"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I hear ya Brother.

My son down east bank Plaquemines has a working Jack Russell and a working Patterdale.  I love these two lil dogs like crazy. (I think as we get older we get softer).  It's weird because when I go over to my son's house, they both come up to me and love on me.  My son and grandson are amazed because they don't do that with anyone else!  And, I'm lovin every minute of it.

The issue is;  If either one of these little maniacs ever got in with the chickens, they would kill every one within seconds.  I don't think most people have an idea how fast dogs can kill every bird in sight!  But, anyway, as a young man I would have had zero patience with a stock killer dog.  Now, I wouldn't raise a hand to either one of these great little maniacs!  It would most assuredly be OUR FAULT if they got to the birds.  I guess it's kinda like the Paw Paw syndrome!!  Grandkids and favorite dogs get away with more. 

I'm glad you're keeping your dog!  My son's wouldn't believe for one second that I'd take this view. 

I guess I am lucky Buck never killed for sport he always ate them then would leave them alone. He caught a woodpecker in mid flight. Them he's my second dog to catch a squirrel he ate that too head to tail. :sick Pam

Pam these are my two niederrheiners. Do you think I have a pair or two roos?

Nope take a goo look at those pea combs. Good photo of the combs. Which do you think is the roo? I'll tell you if you get it wrong. :pop As for your theory that the first hatch is always a roo not in my hatch my splash is a pullet. Pam

I know it does. It's a bad blow to have to deal with how long before you can have chickens? When ever that is I will help you out as I've said before. Not only is it hard emotionally it's expensive. Sorry you had to go though this. It's a reminder to all of us to be vigilant about there health. FYI for everyone asking about that first aid kit diatimaious earth will keep them form
getting lice and kill any that comes into contact with them. Get food grade put it where they take a dust bath. Pam

Thank you for the offer Mrs Pam. I haven't decided what direction I'm going in yet.....may just get some good layers amd be done with it lol. I decontaminated with 10:1 bleach solution and limed the whole run yesterday now have to wait a month before putting anything back in there. Good tip about the DE, I've never really looked into using it. The vet said Mycoplasma doesn't live very long outside of the bird, maybe a day or two........just wants to err on the side of caution and wait a month.

Pam these are my two niederrheiners. Do you think I have a pair or two roos?

Nope take a goo look at those pea combs. Good photo of the combs. Which do you think is the roo? I'll tell you if you get it wrong. :pop As for your theory that the first hatch is always a roo not in my hatch my splash is a pullet. Pam

I remembered you saying the pullets are darker, but I didn't think either of them were as dark as yours. Their combs look the same to me. :oops: If they aren't both roos, then the one on the left is the roo.

I've been letting my hona flock out in the yard. They're doing great! My hen laid an egg two days ago so I think she's finally done being broody. She was an excellent mother, and the roo was an excellent father. He was very involved with tending the chicks. :love

There are EEs mixed in there too.

What do y'all think? I have noticed a few feathers around just in their coop and around the roosting area. Then yesterday I realized my EE is missing a few feathers around the tail area. Do they sometimes shed feathers when it starts to warm up? I notice her and the Black Australorp seem to be working out the pecking order so I am not sure if it is from that. The first pic is 2 weeks ago the second pic is yesterday.

They are 16 weeks old and I noticed their combs turning red...So I am hoping that means I'll be getting eggs in the next month or so!!!!!

Last edited:
What do y'all think? I have noticed a few feathers around just in their coop and around the roosting area. Then yesterday I realized my EE is missing a few feathers around the tail area. Do they sometimes shed feathers when it starts to warm up? I notice her and the Black Australorp seem to be working out the pecking order so I am not sure if it is from that. The first pic is 2 weeks ago the second pic is yesterday. They are 16 weeks old and I noticed their combs turning red...So I am hoping that means I'll be getting eggs in the next month or so!!!!!
They look so great!! :love My EEs look like that when they're overbred. Maybe a little picking is going on.

They look so great!!
love.gif
My EEs look like that when they're overbred. Maybe a little picking is going on.

Thanks!! I am thinking of changing her name from Nugget to Crazy Eyes though, she is the first one to come running for a treat but she is also usually the one to do the picking I noticed that in the last week Girta the autralorp hangs back a lot when I am giving them something out of my hand because Nugget runs her off. I am really enjoying them so much! Who would have thought I'd be so attached to my chickens (Or what were supposed to be my husband's
lau.gif
) They each have their little own personality!

Yes, i am still alive, i dropped in today to share some information on legbar breeds, The APA has recently acceted and established standards for Sport Whites and Creole Crested Legbars, as some of you know, i have been expermenting with what once was known as Safire cross,my avatar is an example of those, my first, in recent months i have been hatching her eggs from the Crested Cream i got from Pam, i have maybe 30+ of these chicks, some are now3months old, the F1lays a pale blue egg just larger than the Cream, with the original cross being CCL x WL this line lay 6/7 eggs a week like WL. The APA SOP is the same as for others except they must be all white with white/blue ear lobes.

Back
Top Bottom