Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

No doubt about it, he's injured.
I think if it were me, I'd hobble him back up and put him in the cup and keep him warm and fed.
If he's not better in two days then I'd probably cull.
hugs.gif
Poor chick, sorry ChestnutRidge. I had one like that in my Spring Hatch. Couldn't fix him
sad.png
I had a NH chick that had one leg perpendicular to the other behind it's back. For ten days I held it for every speck of food and every drop of water. It now runs!!! I couldn't cull it, because otherwise it was vigorous and wanted to live. I named it Penelope (for Penelope Cruz from the pirate movie, peglegged). Unfortunately, Penelope now is starting to develop a little color in the comb and wattles, so may end up Johnny Depp. But I put so much time/energy/care into this chick, it will have a pet home in the pasture with the sheep. It can't go into a breeding program, but I can't cull it either.
That is the difficult decision. Without a clear diagnosis, you can only try until you decide otherwise.
For the person with the injured chick leg, smear triple antibiotic ointment on it at least twice a day. I'd put it in a different brooder if you can so the other chicks don't pick on it. It'll take a day or two before it'll put weight on it.
Then you can start doing chicken physical therapy - I made her run a few feet to my hands then got crickets and mealworms when she was getting stronger.
Thank you so much, everybody. This is why I love these group hatches and BYC. I'm going to keep trying and see how it goes. I'm a teacher, so I am actually on spring break this upcoming week. I have plenty of time to baby a chick and see if it can make any difference.

The EE is front is my favorite. I am in
love.gif
with the face!! My oldest has named it Brownie
She is adorable!
love.gif

I only have 5 Basque from my 15, but I am still thrilled. Probably because my other shipped eggs, I only have 1 of 17, and one stalled out pip.
There are still 6 Basque eggs in there. At least 2 of them looked good at lockdown, so I haven't given up yet.
I hope your chick with the bad leg makes a recovery! I don't even know if I have any injuries. The incubator is packed, and I'm afraid to open it because there are a few pips in there.
16 of the 30 that made it to lockdown are out.
Good luck with your remaining eggs, and thank you. Thank you also for putting it in perspective. I am also truly thrilled to have those that I do.
hugs.gif

Well I pulled the Silkie egg out and helped it out of the egg. It's just laying there breathing. But Idk if it's going to make it. The other one still hasn't done anything but it keeps peeping. Idk if I need to go in and help it too. My dad says theres a 50/50 chance with those two but if I don't help it out then it's not going to live at all. So Although i'm in tears and its completely nerve wracking assisting. I think I'm going to have to go in. While I took the white silkie out the other AM popped out of it's shell. Big feet on it. So I have three chicks out. One sitting there in the shell crying and one zipping. I don't think I will ever do this again.
sad.png
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

The other one's leg is just like that. Laid all the way back. This one tried to get up but can't stand.
I found this website to be very helpful: https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces It lists poultry feet and leg problems, causes, treatments, etc.

A beautiful mix! I love all of your colors!

My broody Icelandic and 6 chicks (she has #7 now, too). Her clutch was too many for her to cover, so I put the extras in the incubator and they are now hatching.

Beautiful!!!
love.gif
I love pictures of broodys and chicks.

Beautiful picture. It looks peaceful.

I have lots of chirping going on. I try really hard not to shine too much light in the bator. I have them in the closet and it is dark like under the hen, the hatched chicks don't roll the others around as bad. I have one hatched, zipping, haven't checked in a while. Just listening. You always know when one hatches. Good luck for everyone who is still hatching.
Michele

Last edited:
NUMBER 20 OUT!!!!!!!!!! Looks like i will be up late again tonight and be hatching for the next few days because when i candled them an hr before lockdown all 73 eggs had moving chicks in them so i have 53 more to go and i still have several pips well 52 todo one piped then died.

17 out of 73 out so far and still going do not understand why they are taking their time plus a fre have their fluff stuck to them what causes this

Here is a link to some good information: Hatchability Problem Analysis.

1. Sign: Sticky chicks; chicks smeared with albumen. Causes:
    1. Low incubation temperature.
    2. High incubation humidity.
    3. Improper turning. This results in reduced embryonic membrane growth and reduced nutrient absorption.
    4. Old eggs.
    5. Very large eggs.
  2. Sign: Chicks stuck in shell, dry; chicks with shell fragments stuck to down feathers. Causes:
    1. Humidity too low during egg storage, incubation, and/or hatching.
    2. Improper egg turning.
    3. Cracked eggs or poor shell quality.

My hatch is done... Started with 71, locked down 61 and hatched 51. Hmmmm.... 10 must be my un-lucky number.
lol.png

All chicks are healthy, fluffy and already eating and drinking.

I did not read ALL the post I missed today. Over 30 pages.
ep.gif
th.gif

The only good thing today is I have three Am's. Here's two. Dexter, the black and yellow. Don't ask why but that's just the name that popped in my head when I look at it. So regardless of sex it will be called Dexter.

Back
Top Bottom