Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

hugs.gif
I don't call this stupid--I call this learning!! You have figured out now some of the probable problems. Say that 3 times fast!!

I hope you will finish this hatch, review the changes you want to make and start again! maybe with just a few eggs to test your new methods!!
jumpy.gif

I like the dry incubation method for my LG. I don't know if applies to your incubator. Do you candle to look at the developing aircell?? I lost my hydrometer and depended on looking at the aircells to determine if the RH was correct.

Hope you will try incubating again.
fl.gif

OH I have no intention of giving up. Like I said there was a time I had great hatches and sometimes still do. Hatched my first eggs at 11 or 12 and did great back then. I also used to raise exotics and did really well with thinkgs like Cockatoos and Macaws. I refused to let some darn chicken eggs beat me. Just mad that I may have killed of over 300 eggs. So not cool. I'm going to finish this hatch and go on with the others the same way I would have and use the LGs for eggs I have waiting to go in. I'm also buying some new equipment as I can. I'm seriously thinking I need to bust out the homemade bators. I had a lot of great hatces in them and stuck them away to replace with factory made. Wasn't so much the methods that sucked, it was letting depression and grieving take over my brain. I should have replaced things a while back and just retired the old instead of re calabrating and then not looking at the right notes. What a dimwit. At least it's just been the last few hatches and possibly my next 4, but at least I'm awake and noticing now.

Last edited:
All done! Incubator cleaned out, unplugged, waiting for the next batch.

I reported my final hatch numbers 29 live hatched for 36 set.

Chicks are all in the brooder tucked in for the night.

Had 1 chick with a weird piece of something hanging out. The chick didn't seem to have a problem walking around dragging it around. It was attracting attention from the other chicks, I clipped it off.

These are BSLs, I am counting 17 pullets and 12 roosters.

I would be glad to post a picture, but I have been down to an iPhone only for a few weeks. Not even wanting to try to figure out how to post pictures from an iPhone.

I am stil hatching - hopefully. I am just now on day 21 tonight. I had one pip Friday morning and this afternoon since it had been over 24 hours, more like 36 house I decided to help since he hadnt made any more progress. The membrane was pretty dry. Helping went well but it looks like there is a little bit of unabsorbed yolk so maybe I should have let him alone. I had to candle the other and I saw movement and heard peeing in one of them. I upped my humidity a bit more so hopefully I will have a few more chicks. They are silkies. Usually the bantams hatch a day or two early. I though I would have more pips by now but I think I had a temp spike during incubation.

The 2 that were in my incubator hatched. I only had 2 fertile ones and they both hatched I think that was pretty good.

Here they are....

The ones under the broody haven't hatched yet. And they are the ones I was doing for this hatch along. I wasn't expecting to get anything from the incubator as this is my first time incubating.

Can I use these in the cutest chick contest? how many are we aloud?

Countrygirl: I believe Sticky Chick Syndrome (ya like that? i just made it up.) is caused by a humidity problem. I believe it is a lack of humidity? but could be wrong.

Well I have 4 out and no more pips. Not a single silkie
hit.gif
. I am going to let them go for a while longer and hope for the best. When do you know that they are done?

Countrygirl: I believe Sticky Chick Syndrome (ya like that? i just made it up.) is caused by a humidity problem. I believe it is a lack of humidity? but could be wrong.

the humidity is at 73% was at 75% they seem to trying to fluff up but their feathers seem stuck and hard looking also i just look i now haw 19 out with number 20 due at any min

Back
Top Bottom