"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I haven't been here in a while and I apologize that I won't have enough time to catch up on the 600 posts that I've missed. Just wanted to come on and share some photos.

If I leave the patio door open for just a few minutes, they run inside and stake their claim. They would probably come in the house if I let them.

i've been missing for a bit; but, i have a smaller coop now, with run, and a significant other that's very interested in breeding meat rabbits and getting our 3 allowed hens in baton rouge.

along those lines, we've also started a mealworm farm (as treats for Scorpio/bearded dragon and chickens) - and have started seeing beetles this past week. also started a smaller cricket farm, and are growing some mulberries, with an eye towards trying silkworms.

adding to the various minature veggie/fruit/herb/rose gardens/raised beds in our small yard, we're picking up some pallets (and 7 different kinds of strawberry plants) this afternoon, to give vertical gardening a go.

in the works are setting up a 20 gallon aquarium for aquaponics, constructing some, um, grow stands (? - pvc frame with a burlap sack in it, for growing potatoes and such above ground).

still working on getting some food grade plastic barrels to make tiered planters out of (with pvc pipe in the middle for composting via worms and/or bsfl). the compost can we have already is home to quite a few black soldier fly larvae. once we get chickens going, we're planning on making the BSFL operation an organized thing for harvesting (also for the bearded dragon).

sooooooooooooo, having said all that - i may be PMing folks for ideas, help, and livestock. :)

an idea we've been kicking around is, in addition to having a compost pile at the end of the chicken run, with parts of it accessible to the chickens - having a rabbit pen above that compost pile, so the rabbit droppings fall directly onto the compost. is this a good/bad/other idea and does it have drawbacks that we're overlooking in our noobness?

other than roaches (which we MAY start a colony of madagascar hissing roaches, since the girls (human girls, not chickens) seem to love bugs), are there any other insects that would be good and add variety to the diets of chickens, rabbits, and even bearded dragons?

her aunt has some Ameracauna pullets we can have, just have to drive to shreveport and pick them up. and that's about as far as we've gotten in the chicken/rabbit selection process.

oh, and HI EVERYONE! :)

How young is it?

$10.00 or more. Nothing less. Even though it is a rooster, it will benefit the buyer in some kind of way, whether it be breeding or eating. Don't let people fool you when they say, "It's just a rooster". Rooster MY EYE!!!!
smack.gif
I have sold a lot of my roosters for $20.00.
wink.png
I personally do not sell them for less than $15.00. And I have no trouble selling them and I have returning customers.
((Sigh@my Superman)) Evidently he told his peeps that he is working with that I was at my wits end with a couple of these roosters. 2 people jumped at the chance to have them. One has been needing a roo and the other was hoping to get a roo out of her babies and all hers ended up being hens. AND he told them they could have them. I hadn't had the chance to tell him that we should at least get a little something to help out with the feed bill. They are out in the boonies and not getting good reception. They are his friends and he would give the shirt off his back just because he is a nice guy. He is even always taking jars of pickles and bars of soap to people too, LOL! One of the reasons I love him so much. So, now I just have to figure out how to live with these too noisy birds until they all get back from this work trip. Maybe they will send family members to pick them up. Crossing my fingers and looking for earplugs.

So, I must ask. What are you scared of Silkies? My sis is scared to death of Rabbits.

I haven't been here in a while and I apologize that I won't have enough time to catch up on the 600 posts that I've missed. Just wanted to come on and share some photos.

If I leave the patio door open for just a few minutes, they run inside and stake their claim. They would probably come in the house if I let them.

Lovely hens and I love the egg holder!

I dunno if it was this thread...I don't think so lol but imma gonna ask here cuz I trust you'll all laugh at me BUT still be nice and answer! Ok ...can one bring in a Roo just to Stud? Lol I'm not allowed roo's BUT would risk a very short time for fertile eggs...only have 4 hens ans only need say a dozen or so fertile...would a week with a Roo be enough time and would the hens stay fertile for a week of laying even after the Roo is back home?? (in general- lol I know some hens are a bit more selective/prudish lol)

I ask because an older gentleman I know who's been rescuing roo's rescued a stunning ameraucana roo that I'd love EEs from but wasn't sure if there was time (he said he was told the Roo is 3 years old if that matters?)

Last edited:
those are too cute! where did get the tiny diapers?
Well, I've been fighting with the iPhone the past couple of days to get some pictures posted with no success. I don't know why, but I just can't post via mobile anymore. Anyway..... Here are some pics of the goose babies in their little diapers.
smile.png

Here is Boudreaux, watching over HIS baby geese as they sleep!

This is the "small one" I've been calling "it" Danny - I thought he was a boy, but now thinking that he is a she. So, I figured that Danny... that's a unisex name. Anyway, Danny will actually stand or "perch" in my hand! I just put my hand out, and Danny climbs on up and enjoys the view! Good pic of the diaper.

Boudreaux checking out Adam for the first time. He wasn't too sure what to think about at first. (Please excuse the messy house!)

Boudreaux watching over Adam & Danny. He actually ran the cat off! Not that the cat is even the least bit concerned with the geese. He just turns his nose up at them and goes about his business. But, then he is a pretty laid back cat! (Again, excuse the super messy house!)

What you doing, Momma??

This is the Boudreaux. I could never ask for a better dog!! He is VERY protective of his momma, and his boy (my almost 3 year old son), and now apparently his geese!
Cute Cute Cute! I think its time to let my babies out for a little yard time as well. :)
Let the babies play near the gardens today...face to the dirt and scratching like crazy chickens already! Too cute to watch them chase bugs.

Quick question :) I have put my eggie's in the the incubator, in the turner but I have it off. I've heard you wait 3 days to turn them if they were shipped. Do any of you follow this rule? if not how long should I wait before turning it on to let the egg "re-attach".

Back
Top Bottom