"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Quote:
Ok, I will. Just wanted to post a pic of how the mosquitoes affected some of my chickens on last year. I don't want the same thing to happen this year. I feel so bad for my chickens. I have open/air coops because of the warm pics in Louisiana but i can't stand mosquitoes. Avian pox does not look nice.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/6612_avian_pox.jpg

Have you ever vaccinated for fowl pox? I haven't yet but I'm considering it.

Quote:
Ok, I will. Just wanted to post a pic of how the mosquitoes affected some of my chickens on last year. I don't want the same thing to happen this year. I feel so bad for my chickens. I have open/air coops because of the warm pics in Louisiana but i can't stand mosquitoes. Avian pox does not look nice.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/6612_avian_pox.jpg

I haven't yet but I will. I will be ready this year. From what I heard, once they get it, they can't get it again. But I will still vaccinate. I dont like to see my chickens looking like that.
somad.gif

Quote:

I haven't yet but I will. I will be ready this year. From what I heard, once they get it, they can't get it again. But I will still vaccinate. I dont like to see my chickens looking like that.
somad.gif

That's just crazy!!

Ya'll are such good teachers,. I knew about fowl pox,. but did not know there are wet and dry. I have seen it before on my Grandmother's chickens just like in kuntrygirl's photo.

Our coop is only 6x8 but the whole ceiling is open to the covered run,. super ventilation,. but it's not going to be easy to screen,.. I have seen screened coop before and the screen with dust so thick it was no longer letting air pass,. so we are thinking it's going to be high maintenance and have to plan to keep the screen clear,. easier to do on a window,. but I can't be hosing the screen ceiling out too much. I've read about so many mosquito controls and none but the most expensive or dangerous( chemicals) really seem to work,. I throw dunks out in the low areas,. but lets face it,. we will never be rid of them,.. I think a box fan is a good idea bayouchica,.. We are going to Lowes this evening to look at the best screen for the job and I may pick one up.

Screening in your place Julie would be a major undertaking,..have you screened in any of it before?

The man at the hardware store told DD that "ya have to be careful that the Skeeters don't suck your chicken's eye's out"
roll.png

thanks Dude,. that's just what my daughter needed to hear
gig.gif

Quote:
I didn't think about the clogs of dust on the screen. That will be a nightmare to clean. Glad that you pointed that out.
hmm.png
I haven't screened any of it before. All of the coops are open/air coops with chicken wire on them (no screen). And yes it will be a major undertaking being as though I have about 11 medium to large coops to screen. Mosquitoes are a never ending battle.
sad.png

Were you raised to say "Yes Ma'am", "No Ma'am", "Yes Sir", "No Sir"?

Just a thought that came to mind. Were you raised to address people using the terms above? Well, I was. I addressed my parents, aunts, uncles, grandmother/grandfather, teachers, elders, etc. Do you teach your kids to use those terms? If our parents called our names, we always said, "Ma'am"? or "Sir"? We never said, "What" or "Huh". I notice that some kids don't use these terms too much these days. It's so refreshing to hear children addressing their parents, teachers, elders, etc. using these words. To me it shows respect.

What are your opinions about this?

The only people that I hear use these words are people who live in Louisiana. Is it just me or other parts of the US don't use these words?
idunno.gif

Thanks for posting about the wet & dry pox -- I didn't know there were 2 kinds either. We also have a bayou close by & mosquitoes, but we have kept them pretty much under control by using a fogger. We've been using one for years, ever since back when we had horses. There are relatively safe products out there that do work. I like the Bonide products -- Lowe's is carrying some of them now:
http://www.bonideproducts.com/products/category.php?category_id=4&page=1&per=6

I also sprinkle my "special mix" around the perimeter of the house, the dog yards, the poultry runs where they dust bathe, & inside the coop.
It's 1/3 sevin dust, 1/3 boric acid powder, 1/3 DE (diatomaceous earth). It kills all soft bodied insects, so you don't get fleas, roaches, spiders, things like that. You do have to re-apply it after a rain storm. I've been doing this for years now & I don't have fleas even with 3 dogs and 3 cats & Lord only knows how many squirrels & possums & armadillos & etc. running around -- a couple years ago, my aunt who lives across the highway & has zero animals had to have exterminators come spray her trailer for fleas, they were that bad. He said it was because she was feeding the squirrels. I don't treat my dogs for fleas, just heartworms (Interceptor).

For spiders - lemon Pledge. They can't stand sticky stuff on their feet nor the smell of citrus. If you spray it around your window and door sills weekly, you wont' see nasty spiders. I was bitten by a brown recluse & still have the scar years later & I despise spiders!

Most of the younger people in Wisconsin (where Jim's from) are polite, but they are mostly family & I know were raised that way. I know in our house you had better be nice -- or else! when we were all growing up.

I saw a fan in Walmart last year that ran on batteries; planning on buying a couple of those for the outside animals this year. I need to get another little swimming pool too - Dollar General had them cheap last year & they all liked playing in the water when it was hot.

Back
Top Bottom