Made my first Chicken Sweater Tonight... Photos and my free pattern

Just tried putting the sweaters on a couple of our hens. They were confused how to walk with them on and stumbled around. I ended up taking them off before they hurt themselves. Anyone else have a similar problem? I have ten warm sweaters waiting to be worn.

If they are too tight, the chickens will stumble a bit and feel funky. I had to stretch mine out a bit to make it more comfortable for them. Try that and see if it doesn't help. :)

For all of those who have made these sweaters, I have a question.
I have never knitted before in my life. Do you think I would be able to make one or two of these sweaters? Are there any tips or things I need to know? I just want my poor little chickens to be warm. We had a winter storm yesterday that brought tons of snow. Tonight is supposed to be freezing and tomorrow is going to be -10! I need sweaters pronto! Haha.
smile.png

I did mine in crochet. And the original posters recipe is crochet. Crochet is pretty easy to do. And this sweater only has one or two types of stitches. I highly recommend you go on youtube and search for crochet stitches. There are some really good tutorials on crocheting on youtube. And remember, it is all very forgiving. If you can't figure out a stitch, and have to wing it, no one will really know. All crocheting is, is a bunch of knots.

Good luck with your sweater making!
smile.png

Last edited:
Just tried putting the sweaters on a couple of our hens. They were confused how to walk with them on and stumbled around. I ended up taking them off before they hurt themselves. Anyone else have a similar problem? I have ten warm sweaters waiting to be worn.
i got mine on her she did a 2 step dance, 2 steps forward 2 steps back, 2 steps forward 2 steps back then shack and off it came we laughed, she looked so funny doing the dance, but i think now that i look at it the wing hole is to big.

mamakat,f do you want me to mail this one back to you, maybe can fix it,
it looks like the wing hole is big and she got her foot in the velcrow and opened it. i think that is how she got it off, but it was fun watching her do the 2 step and shack and off it came, i think it took her less then 15 mins to get it off, but i was wondering something, if it getts wet will she get sick from haven the wet coat on? we don't let them out in bad weather and this weather we are haven now they are kept in, but if out and we go somewhere it rains what then.

I realize this is an old thread, but I was wondering about using sweaters to retain warmth. Could this possibly be counter productive in a feathered bird? Birds generally fluff their feathers to insulate themselves, and a sweater would likely interfere with this.

I ask because I was considering crocheting up some sweaters for my flock of four.

be careful I put an extra letter on my rooster he ended up chewing it off swallowing part of it it wrapped around his tongue I managed to get it out and salvaged his tongue then a portion of the string wrapped around his neck lacerating his neck so be very careful mind couldn't tolerate it I nearly killed my rooster

I would recommend against it. My wife also made some chicken sweaters for our girls and I would not allow her to deploy them. First, it was very cold and wet. Very bad idea. Sweaters would retain the water and turn the girls into frozen nuggets. Second, you are correct. They fluff their down to trap little air pockets which warm from their body heat so they are good to go in the cold.

Might want to get a light for warmth. I hear Christmas lights are good but have not tried that. Does not get too cold here in Austin, TX.

I will say the Chicken rescue group she donated the sweaters to really appreciated it. They use them for the birds that do not have feathers for one reason or another.....

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom