Low/short run? Photos or thoughts?

Hazelandtoads

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2017
Currently have about 26-30 chickens that night coop and free-range after we dismantled their run to move coop to new location.

I need to add a run to keep them contained during times of high predator sightings or when we are on vacation. I'm considering a short run with an opening top. Anyone have this set-up? I'm looking at about 200 square feet, plus their coop which is roughly 60 square feet.

Thanks for your help!

Currently have about 26-30 chickens that night coop and free-range after we dismantled their run to move coop to new location.

I need to add a run to keep them contained during times of high predator sightings or when we are on vacation. I'm considering a short run with an opening top. Anyone have this set-up? I'm looking at about 200 square feet, plus their coop which is roughly 60 square feet.

Thanks for your help!

Sounds pretty cramped in the coop and the new run. Try and shoot for 300 square feet of run.

Add your location to your profile, it makes a difference on the answers you get (Nome and Miami get different weather).

JT

Maybe design a modular setup...kinda like Joel Salatins tractors but smaller and like legos. Otherwise the inability to get in there would make you nuts.

Yes, never get a run that is not a walk-in! I made a mistake and got one that is 4' tall, and it's a nightmare! I have a heck of a time getting on my hands and knees to get in there, and to catch chickens is a two person job. One person to "herd" them into a corner with a wooden dowel, and the other to try to grab them while kneeling at the door. I will never do that again! It's walk-in from now on! Unfortunately, we spent a lot reinforcing this pre-made run, and can't see doing it all over again.

Yes, never get a run that is not a walk-in! I made a mistake and got one that is 4' tall, and it's a nightmare! I have a heck of a time getting on my hands and knees to get in there, and to catch chickens is a two person job. One person to "herd" them into a corner with a wooden dowel, and the other to try to grab them while kneeling at the door. I will never do that again! It's walk-in from now on! Unfortunately, we spent a lot reinforcing this pre-made run, and can't see doing it all over again.

Build some 2' tall walls and put the 4' tall run on top of that... 6' tall run.

JT

Back
Top Bottom