"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Quote:
I know what you mean. I'm literally seconds from rounding up the blankets and comforters for all of the animals but I know that my neighbors would definitely call me the Krazy Chicken Lady. It will be 27 degrees on tomorrow night. We will have to get more fire wood for the animals. I have heat lamps out in all of the coops right now but I must admit that I get up a couple of times throughout the night to make sure that the bulbs have not blown out and that no other technical difficulties have happened throughout the night. I was up at midnight and 3am this morning checking on everyone.
hide.gif

Oh, I also brought my Cornish girls inside under the garage and plugged the heater up for them. They are almost 4 years old. They were literally stretched out on their comforter alongside my 7 stray cats when I checked on them this morning.

Quote:
Yep, I hear ya!! It's hard enough for our chickens in Louisiana to acclimate theirselves to the hot/cold/hot/cold that I just can't see doing any more damage to them!!

You should have seen mine when I got home yesterday. It was 38 degrees, pouring down raining and they were soaking wet and they could have cared less about the cold!!!
idunno.gif
Crazy chickens!!
yippiechickie.gif

I feel for that family and their loss. I guess that's why I check on my chickens throughout the night when I have the heat lamps on but I know that things can happen at any time.

Yea, my chickens are the same way. I think that I'm more worried about the weather than the chickens. They could care less.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!!

We live in California at the present time, but my DH is from Lake Charles. We are tired of the high cost of living here in Sacramento, and we are considering moving to Louisiana and staying there. Soooo I thought this would be a good place to get started with chicken questions pertaining to Louisiana.

Has anyone ever had trouble bringing their birds across state lines, i.e., could I bring my birds with me, or would I have to rehome this flock and get new ones when I get there?

Also, is there anyone here in/around Lake Charles, Jennings, Lafayette, anywhere in/around Calcasieu Parish? (Hope I spelled that right.) We hope to find other fellow "chickeneers" in the area, should we decide to move out that way. Also, should the need arise to get new birds when we get out there, we are hoping to find people in the area with birds for sale that can help us get started with a new flock.

We lived there years ago in a suburb of Baton Rouge and were also in New Roads for a while. I completely LOVED New Roads.

We have not decided for sure if moving back to Louisiana is what we want to do. Neither one of us really likes it there very much, but we have a whole lot of family there and really miss the people we love. We're not getting any younger, so we're trying to figure out what we wanna be when we grow up. After all, in less than 2 years, I'm gunna be 50.

I put extra shavings out in the coops and have a brooder lamp hung from the ceiling of the carport over the cat beds (for the outside "barn" cats). Putting out extra feed when I go home for lunch so they have plenty of time to tank up before it gets dark. Putting out as many extra greens as I can lay hands on, too. We topped off the vehicles and filled up the gas tanks yesterday in case the power fails & we have to pull out the generators. Extra tank of butane for the greenhouse. I think we're ready for whatever comes.

Hey if you want a good way to warm up, go chase a loose chicken! I was just freezing here at work all morning long, then went home & "Little Bit" (has to have banty in her somewhere) was out- again. She can fly like a dove & I keep forgetting to wing clip her. Three times around the entire coop/run/peacock run and across the backyard a couple of laps (she knows the routine by now; when she sees me coming w/the net she starts running) - hey by the time I went back in the house I was downright hot!

O and we also have tarps for wind breaks across the north sides of the runs. Big blue tarps secured with zip ties. Works great!

Welcome tandc9 and HHandbasket. Don't know about your questions - might check the LSU Ag center website & see if they know about crossing state lines. We're in central La.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom