Looking for thoughts on Leg issue (w/ pictures)

MrJudeRaw

Chirping
Jul 25, 2023
PNW Willamette region WA
one of my week old coturnix developed a limp. I believe it is due to me putting things that connect to the edge of the brooder so they were scrambling over things with low grip.

The right leg btw (which is shown as your left in these photo's)

20230818_104742.jpg

Bird in hospital cage with one of the smaller but healthy birds for company. this was right after I noticed the issue. I check on the very often so i believe it happened just an hour before when i was changing water containers and startled them.

20230821_195734.jpg

20230821_195715.jpg

These last two are after 24hr in the hospital cage. bird is still singing, eating, drinking, but its just moving a lot less and limps about but can still move quickly in a more normal fashion. I presume at the cost of more dmg but at least it has the function.

20230822_115620.jpg

20230822_115459.jpg

Is it a sprain? a slip/splay because of the surfaces they were stumbling over? I have given some nutri drench as well in case its a deficiency.

Last edited:
It looks to be standing normally. Can you upload a video to YouTube or something and post the link here?
I will have to take a video after work or during a break so within the next 4HR. The quail can stand, walk, eat, drink, poop, and chirp happily when it sees me. It just does so with a small limp and seems a bit lethargic due to spending the extra energy limping

It doesn't sound serious, at least. As long as it's eating, drinking, and pooping normally I would keep an eye on it in case it gets worse. If it's as minor as it seems, it will probably be fine in a few days.

Update: for some reason the bird passed. It seemed to be improving and I observed it eat, poop, drink, and walk around on its own unprompted (meaning it was not prodded and i was across the room).

Vent:
I woke up around 4am to go check on the bird and it was dead. This is after situating it for bed by placing a towel over part of the brooder around 11pm. so in a 5 hour window with temps in the green zone the whole time the bird passed at 13 days old. This is my first bird death so I think i am going to name this one Robert Paulson in death.
This death has taught me a lot about the birds and I won't make the same mistakes twice. First time in a long time I have cried for more than a few moments. I tried very hard. it just kills me that I removed its buddy the day before (was trampling the injured bird tbh) and that it died alone in the middle of the night and I wish I could have known and culled it myself so it wouldnt have to go through that.
Vent over.

The limp didn't cause it's death! Something else was at play here!...what exactly, I really can't say....from the video, it doesn't look that serious of a limp! but birds can hide illnesses and injuries extremely well sometimes.
Sorry to hear of your loss! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom