Looking for plans similar to....

the overall measurement is 4x8 of the coop/run. since you are not going to add the flower bed, I would put a 2x4 in the middle of the run area to form a peak and cover it all with wire.

if you are using the 4x8 dimensions, you would put it 2 foot from the front as viewed here. if you decided to go with an 8x8 run, you would just run it against the side of the coop or house part, and extend the middle 2x8 or 4x4 up to match it. I would make it at least 1 foot higher than the low side.

im not familiar with winer in Alaska, but I think if you just covered the run area in plastic in the cold seasons you should be just fine. the angle will make it shed show better too. a perch high up in the peak of a plastic covered run will also help to warm birds.

edited to add: the original picture appears to be a 4x6 coop. I made it 4x8 for extra room for the original poster's silkies. this addition shouldn't cost more than $10, and in my experience the more room the better.
Thank you! Now to get construction under way!

I will look for a couple of pics when I get back home, we will go from there.

This was a great thread to read through.

Thanks loveourbirds for breaking this down for everyone.

Have the confidence to do it yourself. Even if you have to ask questions along they way. The feeling of accomplishment as you look out to your coop is amazing.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of JenS9's coop build :D

bunnylover would something like this work? this is the most inexpensive complete coop I could come up with. the drawing is crude, I wanted to make it to suit your situation as far as doors and windows. the top pic is a straight on side view, the bottom pic is a top view.

I love it... It looks great!! My only consern is that if they are out free ranging and get scared they might go under the four post that hold the main coop up. What do you think? Also any ideas for nesting and easy access to get the eggs?? Thanks... BunnyLover44

this design blocks them from the run end with wood. on the outside walls I usually put rock under so nothing can get under it easily. I have one here (the first one I built) for a picture. ill take it and post it in a little bit.

edited to add: if it ever quits raining before dark I will get that picture. also this one has an external nest box (shown in blue on the overhead picture). I can change it to internal if you wish.

Last edited:
Hey Loveourbirds... is this coop movable? And also my budget can bend a little.... meaning my coop budget can go to 200-300 dallors instead of 200-250. thanks for hellping me find a coop that looks amazing!!

this coop would be a little large to move, but if you unhooked the run, you could move it. also if you put rock under it, that would make it harder to move.

if you need it to be moveable, we could change it and add wheels. make it more of a tractor.

Back
Top Bottom