half there. or use it as bottom of flower box.
1 8 foot 2x4 (if you don't have any left over)

siding: 2 sheets of your preference exterior wood siding.
2-3 2x4s for door/window frames.

nest box:
1 sheet siding to match
1 2x4 8 feet long.
2 2x2 8 feet long.

wire for run.
hinges
barrel locks or latches for doors (at least 3 I would use 5 if you have a lot of wild animals)

I may have forgotten something, but I believe this gets all the materials other than paint or stain.

Last edited:
make sure your frame is square. measure from the peak of your roof, add 1 inch. rip a sheet of roofing material lengthways. determine if you want an overhang and add that amount twice. (not more than 4 inches on each side) this is the length of the plywood, mark and cut. making sure to get it straight put it on, I always try to line up the peak.
it should look something like this.

install drip edge on all outside edges.
shingle layout is different for different shingles. the store can offer advice, or look up on line. usually, you put the first one on upside down, lay another over it and stagger all joints.

now on to the nest box.
mark a sheet of plywood as shown.

this nest box will be 18" high at its highest point. and one foot deep.

trim 2 inches off of one divider, this is the middle. (first picture)
using 2x2's frame the bottom of the floor as shown in blue. (last picture)
with 2x2's down nail on the back and outsides.
using 2x2's as needed, install the center divider in the middle; and sure up the outside corners.
cut 2 16" pieces of 2x4 and nail to the sidewalls of the box, on the outside. these will line up with the posts on a 47" side.
a roof will be added after siding.

cut the piece you got for the floor 47"x48" then cut out the notches as shown: (tip set a circular saw to cut deep for cleaner corners)

in pic plywood is 47 inches wide, and 48 inches high.

nail or screw this down good, a coat of paint will slow any rot down.

if your coop is not square, this is the part that will make a preacher cuss. adjust the coop until it fits. trim plywood only if you have to.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom