"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Checking in from Leesville. I have my coop built and am picking up four hens tomorrow. They are Barred Rock. Two are 2 years old and two are 4 moths old. I am on a forum for my other hobbies (motorcycles, Home Theater, Computers) figured this place will be a good wealth of knowledge.

Sean O
welcome-byc.gif
A great place to be. I had been on the forum for 7 months before I got my chickens and researched a LOT. Best thing I learned on here was the threads on fermenting feed. Saves money and so good for you chicks. Keep in touch. Linda

So, my two new girls from BOGJOHN started laying 2 weeks in, and now I have hatched my first ORP/MARAN baby!  She is so sweet and is 2 days old... pink lil toesies!
My new Maran Rooster is an attacking type, so yeah, dont come over and turn your back on him.... EVER!
So, that makes
3 Austrolorp, 1 Leghorn, 3 EE, 2 BUFF ORPS, and 1 Red Sex Link hens....  one Sebright Bantam Hen as well
THEN
One Maran Rooster, One EE Rooster, One black Leghorn Rooster
THEN  
13 mixed breed hens grown and 7 of those laying, and one mixed breed rooster grown, SOLD, and awaiting new owner.
THEN
7 newly hatched chicks in brooder,
AND
Sebright Bantam has her 10 chicks she hatched in the insulation of our house running around who the EE Roo is the father of...
THEN
Half EE Half Sebright hen has 8 under her that should be ready to hatch soon....
OH
and 54 in the incubator...WHEW!!!   165 more to go...
:barnie      :barnie
Oh, and the new dog BUCKY is off the run and foxes have LEFT THE BUILDING!!!!

So glad you're back!! You surely have been busy. Looking pretty fertile over there. Glad things are going well at your house. Big Hugs.

HEY EVERYBODY! Did ya miss me? Sorry, been a trying couple weeks, I FINALLY caught up tho... sent some PM's to respond to things I thought I could help on.
KUNTRY: hang on babe, I will mail more soon. Haven't been to town for a paper in 2 weeks. SO SORRY!

HELLO AND WELCOME ALL THE NEWBIES! So glad your here...as I have said on many facebook pages, you wont ever find such a good clump of awesome Louisiana Chicken Raising advice as you will from this wacky group we have here! Some of the best people I know...

YES, mosquitos will affect your chickens, horrible. Fowl Pox is spread by them, and kill a lot, though the ones who live have an immunity from then on as well as give a little of such immunity to their chicks... which is great. If you start to see ANY wart like lumps in a greyish color on combs, legs, ears or eyes, you CAN separate them from the others since pecking those spots causes oozing and oozing causes contagion. OR, you can let it run it's course... I highly recommend a well aired out coop with as much sunlight INSIDE it as possible, as well as fly paper l;ining the ceiling of your coop where they sleep. If possible, burn a anti mosquito candle under your coop, if it is raised, each night. Message me quick if you see these lumps for some quickie advice if needed.

Boar killing/ I am assuming we are talking about wild hogs? We kill them each year, it is the processing that will keep the smell out. Gut, skin, de foot and head, cut into legs, humps, and chest pieces then put into an ice chest. Cover with salt, a lot of salt. Then cover with ice. Each day, drain out water and re-salt and re-ice.... every day for 6 days. On the 7th day cut as preferred and freeze. All offensive odors gone....

Love the pics and ideas about coops!

Love the pics of new babies even more!

Hey Sweetie, glad you're back. The info on the boar processing is really going to come in handy for me. Heh heh.
The mosquitos are going to carry me off, no telling what it's going to do to my babies. Rain was scary last night but power kept going on and off. Didn't last long. But all weekend we'll be in the thick of it.
Jennifer, guess what? I bought an incubator. Yea!!!!! I bought it from Flemings $136 shipped THEN found it on Amazon Prime for $118. Ain't that the way.......
Congrats on all your hatching. Looking good!!!
wee.gif

I have no idea how long she has been in there. I never see any quail in my back yard. She has banked up the shavings to hide better. I
had been putting things on the shelf, trying to lump all my stuff together better, to sell, donate, or trash. I am surprised she didn't fly away. Will be upping junk in a different spot. I will me be touching anything over her head. She should be gone by the time I leave. 21-23 days to hatch. It is going to be a fall for the peeps. I have only seen nests on the ground.

It is amazing. You can see the work she has done since I found her.

Checking in from Leesville. I have my coop built and am picking up four hens tomorrow. They are Barred Rock. Two are 2 years old and two are 4 moths old. I am on a forum for my other hobbies (motorcycles, Home Theater, Computers) figured this place will be a good wealth of knowledge.
welcome-byc.gif
There are quite a few of us in your general area and growing in numbers everyday! Can't tell from your name, male or female? This is truly a hen house but we have one or two guys on here as well. All are welcome! We are all a little off in some way...but that is the state way now isn't it. Be forewarned... Lack of coffee, medication, wine, ammo, or fire can make for a ton of pages to catch up on if you miss a day! There is no going off topic on this thread unlike the others. Quite frankly if we ever had a topic we have all forgot what it was by now. Bugglesmommy has some really great pure polish in several colors near you if you are interested. Some of my birds come from her and they are great! One of the user names has two people posting on it. Sometimes it may seem like they already posted the same thing and sometimes it can seem like it is a bi-polar person. Ron skekel posts with no name after the post. His wife will end the post in Pam so you know when it is her. Pam does most of the posting. Really confused me when I started on this thread until they explained it. If you haven't heard of chicken math then look it up and start building your expansion to your coop now because it comes quickly and without warning. There are no stupid questions, we have all asked and answered them all before. Just ask away as they come up. Because of our humidity I suggest you look into sand bedding for your coop. Sand reduces moisture and thus the bugs. Look into the fermented feed for meat birds thread. There are great people over there with a wealth of knowledge and cost saving tips. After you go over there you will see a poster by the name of Beekissed. Listen to her she is like the expert on the entire site for raising a healthy flock and untraditional methods.

welcome-byc.gif
There are quite a few of us in your general area and growing in numbers everyday! Can't tell from your name, male or female? This is truly a hen house but we have one or two guys on here as well. All are welcome! We are all a little off in some way...but that is the state way now isn't it. Be forewarned... Lack of coffee, medication, wine, ammo, or fire can make for a ton of pages to catch up on if you miss a day! There is no going off topic on this thread unlike the others. Quite frankly if we ever had a topic we have all forgot what it was by now. Bugglesmommy has some really great pure polish in several colors near you if you are interested. Some of my birds come from her and they are great! One of the user names has two people posting on it. Sometimes it may seem like they already posted the same thing and sometimes it can seem like it is a bi-polar person. Ron skekel posts with no name after the post. His wife will end the post in Pam so you know when it is her. Pam does most of the posting. Really confused me when I started on this thread until they explained it. If you haven't heard of chicken math then look it up and start building your expansion to your coop now because it comes quickly and without warning. There are no stupid questions, we have all asked and answered them all before. Just ask away as they come up. Because of our humidity I suggest you look into sand bedding for your coop. Sand reduces moisture and thus the bugs. Look into the fermented feed for meat birds thread. There are great people over there with a wealth of knowledge and cost saving tips. After you go over there you will see a poster by the name of Beekissed. Listen to her she is like the expert on the entire site for raising a healthy flock and untraditional methods.

Hear, hear. I found Bee my first day on the forum and never looked back. Amazing woman. Raising chickens almost 40 yrs and is so interesting.
thumbsup.gif

welcome-byc.gif

WOW could not have said it better myself!

Back
Top Bottom