Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Woo, finally caught up!! So far I have 6 chicks out, one was half-way zipped and died sometime last night
hit.gif
. I have 7 eggs left, I'm not sure how much longer to wait on them? I see a lot of people are turning off their incubators and chucking the unhatched eggs. My set time was around 1:30pm, say 21 hasn't technically ended yet, right?
hu.gif

Woo, finally caught up!! So far I have 6 chicks out, one was half-way zipped and died sometime last night
hit.gif
. I have 7 eggs left, I'm not sure how much longer to wait on them? I see a lot of people are turning off their incubators and chucking the unhatched eggs. My set time was around 1:30pm, say 21 hasn't technically ended yet, right?
hu.gif
I wouldn't quit yet. Yes, you are correct. Day 21 started at noon (or 1:30).

O.K. So I have 22 chicks out 10 more eggs in the bator with 2 of them pipped later in the evening here about 8 pm, Very Beautiful Healthy babies so far, and it is Day 21 if the last two hatch that pipped this evening it will be 75 % right? How much longer do I wait on the other eggs before I throw in the towel, I am not very patient but I have to get the rest of the chicks out to eat and drink some time.
75 - 80% is the best percentage hatch i have ever gotten when hatching so I am kinda already bummed that the other eggs won't hatch the ones that didn't pip I mean. My Stomach already has that sinking feeling.
sad.png

On a side note I was supposed to have a little girls and her mom over so she could collect some eggs so I left the eggs that were under the broody who had only been on the a couple hours under her so the little girl would have something to collect, since My Cochin has never been truly broody I figured she would be off in the morning, the Gal and her little girl never showed so the broody has been sitting on these eggs for 2 days now and since she went broody no one else in the coop seems to want to lay, I took her and her eggs out of the coop putting a nesting box with straw and her eggs inside a bunny cage so she has just enough room to eat drink and poop outside the nesting box, she was a bit confused as to where her eggs were so I took one of them out and showed her she clucked softly, then followed my hand back into the nesting box decided to lay hunker down before I even got my hand back out, Goofy Girl. I gave her some food and water and she ate like she was starving to death, I know she has been keeping the other girls out of her nest because when I checked she had 3 eggs under her, and when I moved her she had the same eggs under her. she ran out briefly this morning to get a bite to eat the must have ran right back in before the others could get to her nest, I did not realize she was not really eating. She is now sleeping nicely away from the flock on her clutch of eggs where she can eat, drink and potty without worrying about the other Girls getting to her eggs.Even though I am already in chick overload I really hope she is able to hatch something and stays broody the whole time, she would be a great mommy. Her sister cochin was brooding in the other nesting box on nothing then lays an egg and becomes un broody
idunno.gif

Last edited:
helped my pipped chick out... the membrane had gotten tough around him/her and just peeled away, with no blood at all.
Investigated my unpipped, two were quitters, small yolk sac and a much larger yolk sac. One unpipped is still alive, with quite a bit of blood where I investigated, I got the membrane wet, since it appears shrunken against the chick and will watch it for a while.
Over all, I'm very happy with the hatch! No leg issues, no deformities. Best hatch I've had this year.
smile.png

at this moment... 17 hatched out of 24 with a possible one more.

I was just looking over the entries for this contest.......

1. Kathyinmo's
chicken-87.gif
"Holiday Poultry" Calendar Photo Contest
The goal is to make a poultry and holiday themed calendar. Submit your poultry related holiday pictures - all ranges of poultry age accepted. You will need to submit your photos on this thread as well as PM them to kathyinmo. Submission of your picture(s) to this thread and to kathyinmo means that you are giving permission to use your photo in a calendar printing. Photos must be taken by you, the entrant. Contest runs until Tuesday, April 10. Limit of 3 entries per person. Photos can be seen HERE. Please note which month-holiday you are submitting your photo for. This contest is for participants of the 3rd annual Easter Hatch only.
Prize: A calendar (made from the photos, if we have enough entries [12 months] to make one!)

There are no entries for June or for September.
June..... Father's Day, Flag Day
September..... Labor Day,

Back
Top Bottom