Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Nothing for me yet under my broody except a broken egg with a quarter-sized black blob in it.
sad.png
. So I'm down to 5 eggs, no pips...or peeps.

Sorry about the one but maybe that means the other 5 are good.
fl.gif

Please help if you can.

Okay. Here's my little chick that was in a cup. I've been feeding him baby parrot food all day, and because he was getting his eye picked in the brooder, he's been in my shirt for most of the afternoon.
hide.gif
It's helped because it's been easy to feed him and see what's going on.

So, he's getting much more vigorous but still can't stand. One leg seems fine but the other is messed up. Now that it's been awhile, one of his hock joints looks contused. It is swollen or malformed and larger than the other. When I feel it, the thigh bone connects to the center of the joint and the shin bone leaves from the center too, so the joint is in place. I can move the joint in a full range of motion and he can move it some. But he doesn't stand.

Please advise. I'm afraid I am getting attached and I'd really like to see him get better.

Look at the joint on the left-hand side of the photograph. That's the leg not working.
When I see this in one of my chicks, I don't use the boot. I have tried several different ways, then, I found out what worked best. You think because the foot..ankle area is messed up, then a boot is needed, right? I found that taping each individual toe..with electical tape, does the trick! You just need to keep those toes straight, then the ankle and foot almost always straightens out! So simple. I am thinking it really doesn't need too much food at this point. Smashed egg is good for it..not sure about the bird seed though. Just water, and food once in while. I am responding to this post waay back when..so not sure if someone else has mentioned anything..good luck..maybe I'll see more on this little one as I catch up on posts! :))

Just checking in
frow.gif
to say that I have 3 silkies and 1 golden campine hatched. The other part of my hatch was set Monday evening the 19th, and I hope that part goes much better than this first part.

My hatch is complete with 16 out of 24. I am happy with the results wished more Lav's hatched but oh well. My first 4 came from 3 year old hens and the chicks are huge compared to the pullet chicks
Here is everyone

The 4 bigger chicks

The EE is front is my favorite. I am in
love.gif
with the face!! My oldest has named it Brownie

I am dying to see how the chick in the back with the brownish/red face turns out. Hopefully she has an all black body with just the brownish/red face. There are 2 just like this and unfortunately I do not know who laid them
he.gif
I did not see the egg they came out of.
Darling..love those puffy cheeks!

Congrats to everyone on their hatches!
Mine is complete. I bought 6 turkey eggs, received 8, had all 8 develop, 7 made it to lockdown, 7 hatched.
wee.gif
I am thrilled. They were shipped eggs, first time incubating turkeys, in a staggered hatch in a still air lg with chickens, ducks, geese, and quail. The last one just finished hatching a few minutes ago, the first hatched late last night.
Here's the babies in the brooder so far.

Back
Top Bottom