Looking for plans similar to....

this coop will hold 6 hens or 5 and a rooster. with large breeds like orpingtons you may want to build it larger on the run area. of course this would mess up the directions, but if you made it 6 feet wide and 12 feet long, leaving the flower box off it would work pretty well for you. you could also build it as is and add another 4x8 run beside of it before you put the wire on.
Thank you! We do have orphingtons!

if anyone else wants a coop designed (like I did this one) email me a pic of the coop, and the number of birds you want to put in it. I will do them in the order received. if I get several, I will let you know; if there are a couple who are similar, I will do both in the same thread.

if anyone else wants a coop designed (like I did this one) email me a pic of the coop, and the number of birds you want to put in it. I will do them in the order received. if I get several, I will let you know; if there are a couple who are similar, I will do both in the same thread.
That is very generous of you! The more I look at the coop picture the more I like it. Will definately need to modify it for our birds (Orphingtons) and possibly for our winter conditions (Alaska). I wouldn't put the flower bed on as I'm sure it would rot real fast with snow sitting on it for a long period of time. Could I enclose the bottom run so they could have a more warmer area to move around in the cold winter months and then attach a larger wired run for the warmer, dryer months? I am not the builder, my husband will be, but from what I can tell the coop itself is 4X6, is this correct?
Thanks

the overall measurement is 4x8 of the coop/run. since you are not going to add the flower bed, I would put a 2x4 in the middle of the run area to form a peak and cover it all with wire.

if you are using the 4x8 dimensions, you would put it 2 foot from the front as viewed here. if you decided to go with an 8x8 run, you would just run it against the side of the coop or house part, and extend the middle 2x8 or 4x4 up to match it. I would make it at least 1 foot higher than the low side.

im not familiar with winer in Alaska, but I think if you just covered the run area in plastic in the cold seasons you should be just fine. the angle will make it shed show better too. a perch high up in the peak of a plastic covered run will also help to warm birds.

edited to add: the original picture appears to be a 4x6 coop. I made it 4x8 for extra room for the original poster's silkies. this addition shouldn't cost more than $10, and in my experience the more room the better.

Last edited:
Hey I would like a coop that could hold 10 chickens and has a 10 foot run can you plz help me?? i dont have a pic of a coop... and dont know what kinda coop i want. Also i do have a budget...

Hey I would like a coop that could hold 10 chickens and has a 10 foot run can you plz help me?? i dont have a pic of a coop... and dont know what kinda coop i want. Also i do have a budget...
yes i can help you along, can you get a picture of the area where it will go? are the chickens large fowl or bantam? what kind of budget are you looking at? i know Orlando Florida stays pretty warm, do you get snow or cold winters? also you should probably plan on burying posts, help with high tropical storm winds and such.

if the coop is going to be stationary, and you have standard or large fowl; your coop's basic measurements would be 40 square feet for the coop and 100 square feet for the run.

do you plan on adding more chickens? if so now is the time to add to the coop to accommodate them.

Ok thanks… I want it to be a moveable coop and no I thank, i don't want to add any more chickens. I'm on a budget of $200 - $250, also my chickens are layers which are buff-orfintons, Rhode Island reds, and red sex links. The winters are kinda cold for Florida people so it doesn't have to be snow or blizzard proof... But it has to be rain poof because we get lots of rain. Also because i want it to be like a moveable coop, do I still need to post a pic... We have a HUGE backyard so the coop can be kinda big.

Ok thanks… I want it to be a moveable coop and no I thank, i don't want to add any more chickens. I'm on a budget of $200 - $250, also my chickens are layers which are buff-orfintons, Rhode Island reds, and red sex links. The winters are kinda cold for Florida people so it doesn't have to be snow or blizzard proof... But it has to be rain poof because we get lots of rain. Also because i want it to be like a moveable coop, do I still need to post a pic... We have a HUGE backyard so the coop can be kinda big.

Back
Top Bottom