"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I have a question for those of you that keep roosters. Do any of you just keep them with your hens at all times? I have never kept a rooster for any length of time. But I really would like to keep the 3 that we have now. The Barred Rock in with the full size hens(because he is my youngests baby and it would break her heart to let him go). And in the Egg Hut I would have the Silkie roo and the Cochin roo in with the littler chickens. I am hoping this will work. Right now everyone seems to be much better behaved actually when they are in their coop than when I let them out to run. We couldn't stop laughing at the little Cochin last night........chasing the biggest hen we have and my daughter singing, "I LIKE big Bu**s, and I cannot lie!" That little guy thinks he is HOT stuff!

Bahahahahaa too funny...sorry it was embarrassing but I'm sure the dinner story for many was awesome lol
Funny story that happened to me yesterday.

So, I get home and I herd the sheep out of the pen into the regular yard because they like getting out of their pen. They don't ever run off. They just go to the neighbor's yard to eat her grass. Undoubtedly the grass that she has tastes better than what I have. :/ Well, they are out eating grass and I am out watching them. So they decide to cross the street into another wooded area to eat grass. They NEVER cross the street. So, I run towards them because I see cars coming down the 1 mile road. I get the adults across back in the yard and the 3 little male lamb are still across the street. The 2 bottle fed babies are at my heels as always. So, the cars are slowing down and coming to a stop when they see me and the animals. So, I'm trying to herd the 3 male lamb back into the yard . Well, one of them had a different plan on what he wanted to do. He decides to put on a SHOW for the waiting car guests. He decides to jump on and breed his brother. So as he is doing "breeding motions" and gyrating his hips on his brother's back side, the people in the cars are still waiting. So, I am so embarrassed at what he is doing, I rush him to get out of the street. He decides to take his time in trying to breed with his brother. So, he and his brother walk a few steps before they stop and start the "peep show" again. So the gyrating of the hips and breeding starts again. By this time, I'm sure my face is beet red from being not only embarrassed but mortified at what everyone is seeing. I was so ashamed, I couldn't even look back to look at the people that were in the cars. I'm sure they were laughing at this "free peep show" that was being put on by my lamb and thinking that it "WAS CUTE" but it WAS NOT CUTE. :mad: So, after 5 minutes of the stopping and starting breeding sessions, they FINALLY run back into the yard. I couldn't even look back to tell the cars thanks for stopping and waiting because I didn't want to see the looks on their faces. I WAS SO EMBARRASSED!!! Why me? :/

I'm sure it was. :)

I have a question for those of you that keep roosters.  Do any of you just keep them with your hens at all times?  I have never kept a rooster for any length of time.  But I really would like to keep the 3 that we have now.  The Barred Rock in with the full size hens(because he is my youngests baby and it would break her heart to let him go).  And in the Egg Hut I would have the Silkie roo and the Cochin roo in with the littler chickens.  I am hoping this will work.  Right now everyone seems to be much better behaved actually when they are in their coop than when I let them out to run.  We couldn't stop laughing at the little Cochin last night........chasing the biggest hen we have and my daughter singing, "I LIKE big Bu**s, and I cannot lie!"  That little guy thinks he is HOT stuff!

I always keep my roosters with my hens.

I have been missing for a bit, too... that thing called life gets in the way, I suppose. I lost another furbaby a couple weeks ago. That makes 2 dogs I had to say goodbye to in just over 6 months. :(

With everything going on, I finally had enough with trying to get my condo ready to sell and decided to just put it on the market a couple days ago. I actually have someone coming to take a look tomorrow. Fingers crossed, the sooner I move, the sooner I can get me some fuzz butts! :)

Hinton, if you can find you some dubia roaches, they make better feeders than hissers - less shell, more meat... and they don't climb (big plus). If you have trouble finding any, let me know. I know where I might be able to get some. I also plan on starting a BSFL colony once I move. Best nutritionally sound feeder insect I've found so far. The silkworms would be a plus, too!

This is a great set-up for harvesting BSFL. I will probably try this, but on a smaller scale. He has a few other interesting videos, including some on rabbits.

i've been missing for a bit; but, i have a smaller coop now, with run, and a significant other that's very interested in breeding meat rabbits and getting our 3 allowed hens in baton rouge.

along those lines, we've also started a mealworm farm (as treats for Scorpio/bearded dragon and chickens) - and have started seeing beetles this past week. also started a smaller cricket farm, and are growing some mulberries, with an eye towards trying silkworms.

adding to the various minature veggie/fruit/herb/rose gardens/raised beds in our small yard, we're picking up some pallets (and 7 different kinds of strawberry plants) this afternoon, to give vertical gardening a go.

in the works are setting up a 20 gallon aquarium for aquaponics, constructing some, um, grow stands (? - pvc frame with a burlap sack in it, for growing potatoes and such above ground).

still working on getting some food grade plastic barrels to make tiered planters out of (with pvc pipe in the middle for composting via worms and/or bsfl). the compost can we have already is home to quite a few black soldier fly larvae. once we get chickens going, we're planning on making the BSFL operation an organized thing for harvesting (also for the bearded dragon).

sooooooooooooo, having said all that - i may be PMing folks for ideas, help, and livestock. :)

an idea we've been kicking around is, in addition to having a compost pile at the end of the chicken run, with parts of it accessible to the chickens - having a rabbit pen above that compost pile, so the rabbit droppings fall directly onto the compost. is this a good/bad/other idea and does it have drawbacks that we're overlooking in our noobness?

other than roaches (which we MAY start a colony of madagascar hissing roaches, since the girls (human girls, not chickens) seem to love bugs), are there any other insects that would be good and add variety to the diets of chickens, rabbits, and even bearded dragons?

her aunt has some Ameracauna pullets we can have, just have to drive to shreveport and pick them up. and that's about as far as we've gotten in the chicken/rabbit selection process.

oh, and HI EVERYONE! :)

I have been missing for a bit, too... that thing called life gets in the way, I suppose. I lost another furbaby a couple weeks ago. That makes 2 dogs I had to say goodbye to in just over 6 months. :(

With everything going on, I finally had enough with trying to get my condo ready to sell and decided to just put it on the market a couple days ago. I actually have someone coming to take a look tomorrow. Fingers crossed, the sooner I move, the sooner I can get me some fuzz butts! :)
I hear you. I was MIA for a while. We had a showing today, another tomorrow at 10, and an open house on Sunday. And I share a bedroom with my brother, who is almost as bad at cleaning things as I used to be. (Now i'm a neat freak) I'll pray for your sale too. I'm sorry about your dog.

MIA here too! the lavendar Ams finally started laying - found a tiny blue egg this morning! So today I'll merge them in w/my big flock -- whoo-hoo!!!! just two flocks to feed now! the peas & the chickens! Altho I still want to reduce my flock. I swear, I must have some of the oldest chickens around -- some of my hens are knocking on the "eight year old" door now! they rarely lay but the old girls have earned their retirement & I have plenty of young layers keeping the pace up.

Well, it's "spa day" for my dogs - time to get out the grooming table, clippers and shampoo! Have a good one everybody!
frow.gif

Good morning all. Gonna be a great day. I plan to stay in bed as long as I can or until someone comes over. Terri, im in the same boat as you. I will be thinning my guinea flock to ZERO. I want them all gone. Like they, "The last hired, the first fired". I will process all of them for the freezer. Really no use for them. I've sold a bunch of eggs and all of the keets. They really aren't a bad bunch but they are traveling down the road on furlough and im scared they will get hit by a car. So before I lose them to traffic, I will have guinea gumbo. Looking forward to that. I have met 2 very nice people who have chicken pluckers and have offered to let me borrow theirs whenever I need to process birds. Thank goodness! !!!

Will be moving the baby chicks to a grow out pen today. The ducklings are growing. Now that I have access to a plucker, I have decided to let the scovys set and hatch. All of the drakes are freezer bound.

Stay cool all!

Back
Top Bottom