Made my own duck diaper *directions added*

Pics

jdywntr

Songster
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Somerville, AL
Well, yesterday I brought home a rescue duckling. Its suppossed to be 3 weeks old and I think muscovy and I am now refering to it as a her so that hopefully its a girl. She is too small to go outside with my others. She is the friendliest little thing. One of my dogs is in love with her though she likes to pull his ears.
My problem was all of the little poopies. I don't know if I will keep her inside (DH is not aware of this possibility yet
smile.png
) or how long I'll keep her inside. So, I decided to try to make her a diaper. My sewing skills are not great so I used a kids ankle sock and a shoe string.

What do you think?
43796_hmm2_003.jpg

43796_hmm2_002.jpg

Theres a bit of diaper in the bottom.

Here's another for good measure
big_smile.png

43796_hmm_duck_003.jpg

And finally the dog who loves her.

43796_hmm2_001.jpg

Last edited:
Okay. Here are the "instructions"
The sock is a kids size 7-8, I picked up a 3 pack for $1 so thats 6 diapers plus an 8 pack of shoelaces for $1 so 16 if those. Gotta love the $1 store never know what you'll find.

Sock laid out- side view
43796_diaper_001.jpg

Laid out- top view
I made a slit down part of the "toe" section to make it easier to get on. There are holes cut in the "toe" on the top and in the neck strap (ankle).

43796_diaper_002.jpg

Top view with shoelace. She is small enough that the "neck" is tied together with the laces. Crisscross over back for more support.

43796_diaper_003.jpg

View from above, tied in bow above tail.

43796_diaper_004.jpg

In the "toe" I have a piece of doggy diaper (I found at a thrift store 10 XL for $1.50)

I am only leaving it on for 20-30 minutes at a time to get her used to it. She struggles a bit at first but calms quickly.

Problems so far- if she is just sitting on my shoulder, she reaches around and unties the laces. I need to find some other fastener but am not going to worry until she is bigger. I actually picked up to dog collars at the $1 store for the clips (they were $2 each at walmart) I also picked up some fabric at the thrift store, its stretchy so I'll see later.

UPDATE from DH- He arrived home last night and said "Why is there a duck in the living room? Is this going to be an indoor duck?" I replied that I don't know yet. She is too small to go outside.

For those of you with indoor ducks, adults, what do you house them in at night, when you are not home etc? I have a small dog crate for now but she will outgrow that quickly.

Super easy and super non restricting.....the girls used these briefly when they were bitty. A panty liner cut in half contained any mess
1f609.png

Best part...no tying anything! Heel cut out and decent portion of top cut out....zero pressure or restriction on wings! Cutting out the heel made it much more natural for them to walk, no fabric making them straddle.

Last edited:
Olamina Goose's first sock diaper!

Thanks for the tip! This should be a sticky! I used a panty liner maxi pad (22 count from the dollar store) instead of the dog training pad. I loosely double tied the shoe laces and Ola nibbled at the laces a bit but she couldn't undo it. This was super easy, fast, cheap, and effective!

After class I will post a pic of the diaper.

I am glad that I got her too. She was living in a rabbit hutch in an apartment. Must say that she was pretty well cared for and well socialized.

I purposefully bought pink because I'm hoping I can will the duckling into a female. And I wanted to stop saying he.
lol.png

I looked at diaper sites and it seems that they use swimsuit type fabric. She sometimes gets her feet stuck but only when she climbing up me to get to my shoulder.
love.gif

Olamina Goose's first sock diaper!

Thanks for the tip! This should be a sticky! I used a panty liner maxi pad (22 count from the dollar store) instead of the dog training pad. I loosely double tied the shoe laces and Ola nibbled at the laces a bit but she couldn't undo it. This was super easy, fast, cheap, and effective!

Very cool!

This is AWESOME!! I accidentally discovered duck diapers a few weeks ago on youtube. Last night I googled 'duck diaper diy' and this was the first thing to pop up. What I had in mind was no where near as simple as this. Thanks for the idea!

Omg! Check out my first attempt at sock diaper. Poor Sammy fell on his face and immediately went to sleep!

They kept falling over and running backwards. Definitely not a big hit so far!

:lau that is hilarious, I can't stop laughing yet at the same time feel sorry for him :love

I think I have a project tonight lol.

Oh Quackers use to sleep in a cat crate. Now he's in a huge Rubbermaid bucket that's on it's side so he can go in on his own. At night I put the lid on it so my cats won't mess with him & so I don't wake up to land mines lol. Also I've cut out breathing holes in the lid. :)

Back
Top Bottom